Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important news for pet owners, please read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important news for pet owners, please read!

I sincerely hope I can post this here as I know a lot of you have pets, especially cats & dogs. Please read it for you pets sake! Regards, Gail.

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do. Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk .. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly. Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.' The Snopes site gives the following information: http://www.snopes. com/critters/ crusader/ cocoamulch. asp Cocoa Mulch , which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores , contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine' . It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of the eobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean

Shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingest Ed cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine. PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION! !!
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Just bringing thread back up again. Thanks for the information Gail.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks for that, I knew that chocolate was harmful to cats and dogs so probably wouldnt have bought the mulch, although saying that, I might have thought it just had a chocolate smell and given it a go, so thank you.

I have one cat who won't eat strange things, unless it's bubble wrap!!! but the other one will try anything!

Apart from that, we get a lot of visiting cats and wildlife to our garden so would hate to poison them.

Is it just cats and dogs I wonder? what about squirrels and birds, eg pheasants we get all these in our garden, would they be affected?
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I'd just go on the 'It's better to be safe than sorry' route. My garden is postage stamp size anyway, so not in need of mulching, but I definitely wouldn't buy anything that poses a risk to either domestic pets or wildlife.
        Gail x

Comment

Thanks for the warning I have posted it to my other forums I frequent.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I've just clicked on the link but can't get to the website mentioned.

I have told my inlaws in Wales though as they have dogs.

Thanks again for the info. I won't be buying any mulch for my garden, I'm gonna start composting instead.!
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Try this link:
              http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
              Gail x

Comment

Thank you for sharing this... I'll definitely pass it on to everyone in my email contacts and the other forums.

Comment

I knew about that one and won't let the stuff anywhere near our garden and I always check if we take our dogs anywhere aswell to make sure that awful stuff is nowhere to be seen.

Good info for those who don't know about it though. We have to look after our little four legged best friends.
                  by Nicki
                  www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Working...
                  X