Laptop Problem, (I think it's dying)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Problem, (I think it's dying)

I have a 2 year old Acer Aspire 5003 laptop with a crystalbrite monitor.

It seems to have developed a strange random feature, this started on Monday night, all of a sudden the screen started doing funny things.

The only way I can discribe it, is like when tv's used to split the picture and you got the top at the bottom and the bottom at the top, and then it starts to scroll up and down, quite rapidly.

Then it does what can only been described as a fade out (a bit like the screen saver that starts at a part of the screen and clears the screen), then I get a lovely tartan effect with nice pastel colours on the screen.

I haven't done anything to damage/knock it, and there is not any particular thing that seems to trigger it. I spoke to the pc shop yesterday and they suggested updating the drivers, I did this and it seemed happy for a while, and then last night it started again. It was even doing it on boot up.

Any ideas please? (it's just started giving worrying flickers again)
    www.jos-beaded-designs.com

i would run i diagnostic test as this will tell you exactly what is going on.

I had all manor of nightmares with my lap top and it turned out to be Vista. Once i changed it to xp it was fine. Also i had a faulty harddrive which i discovered my using diagnostic testing

Every laptop has a different way of entering diagnostic mode with mine i have to press F2 on the boot up screen, there you can test the colour set up, the motherboard, harddrive.....
    Speak to the supplier of your laptop and they will tell you how to do this according to your machine

Maybe start your laptop in safe mode by pressing F8 on the start up screen. This will start the laptop with only the essential items running. then leave it for a while and if it starts doing odd things then it will be a problem with the actual laptop itself.

If it behaves itself in safe mode it will be a problem with the hardware. Which might give you a better chance of acertaining what is the problem.......
    Helen Victoria
    classic and contempory, bespoke jewellery for any occasion
    Phoenix Trader
    http://www.helen-victoria.co.uk
    [email protected]
    www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Helen-Victoria-Jewellery/152577689219?ref=mf.

Comment

Managed to get into the diagnostic thingy, and it didn't find any problems, there's no bug/viruses or anything nasty on there.

Was suggested that we take it apart and check the connections, so we sat and stripped it down yesterday (how many screws in a laptop ) fiddled, prodded and poked, and then put it all back together, switched it on and it started playing up straight away, (but my dead touchpad and buttons are working again now)

My guess is that there is something wrong with the graphics card, but as its a laptop, that means the mobo will need replacinging if that's the case.... bit too expensive, may as well get a new pooter.

So, I am working with smacking it every now and then, using his lordship's computer (when he's not on it) and furiously trying to save up £350 for the computer I want from the local pooter shop.

Comment

Well unbeknown to me, the other half had gotten sick of hearing me swearing at the laptop every time it tried to impress me with it's random feature. And had phoned the pooty shop on Saturday to order me a new system, and we went in on Monday to hand over the spare wireless card so they can put it in.

The system should have been £449, that's for a 256Mb graphics card, (not onboard), 2Gb RAM, 160Gb hard drive, dual core, dvd re writer, also supposed ot have Windows XP Home, Kapersky (?), keyboard, mouse, speakers and a 19 inch monitor.

We said we didn;t need the keyboard, mouse, Windows (We have our own XP Pro), can sort the anti-virus out ourselves and upped the monitor to a 22 inch one, all in for £360.

And the bonus is that it will actually fit on my desk, normal sized desktops don't they are just too big, that;s why I have a laptop, but this one is a micro system.

It should be ready today, but we are collecting it tomorrow (his lorship is away today with a friend and has his card with him!) So the desk is tidy (weyhey I found my desk!!!) and I am getting all upcited about it now!

Comment

I am soooooo jealous - my poooter keeps logging off and switching off on its own. When its switched off already, it will try to switch on.

We've had it back to the shop that sold it to us but "there's nothing wrong with it".

I now have only 3 weeks left before the 12 mth guarantee runs out to convince them that there is something wrong with it.

I am not a happy bunny.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I sympathise with anyone who has a dodgy pooter! Our first one was terrible and PCWorld tried their hardest to wriggle out of repairs and warranties, whatever. My hubby used to just take the tower and dump it on the desk and demand that they fix it - and they did. Mind you, he's a big bloke, so that probably helped? We got a replacement eventually.
            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
              I am soooooo jealous - my poooter keeps logging off and switching off on its own. When its switched off already, it will try to switch on.

We've had it back to the shop that sold it to us but "there's nothing wrong with it".

I now have only 3 weeks left before the 12 mth guarantee runs out to convince them that there is something wrong with it.

I am not a happy bunny.
              Ohhh, AuntyNet, this laptop kept doing that last year, just turning itself off, and it was the hard drive failing, so they put a new drive in, and it never turned it self off again. (didn't have the try to switch on problem though), tell them to get it sorted, hell you sorted out the gas company!

Seriously though, it's either the fan or the drive, I have been told they tend to turn themselves off as a defence thing as they are getting too hot.

Now I am just waiting for him to get up so we can go collect my new one

Comment

Delta, so pleased you have got sorted re pooter - it's like having your right arm lopped off without it isn't it.

Aunty, go back to the shop and threaten to 'Go Live' again if they don't sort it. Once it goes over the 12 months they will wriggle out of it and you've had enough probs with the gas without pooter too.
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I'm going into the shop next week to try and get it sorted. OH went last time so I reckon it needs a "woman's touch".

Now . . . . . about laptops . . . . . .

I broke Urbtaf's web book last night! . . . . . well, I'm saying I broke it but really I was online and it suddenly flashed up with a dreaded blue screen for 1 second and then the screen went blank so it wasn't really me that broke it, it just broke whilst I was using it. The power is still there and you can still hear it whirring when you press a button but the screen is just black and it wont turn off.

That one can definitely go back - it was a freebie with his phone contract in November but it shouldn't have conked out in less than 2 months!

I honestly don't know anyone that goes through computers like I do - we have to get a new one around every 18 months cos they break beyond repair.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                  X