Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My house is soooooo cold!!! Any ideas please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My house is soooooo cold!!! Any ideas please?

I can see my breath right now! According to my n-power thermometer, it's 9C in my bedroom which means I'm at risk of hypothermia. Good to know.

I rent, so there's not a whole lot I can do but there is no double glazing, no central heating and there was about a half inch gap under the front door (it's a flat).

There's just a gas fire in the living room but I don't want to put that on too much because of bills. I've made a draught excluder and put that under the front door and I've stuck cling film to the windows. And I have about 7 layers of clothes and a hat on.

Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be brrrrrrilliant
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

A hot waterbottle would be good!
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

hot soup, you need to warm up from the inside as well. If you feel up to it how about housework, I know it's not a great thought but it does warm you up.
      My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

Get in touch with the landlord and ask get him to change places with you for a week, I'm sure he'd make some changes then! When me and my son were in a council house I bought a Superser gas heater, with the bottle in the back. That way I could refill as and when, no unexpected bills and it was lovely and hot too.
        Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
          Get in touch with the landlord and ask get him to change places with you for a week, I'm sure he'd make some changes then! When me and my son were in a council house I bought a Superser gas heater, with the bottle in the back. That way I could refill as and when, no unexpected bills and it was lovely and hot too.
          So true!!

I don't even know what a Superser heater is but it sounds good so I'm off to google it now!!

Thanks!
          Yvonne
          x

Comment

Maybe a little fan heater? They're only cheap. Are you sure it's OK to have a house without central heating?-maybe you should tell him to install it?

Visit my blog!
            http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
            www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyCrafts View Post
              Maybe a little fan heater?
              I think they're a little heavy on the electricity

We had something similar to the Superser heater nettie's talking about, years ago when we were in a flat that had no CH in it and the gas bottle lasted for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                A hot waterbottle would be good!
                I second that! If you get one with the furry cover they are so cosy to cuddle and warm up with
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Oh you poor thing, thats sound inhuman!

Ok, hot water bottle, hot soup/drink, jog on the spot, halogen heaters are good (hubby has one he works in a shed and says its the best), sleeping bag, you can get like a shrink wrap plastic you put on your windows and put a hairdryer on it - kinda like double glazing, those little hot gel packs you can boil/microwave, sleep and live in the same room (with the fire).

Good luck and complain to your landlord,. thats sounds dreadful in this weather.

Comment

In the evening I used to push it out into the hall and open up the bedroom doors too so by bedtime it was nice and warm upstairs too. Yep, it seemed to last for ages and I think it used to be only something like 10 pounds to refill it. Must admit it's not a pretty thing to look at, but it does the job!
                    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Some great ideas! Some hot soup sounds lovely right about now.

Thing is it's difficult because I sit and make stuff for most of the day and because I'm hardly moving it means that I get even colder! I try to break up the day with random housework - you're right, Sherrielinda it does help a lot! Two birds one stone kind of thing.
                      Yvonne
                      x

Comment

I would get on to the local council, I think you need one of their inspectors to come round, surely in this day and age a landlord cannot rent out such a place. Do you rent privately or through a letting agent? perhaps get on to them. But definitely get on to the council, I'm sure the conditions you describe cannot be legal.
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/
                          george
                          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I agree that you need to complain. Totally not on, even in normal weather circumstances. Right now, you should do whatever it takes to stay warm and send your landlord the bill.

The one thing I do do keep myself warm(er) when I'm sitting in one place for extended periods of time is to have a hot water bottle under my feet. If your feet are warm, then usually the rest of the body follows. Works for me.
                            Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
                            ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Comment

I have a little penny an hour heater - if I leave it on all day and night it only costs 24p. Does not throw out a great heat but raises the chill factor and you can sit VERY close to it with feet under and hands on.
                              Moonbeam is right, if you wrap a wooly scarf around your middle and lower back covering your kidneys it will help somewhat.
                              Carol
                              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X