Dreading the journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreading the journey

Well so far here in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, we've managed to escape the snow. We've had some very cold, icy days but no snow. Tomorrow I get to drive to Bury, Manchester all on my own . . . without my trusted OH . . . . and after seeing tonight's weather forecast for the Manchester area I am well and truly bricking it!

I've never driven there or back on a weekday apart from once a few weeks ago and I timed it to avoid the rush hour - I only drive there on Saturdays when there is hardly any traffic on the road. I've only been driving for a year and whilst I do enjoy it, and I'm not a bad driver (for a newby) the thought of crossing the Pennines on the M62 tomorrow is sooooo scarey.

I will have my mother with me so I won't be totally alone but I do wish my OH wasn't ill.

Get well soon Urbtaf!
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

so far no snow tonight Aunty. this morning was just a joke as regards the gritters. motorways fine but local roads the buses even stopped Son took 2 1/2 hours to get 9 miles to school.

Tomorrow they should be more prepared the motorways are well covered and you only have a short distance after that. Take it easy and you will be fine.
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Give yourself plenty of time AuntyN and make sure your windscreen washer is full (have a squirty bottle of water in the car as well - some washer nozzles are prone to freezing up).

It was said, at the time of making, that the M62 was designed so that snow wouldn't settle; I've driven over when it was snowing hard and it wasn't too bad at all - snow settled on the hard shoulder though.
      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
      website
      blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
        It was said, at the time of making, that the M62 was designed so that snow wouldn't settle;
        Pity they didn't design it to stop the rain from settling - its the worst road in the world for the rain not draining off . . we regularly go aquaplaneing!
        Auntynet

Comment

GOOD LUCK NETTY!!!!! SUEXX
          http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't want to worry you but in case you do get stuck in snow for a while it would be a good idea to take a couple of blankets and some extra food and maybe a flask of coffee, so you won't get cold sitting in the car.

Melanie

Comment

And if you get stuck this side of the hills you know where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
                I don't want to worry you but in case you do get stuck in snow for a while it would be a good idea to take a couple of blankets and some extra food and maybe a flask of coffee, so you won't get cold sitting in the car.

Melanie
                Already prepared - we do this journey 3 days every week. And tonight I made a pan full of soup so I'll be taking a flask full of that too. (Made it for Urbtaf cos he's ill - trying to be the dutiful wife - but he doesn't like it!)
                Auntynet

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                  And if you get stuck this side of the hills you know where I am.
                  I got your phone number hun and I'm not afraid to use it.
                  Auntynet

Comment

good. There's a spare bed as long as you don't mind the boxes.

Comment

And where's my mother gonna sleep?
                      Auntynet

Comment

Its a double.

Comment

I once travelled along an empty M62!

Christmas Day in the early 70s - OH #1 was a nurse and there'd been a sudden change of shift so I hadn't planned anything.

"We'll go to P & A" (cousin and husband near York - we were in N.Wales)

"Can't do that - they won't be expecting us"

But off we went and arrived just as A was carving.

"Oh, you here. Move up you bains and let them sit down. Staying the night are you?"

(Typical understated Yorkshire welcome)
                          ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                          website
                          blog

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                            Its a double.
                            Problem solved then.

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                            "Oh, you here. Move up you bains and let them sit down. Staying the night are you?"

(Typical understated Yorkshire welcome)
                            Sounds like my mother - I turned up on sunday for an unannounced visit, so did my eldest brother and his OH, so did my sister with one of her kids and so did my youngest brother with his dog. She wasn't expecting anyone for sunday lunch so had "only catered for her and dad".

Everyone of us left a few hours later with a full belly.
                            Auntynet

Comment

Working...
                            X