Having a new kitchen!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a new kitchen!!

Going to B & Q tomorrow for a kitchen quote! Not having a fancy kitchen, but we want to sell, so need to get a new one in order to do that (our current one was in the house when we bought and is shocking!)

I'm quite excited, as I never get new things we will be going round all the other places that sell kitchens as well, but wondered if anyone had a new kitchen recently that could recommend somewhere, or a bad experience with a place that I should avoid??

Stacey

Ooh lucky you!
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Got a new kitchen last year and after going round all the different places, we settled on Ikea, priced was great and had exactly what we wanted.
      OH fitted it in 2 days.

Have had a very bad personal experience with B&Q as they subcontract all their work out (or they did then, anyway) and the workmen we awful, we went through 3 lots of builders Would never recommend them to anyone.

Google 'B&Q customer complaints' and you'll see for yourself

Comment

Originally posted by krafty1 View Post
        Got a new kitchen last year and after going round all the different places, we settled on Ikea, priced was great and had exactly what we wanted.
        OH fitted it in 2 days.

Have had a very bad personal experience with B&Q as they subcontract all their work out (or they did then, anyway) and the workmen we awful, we went through 3 lots of builders Would never recommend them to anyone.

Just Google B&Q complaints and you'll see for yourself
        Unfortunately our nearest Ikea is over 2 hours away
        We were going to fit the kitchen ourselves though, as can't afford to pay for installation - will check out the complaints though - Thanks!

Comment

Have fun on the kitchen hunt. I'd love a new cooker - hate the one that came with the house, but it's built in and I'm not sure I'm ready for a bit of a mess just to get that out and install a nice new freestanding jobby that I'd rather have (easier to change cookers if it goes wrong). I'm waiting for my dad to retire to help us with that one!
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

If you are going to sell anyway I wouldn't bother Thenew owners nearly always rip out the existing kitchen For whatit's going to cost you I would deduct this from your selling price if they ask.
            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
              If you are going to sell anyway I wouldn't bother Thenew owners nearly always rip out the existing kitchen For whatit's going to cost you I would deduct this from your selling price if they ask.
              This is true but we had two house choices-

1. Was bigger, but in much need of a new kitchen, bloke had knocked down price because of this.

2. Not quite as big, more money, brand new kitchen, double oven (cost best part of £10k!)

We chose the second one because the thought of having to live in a building site with no kitchen put us off. I can confidently say the kitchen sold it for us
              MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Just found out that Wickes have a really good sale on just now.
                Try the Lincoln range, think the prices are probably the best

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Kitchens/Kit...t/kitrangeinst

Comment

We did exactly the same to sell our place down in Dorset and have done up a few other houses/bungalows over the years, new kitchen, bathroom, recarpet throughout etc., and if you can do it cheaply enough then it does help sell. We got the kitchen from B&Q and whilst the kitchen was lovely, a simple cream, shaker sort of style with pine knobs, it was the delivery time that was the bad point. So all I'd advise is just check the time scale and go over every item on the bill too, there were a couple of slip ups, one digit out and we had cherry kickboards instead of cream and one door was the wrong width, that sort of thing. Good luck and have fun...ooh and take some before and after pictures, they're fun to look at after too and helps give yourself a pat on the back when you look at them
                  Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I bought my council house 6 years ago and a fitted kitchen was the first thing on my shopping list as, typical of a council house, all I had were 2 small wall cupboards and one double base cupboard. Because I had a very tight budget I shopped around. I (with the help of Urbtaf (we had only just started seeing each other then)) drew a rough plan of what I wanted and I used Homebase to draw up better plans as they offered a free service. I then shopped around and bought everything separate - cupboards and doors from Homebase, worktops, wall tiles and floor tiles from B&Q, sink from Wickes, tap from Screwfix, range cooker from Comet, fridge and freezer from Iceland. We fitted it together in 2 days, not counting the prep work and tiling beforehand (which I did most of myself once Urbtaf showed me how to). All together it cost me around £1100 and once it was done, I got a family friend who works as a kitchen fitter to come round to have a look at what we'd done and he reckoned I'd saved myself around £5k by shopping around and doing it all myself.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by krafty1 View Post
                      OH fitted it in 2 days.
                      I've been waiting over 4 years now for OH to finish fitting ours The wall units went up quite quickly but still waiting for him to fit the base units, worktops and tiles - so the top half of our kitchen looks lovely and the rest is tatty and old still. We can't afford to get someone in to finish it and hubby decided he hated doing it so I have a feeling he'll only get it finished when we decide to sell.
                      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Well, got the quote for £981. Not bad, but we think we can do better - going to Homebase tomorrow to see what they can offer us!

Comment

Originally posted by staceyjlew View Post
                          . . . . . going to Homebase tomorrow to see what they can offer us!
                          Not sure if they still do it but it worked out a lot cheaper to open up an account with them and get the discount card they have. As soon as I'd got the discounts, I paid up in full to avoid interest. Worth looking into.
                          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Can you get away with just new doors and work tops. Im changing my kitchen at the moment. Ive had glossy biscuit doors and a corian worktop (solid resin) not cheap but because i saved on base and wall units its still pretty cheap and will look stunning when its done

Comment

Really well congrats to you what kind of design do you use in your kitchen... I hope do you have picture of your kitchen... Maybe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X