This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!!

Don't usually post this type of thing but I'm feeling sorry for myself.

I'm supposed to be doing one hundred and one things today but can't do any....I've got toothache. I never get toothache and this is really bad. I've been up most of the night in pain, I've taken painkillers, used CraftyFoxni's heat pad and nothing is working.

Any ideas of how to ease the pain??? I've got an emergency appointment at the dentist this afternoon but I can't concentrate because all I keep doing is holding my mouth and saying "ouch!!!"

I wouldn't mind but the pain is coming from a tooth that supposed to have no nerve or root!
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Poor you, last time I had pain like that I had a cracked tooth and needed root canal treatment

Cloves are supposed to ease toothache, but frankly I'd dose yourself up with nurofen and try to hang on in there till you see the dentist.

Good luck and big hugs
    xoxo
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Thank you, I will do, I think the pain is coming from a tooth that I had problems with before Christmas, part of it came away from the filling, I didn't have pain and had it filled when I had a checkup on 14th January, it seems since then the problems have started, thought the tooth was just sensitive because I'd had treatment, but it has just got worse and worse. Just hope the can do something this afternoon.
      Diane

Comment

cards by design

Poor you,hope it feels better soon xxxxx

Comment

Oh no, there really is nothing worse than toothache, I hope the dentist can do something for you this afternoon.

My grandpa always used to swear by some whisky on cotton wool pressed against the troublesome tooth as it apparently numbs it, but I'm not sure that's a good idea if you've had medication

Can you get to a shop for Bonjela and put loads of that on and around the tooth to try to numb it until you get to a dentist?

Hope you start to feel better soon *hugs*

Comment

Maybe you're suffering a similar thing to what happened to my daughter a while back. She has some teeth with no enamel so they are prone to crumbling. A big piece came off one tooth so the dentist filled it. Unfortunately bacteria had got into the hole and the filling sealed it in so it set up an infection. The dentist explained that as we normally have bacteria in our mouths it's not usually a problem, but because it got trapped in a small space with nowhere to go it got infected.

Hope they sort you out later anyway, fingers crossed for you. Toothache is miserable.
            Elinor
            x

My Misi page
            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
              My grandpa always used to swear by some whisky on cotton wool pressed against the troublesome tooth
              Noooo just the thought of cotton wool on my teeth has set them on edge...maybe it's just me but that's one of those things that makes me shudder

I had dreadful toothache a few weeks ago and typical it started on a Friday so was popping painkillers all weekend - was all set to phone for an emergency appointment on the Monday morning....and woke up and it had gone and hasn't (touch wood) come back again If you can get to a Chemist go out and buy some Orajel - it's designed for toothache and has a local anaesthic in it.
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hi
                Poor you - toothache is not funny.
                Tap the chewing surface of the tooth - not too hard - with a spoon/fork handle. if you experience pain - it is 99% sure to be an abscess- sometimes a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

HTH

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I would definitely stock up on painkillers! (You CAN take both paracetamol and ibuprofen at staggered intervals as long as you dont exceed the recommended dose of either, this is because they are completely different drugs and work on pain in a different way)

I used to work as a dental nurse (among other things lol) and sadly they cant do anything on the spot for toothache - they will give you a prescription for antibiotics to get rid of the infection, and then you wil have to go back once the infection has gone to get the problem sorted. So once the antibiotics start to work the pain should get better, but until then keep dosing up on the painkillers!

Comment

Thanks all, I have seen the dentist and Cupcake is right I have an infection inside the tooth, right in the root. All because part of the tooth fell out before Christmas, I wasn't in pain so waited til my checkup on 14th January. Of course, no pain so the dentist filled it, and trapped the infection which has steadily got worse over the last two weeks.

I have a prescription of antibiotics and also 400mg ibuprofen tablets.

Have taken one of each and so far the pain has subsided a little (an hour later) but it's still uncomfortable. Also using Agnes's wonderful heat pad, the smell of the lavendar is helping quite a bit.

Clairybear, thanks for that, I didnt think you could mix the two but my sister's gp told her she could when my nephew was ill, he said take one and then you could take the other 2 hours later.

The dentist said not to take anything else, but I will ring the chemist to check.

Got to go back to the dentist Thursday, and decide if I want root canal treatment or the tooth out. Think I will opt for the tooth out!

Thanks for all the good wishes. xxx
                    Diane

Comment

Glad it's all sorted now

Yes would have to agree with you, after hearing lots of stories about root canal treatment, I'd opt for getting it out too

Comment

Thanks, the ibuprofen which I can only take every 8 hours only lasted 3 so I'm glad I can take paracetamol in between! I will be glad when the antibiotics kick in (that will teach me for not getting to the dentist sooner rather than later!)

Roll on Thursday!
                        Diane

Comment

ah diane i'm sorry you've got toothache but i'm glad you got my heat pad some things are just ment to be now you have the tablets and painkillers things should start to feel a little better ..... failing that try the whiskey but without the cotton wool (just take it neat ) at least you won't feel the pain and get a good nights sleep and the painkillers will be there for the hangover in the morning
                          i suffer from sensitive teeth after a bad experiance with my old dentist, who has since been struck off!!!!!
                          while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

Hi

Did you know antibiotics are a £ a bucket load in Europe? And available OTC.

Take a note of the generic name of your antibiotic and strength- next time in Spain or wherever on your "jolleys" pop into the ******** buy a load, to have in your cupboard - saves a fortune on Rx charges

Jane
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

The whisky sounds like a good idea but I cant even stand the smell of the stuff!

As to antibiotics. I am fortunate that I am very rarely ill and have to use them, so in theory they should work quite quickly as my body isnt used to them.

Can't even remember the last time I had antibiotics!
                              Diane

Comment

Working...
                              X