How old is grandad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is grandad?

Just been sent this, I couldn't believe it but it sure makes you think!!

MAKE SURE YOU READ IT FROM START TO FINISH IT WILL FRIGHTEN YOU

Scary when you think about it!!……..

How old is Granddad?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
    The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
    'television

'penicillin

'polio shots

'frozen foods

'Xerox

'contact lenses

'Frisbees and

'the pill

There were no:

'credit cards

'laser beams or

'ball-point pens
    Man had not invented:

'pantyhose

'air conditioners

'dishwashers

'clothes dryers

'and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

'man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . And then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'.
    And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a
    title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare
    centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a
    bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the
    evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters,
    yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were
    all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on
    enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . .. . But who could afford one?
    Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon..

In my day:

''grass' was mowed,

''coke' was a cold drink,

''pot' was something your mother cooked in and

''rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.

''Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,

'' chip' meant a piece of wood,

''hardware' was found in a hardware store and

''software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused, and say there is a generation gap...
    And how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at
    the same time.

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 53 years old

Reading through that I automatically had an old man in his 80's or something in mind, not someone of the same generation as my dad

Certainly makes you stop and think!!

Comment

Help I can't be that old Can i?????????

Janice Phoenixjewellery from

http://www.phoenixfabrics.co.uk
      http://phoenixjewellery.blogspot.com/
      http://phoenixbridal.blogspot.com/
      http://bernie-bear.blogspot.com

Comment

mmm shows I must be old, I remember the time BEFORE computers and mobile phones. We only had three channels on tv (if you had one and that was probably black and white) when video recorders came in they had a lead with the remote on the end and loaded from the top! We had 78's, 45's and EP's! (remember those!)

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads were 4 for half pence. £1 was a note and coins were bigger.

We were scared of, our teachers, our parents, the police and authority in general, we had respect for almost everyone.

and we could play in the street or park! Summers were HOT and Winters were COLD (with real snow)!

So how old am I?????
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

cards by design

Omg,i am older than that but i'll tell you now ---- it makes me feel quite proud to think we had all that then look at the world today in comparison mmmmmmm (still can't spell though can i? ) Angie.x

Comment

Gosh, he is only a chicken

I could add that,

Being gay meant feeling happy

There was a word that seems to have disappeared from our language - ashamed!

Young girls died having back street abortions.

I could go on

have we progressed though?

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
              We were scared of, our teachers, our parents, the police and authority in general, we had respect for almost everyone.

and we could play in the street or park! Summers were HOT and Winters were COLD (with real snow)!
              I remember those times too... though in my latter years at school people weren't as respectful of authority and even then it really annoyed me. I wish people would learn to have more respect, it would make society a far nicer place

As for cold Winters with proper snow, I wish we could bring those days back... the days when the different seasons were different, instead of the weather all merging them into one.

Comment

Its so wierd isn't it?

I remember the days when teachers were allowed to put sunscreen on children before they went into the playground on hot sunny days!!!!
                Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Wow my sister is 53 !! (and I'm only two years behind. ssshh.. don't tell)
                  I remember the old LSD money, when crisps were all plain and came with a blue twist of salt, Coca Cola only came in the retro style bottles and you got money back from returning the Corona fizzy drinks bottles, calculators were huge and very expensive, and all phones had a dial not push buttons.
                  Oh gosh I feel old now.

Melanie

Comment

I remember going to the shops with an old penny and being told it was no longer legal tender. I was gutted cos I used to be able to buy 8 Black Jacks or Fruit Salads for my old penny and not 4 for a new penny!!!!!!
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Thats just the sort of thing my dad would reply if someone asked him!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                        mmm shows I must be old, I remember the time BEFORE computers and mobile phones. We only had three channels on tv (if you had one and that was probably black and white) when video recorders came in they had a lead with the remote on the end and loaded from the top! We had 78's, 45's and EP's! (remember those!)

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads were 4 for half pence. £1 was a note and coins were bigger.

So how old am I?????
                        Think we must be about the same age! I remember all of this.

If you look at it another way the world and technology has progressed more in our lifetime than it ever has and we have had the privilege to live through it all.
                        Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                          Think we must be about the same age! I remember all of this.

If you look at it another way the world and technology has progressed more in our lifetime than it ever has and we have had the privilege to live through it all.
                          But have we progressed?

In many ways yes - but sadly ! fear in many ways maybe not(:

Jane
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I remember all that as well.

I remember my dad buying our first telly it had a 12" screen and took 5 minutes to warm up!

Dixon of Dock Green on Saturday nights and Billy Cotton's Band show with Russ Conway he was fit!

I remember when cheese and onion crisps first came out we thought it was wonderful, crisps with a flavour.

We didn't have a phone there was a phone box on the main road and sometimes you had to queue but it was always working and nobody used it as a toilet.

When I started work in 1965 they had a computer installed it was the size of two double wardrobes.

We had a Dansette record player and you could stack 10 singles on it.

When you think today how many albums you can fit on an Ipod, and hundreds of photos on a memory stick.

I think progress is wonderful, I am computer literate I can use a digital camera but I still need a 12 year old to program the DVD to record.

But I think there was more respect then, we didn't give cheek to any grown-up, we didn't call grown ups by their first name it was always Mr Smith or Mrs Brown.

My mum God bless her always cleaned the front step every day, she knitted all my jumpers and cardigans without patterns, she used to make me beautiful pleated skirts all hand sewn because she didn't have a sewing machine.

We always sat at the table for our evening meal, all together all eating the same thing. On Sundays we had salmon salad, fruit and cream and Mum's home made cake and after tea we would play board games or cards.

I'm not a granny yet (I live in hope) but the scary thing is my grandad was born in 1865.
                            I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                              But have we progressed?

In many ways yes - but sadly ! fear in many ways maybe not(:

Jane
                              In some ways it is sad that things have changed as as you said and not always for the better, being polite to adults is one thing that bugs me, I would never have got away with how some of the children behave now.

On the other hand I could not live without my iphone, Apple computer, broadband, computerised sewing machine. I do miss the travel on the roads back then, quiet drives no longer exist and traveling can cause a headache, saying that my car is more reliable now but bump starting used to be part of the fun.

I think the older you get you always look more fondly to the past and sometimes through rose tinted glasses but it also gives an appreciation of what we have now.

Comment

Working...
                              X