AVG taking hours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG taking hours!

I installed avg today because my Norton av has expired (and good riddance to it!) but up to now, it's been scanning for nearly SIX HOURS!!! I can't believe it takes so long or am I doing something wrong? Admittedly, it was going for 4 hours until I realised it was on medium speed, so I switched to fast scan...and it's still going. I've had to pause it cause' I'm getting www withdrawal symptoms, lol.
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Gareth installed it last week, it did take a few hours, and the next few days the computer was really slow which is why I wasn't on here. I think it has caught up with itself now thankfully! Lol I was having withdrawal symptoms
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

I've been using AVG for a couple of years now, and it only takes a couple of hours for a full scan. Try removing it and re installing.

Comment

You too Louise? Ha ha! The puter seems fast enough. faster than it was anyway, but now I've got to leave the thing on until it finishes - and it's in our bedroom...arrrgh!
        Gail x

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I've been using AVG for a couple of years now, and it only takes a couple of hours for a full scan. Try removing it and re installing.
          If it doesn't finsh soon Peter, I will do that tomorrow. Too tired now, nearly time for some zzzzz's!
          Gail x

Comment

We had the same problem with mcafee even just switching the computer on in the morning takes 25 mins or more and that's not even when it's scanning! Makes you want to take it off and have nothing!
            Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

Phew! It's all sorted now. I hated Norton. It slowed my computer down to almost a halt when I had 'online back up' activated. I de-activated it and it slightly improved, but used to pop up every few minutes and drove me nuts! I'm so glad it's gone, my puters running lovely now.
              Gail x

Comment

Generally you don't need to run a full scan every day...

Your really just need to run 1 full scan then scan all incoming data..

Scan fully say once a week and you should be fine..

If you stay away from "bad" site e.g. software/p-o-r-n etc.. And don't download anything the chance of getting anything are very low..

hope that helps..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I got fed up with AVG eating my system, so I took it off and put Avast on, seems to like my system, saying that, I then decided to try another one Avira, that one seems to just work without knowing that it's there.
                  www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

I much prefer Avast as I think I had a few problems with AVG which is why I changed to Avast. Again I would recommend that a Boot scan is run at least once a week. What that does is scan your computer before it comes on properly. Quite scary the first time you see it. I also like how you get a wee pop up every day showing you that the virus data base has updated...very comforting.
                    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                    My blog
                    Facebook

Comment

When I changed from AVG to Avast I had the same thing, but I think it was because Avast was picking up on all the little nasties that AVG had missed. It runs fine now. The only thing that slows my computer now is Windows Defender, if that runs a scan, I cant use the computer at all til its finished!
                      Diane
                      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi, I switched to AVG after my Norton Antivirus expired to save money. Unfortunately we ended up with virus after virus, especially trojans. Therefore I have gone back to Norton because even though it slows up the computer at least it is now safe.

Don't forget to install a firewall if you switch to AVG as I think thats why I kept getting the viruses in the first place.

Best wishes
                        x

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                          When I changed from AVG to Avast I had the same thing, but I think it was because Avast was picking up on all the little nasties that AVG had missed. It runs fine now. The only thing that slows my computer now is Windows Defender, if that runs a scan, I cant use the computer at all til its finished!

I looked this up and notice you can have a free edition - is this what you have or do you pay?
                          Gail x

Comment

Used free AVG on last computor, it woked well, but I have heard that the latest version is a pain, too big and slow. Easy to get, just type in AVG free and download from the many that will come up, just be carefull as its easy to click the wrong link and end up on a pay version.
                            This putor runs on Ubutu so not nearly as many virus probs

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                              I looked this up and notice you can have a free edition - is this what you have or do you pay?

Avast is free you just have to register it. The registration key lasts for about 13 months I think.....its a weird length of time anyway
                              Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                              Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                              My blog
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X