I've just been made redundant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just been made redundant

I've been off work for a week and I go in today and apparently there was an email and a meeting yesterday just telling everyone about what was going to happen. So I get there this morning and get called into a meeting. So i'm thinking it's the same meeting as everyone else had yesterday but instead i get told that my "employment is being terminated with immediate effect" which means "please collect your things and go"!!!

I did suspect it would be me because I've only been there 6 months but I thought there'd be at least SOME notice!!

So now I'm crafting like a mad woman as if that will somehow make things OK.

I just saying the f word a lot.

Ah well, onwards and upwards...
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Im so sorry to hear that, I hope you find something really soon, take care and who knows where the crafting will lead eh? Good Luck xx

P.S I have just been looking at your crafty wares on your site, absolutely gorgeous!! your so talented!
    Last edited by autumn rose; 11-02-2009, 04:53 PM.
    Sarah

Comment

were u still on ur probationary period then? if not check ur contract and u may be able to claim back on unfair dismissal. but if ur in ur probationary period, unfortunately they can sack with no questions asked :/
      Last edited by Warlax; 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM.
      Mod edit - please stick to urls only.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear that and I hope something comes up for you soon, you never know this may be the opportunity to get your crafts to really take off *hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Warlax View Post
          were u still on ur probationary period then? if not check ur contract and u may be able to claim back on unfair dismissal. but if ur in ur probationary period, unfortunately they can sack with no questions asked :/
          Yeah I had thought about this. I'm no longer in my probation nope but they said that they were going to pay me in lieu of notice.

It's a law firm. I reckon that they've probably got the legalities covered. But a friend of mine is asking a lawyer friend of hers for me.

but thanks for the thought!
          Yvonne
          x

Comment

Oh dear what a horrible thing to happen. I have been made redundant twice, both times with notice periods. the first one I staid til the end as there was a bonus, the second time I walked within a few days!
            I hope yuo can make your way with your crafts, your stuff is great.
            Best of luck

Comment

*HUGS* Best of luck with whatever you do next
              "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
              Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
              http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mymiyel View Post
                Yeah I had thought about this. I'm no longer in my probation nope but they said that they were going to pay me in lieu of notice.

It's a law firm. I reckon that they've probably got the legalities covered. But a friend of mine is asking a lawyer friend of hers for me.

From experience from working in a Law firm get the small print checked as they are not above thinking they are above the law, I for one would never work for a law firm again as I saw how they got rid of staff in the past. It is worth getting your situation checked out, one thing go to a CAB out of the area.

Sorry to hear the news though, never easy losing your job.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                  From experience from working in a Law firm get the small print checked as they are not above thinking they are above the law, I for one would never work for a law firm again as I saw how they got rid of staff in the past. It is worth getting your situation checked out, one thing go to a CAB out of the area.

Sorry to hear the news though, never easy losing your job.
                  Thanks Caroline, I feel the same way now too. If only I could work full time for myself. Everyone would agree then!

I'll probably get it checked out. My dad works at a CAB so I will talk to him later.
                  Yvonne
                  x

Comment

Originally posted by Warlax View Post
                    You cant claim unfair dismissal if they use the words "redundant"!

However, if you find they take on someone else to do your exact job within the next 6 months then you have a claim, redundancy means excess to requirements, if they therefore employ someone else it was then a sacking which you could then to go on to claim as being unfair. Even if you were within your probationary period, and they have sacked you, they have to tell you why. What have they said in terms of a reference?
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by mymiyel View Post

That's why you have had to leave immediately, I worked in law for years and some firms wanted people to leave immediately because you could really mess their cases up if you felt unfairly treated. Remember working in law you are dealing with confidential matter, the same as in medicine
                      Diane
                      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Working...
                      X