Moving from Cot to Bed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Cot to Bed!

Yes, I think it's about time I gave up the cot and moved in a grown up bed!

No really - I am having a dilema, I have a 15 month old daughter who is currently in a cotbed (as a cot) and she is not showing any obvious signs that she needs to be in a bed, and to be honest, I don't really want to take the sides off her cot yet, as it will open another issue - moving from grobag to quilt!

Anyway, my problem is that we stay at my parents house quite often, and there she uses a travel cot - only she can't use this much past 18 months and is really getting a little big for it now!

So she will soon have to be in a bed at my parents, and I really wanted her to be in a bed at home first! I've got till beginning of March before I next go to my parents, to make the decision.

What do you all reckon???

Stacey

You could get one of those guardrail thingys that fit to the bed to use at your parent's house when you visit. That will stop her rolling out. I don't see why you can't just keep her in the cot at home until you're good and ready to take the sides off, it's just something different that you do at the gramps. She'll be fine.

My kids came out of their cots in different ways, my daughter kept climbing out and nearly breaking her limbs so we moved her to a bed, she was ready for it, didn't need a barrier and was fine. My son actually broke the base of the cot by jumping up and down on it he was too young to move to a bed and was not ready. We got one of those guard rail things (what are they called?) and that helped enormously.

Having said that they'd both slept in beds, on mattresses on the floor and other strange makeshift things when we'd been on holiday and coped, so I don't think having a different set up from home occasionally while at your parent's will matter terribly in the long run.
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I can't remember how old my children were when they moved from cot to bed, but when I stayed at my parents' my daughter used to sleep in a bed and we put a side rail on it (one of those ones you can get from Mothercare etc).

I suppose it very much depends on how you feel, if your little one is walking steadily and can get up and down on furniture etc without falling over too much, then a bed is ok.

Also another thing would be, what time does your little one get up in the morning? Once they are in a bed they are up and running about and jumping all over you!!!

I think mine were probably around that age when they moved to a proper bed (I didnt have a cot bed which is smaller and lower)
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
        You could get one of those guardrail thingys that fit to the bed to use at your parent's house when you visit. That will stop her rolling out. I don't see why you can't just keep her in the cot at home until you're good and ready to take the sides off, it's just something different that you do at the gramps. She'll be fine.

My kids came out of their cots in different ways, my daughter kept climbing out and nearly breaking her limbs so we moved her to a bed, she was ready for it, didn't need a barrier and was fine. My son actually broke the base of the cot by jumping up and down on it he was too young to move to a bed and was not ready. We got one of those guard rail things (what are they called?) and that helped enormously.

Having said that they'd both slept in beds, on mattresses on the floor and other strange makeshift things when we'd been on holiday and coped, so I don't think having a different set up from home occasionally while at your parent's will matter terribly in the long run.

Great minds think alike!!!!
        Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post

Also another thing would be, what time does your little one get up in the morning? Once they are in a bed they are up and running about and jumping all over you!!!
          I have to say with the guardrail thing on the the bed, my son took ages to realise that he could get out of the bed without my help in the morning, it was a myth I perpetuated for as long as I could get away with it
          Elinor
          x

My Misi page
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
            Great minds think alike!!!!
            .........indeed
            Elinor
            x

My Misi page
            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Thanks guys I had planned to put a guard rail on her cotbed once the sides were down, but I suppose that's not hugely different to the sides on a cot.

Maybe we can use my parents as a test, to see how she gets on with the bed situation!

Comment

She'll probably be fine. You can probably keep her in the grobag too.
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I don't remember how old my son was when he graduated to a big boys bed (he's 18 now) but I do remember that my mother argued he was a bit young at the time but my arguement was that he was climbing out himself so it was less of a fall from the height of the bed than it was from the height of the top of the rail on the cot.

He also stayed at my mum's a lot as I worked nights for about 4 years and I bought one of those soft chairs that fold down to a bed for him to use at their house. At the time they were a lot cheaper than a single bed and I reckoned it was safer as he was basically sleeping on a mattress on the floor so he'd roll out rather than fall out.

One more tip - I put the baby gate outside his bedroom door rather than at the top of the stairs so he didn't come into my room and jump all over me. ;o) Didn't stop him standing there and shouting for me though.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Quote by AuntyNet (One more tip - I put the baby gate outside his bedroom door rather than at the top of the stairs so he didn't come into my room and jump all over me. ;o) Didn't stop him standing there and shouting for me though. )

That's exactly what my sister did with my nephew!
                    Diane

Comment

Child was about 15months when she started escaping from her cot (one of the large old-fashioned ones) - after a few thumps we'd hear her at the top of the stairs.

(we discovered she was putting her large donkey alongside the rail and using him as a step to gate-vault out of the cot, complete with Blue Ted under one arm and Tiggy under the other and not missing a foothold on the way down).

So we left the cotside down until we bought her bed - no point in putting the guard rails on - or a gate at the top of the stairs (if she decided to vault that there could have been problems).

Different kids have different needs - but if you worry too much about whether they'll be OK in a bed they'll pick up the vibes!!
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post

One more tip - I put the baby gate outside his bedroom door rather than at the top of the stairs so he didn't come into my room and jump all over me. ;o) Didn't stop him standing there and shouting for me though.
                        We've just moved the gate from her bedroom door to the top of the stairs, sod she freaked when it went click and screamed at her door! By having at the stairs, she plays with the bookcase in the hallway and somehow, doesn't mind the gate anymore! Anyway - she can't open her door as yet

Comment

Aha, I put a gate across the bedroom door too, which was perfect until the day he wedged his fingers in the doorjamb trying to get out! There was lots of screaming and rather blue fingers and a very guilty mummy because I'd left him to cry for a few minutes as I thought he was just being annoyed at being put down for a nap in the afternoon
                          Elinor
                          x

My Misi page
                          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

[quote=ElaineJ;169369]

(we discovered she was putting her large donkey alongside the rail and using him as a step to gate-vault out of the cot, complete with Blue Ted under one arm and Tiggy under the other and not missing a foothold on the way down).quote]

I think these gro bags really help with the climbing issue, as it's hard for them to stand in them and she certainly could not lift her leg up to the height of the cot!

We've been pretty relaxed parents really and been baby led the whole way through - so i'll keep on that track I guess

Comment

Don't you just love the little dears and they don't get any better as they get older either!!!!!
                              Diane

Comment

Working...
                              X