Folding up faster than a deck-chair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding up faster than a deck-chair!

In light of the recent news over woolies, etc, thought I would post two interesting links:

Woolworths seem to have taken their website offline

MFI are apparently dead and buried too

Oops!
    --Matt

Web Development
    Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

According to todays newpaper all Woolies are likely to close soon after Xmas and part of their company supplies DVD/CDs to supermarkets, Zavvi and somewhere else....so they could have a shortfall.

At least MFI have an administrators notice up!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Woolies website says that it's "currently undergoing essential maintenance."

Is that what they call it?
      It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post

Apparently.

I certainly agree that whatever is happening is "essential"

Not entirely sure that running around in circles, panicking, inbetween bouts of desperately hunting behind the sofa for loose change is really 'maintenance' though!
        --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Mind you, Matt, I'm getting a "page not found" from your website too!!

Comment

Mind you, Matt, I'm getting a "page not found" from your website too!!
            Tell me about it! Thats been causing me some serious grief today. Thankfully the problems haven't affected any customers - only us!!

Rest assured, not credit crunch related. Suspect someone may have had a 'cable crisis' in the data centre though!
            --Matt

Web Development

Comment

i think its a realy shame i love woolworths, but anyone hoping they might have a clearence sale xx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

I think it is a shame too - they have been around in Britain for a long time. I was really surprised as I thought they would have experienced recessions before and been prepared to deal with it.

I nealry ordered a bike for my daughter a couple of days ago and I'm glad I didn't now!
                My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
                http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xrheax View Post
                  I think it is a shame too - they have been around in Britain for a long time. I was really surprised as I thought they would have experienced recessions before and been prepared to deal with it.

I nealry ordered a bike for my daughter a couple of days ago and I'm glad I didn't now!
                  Woolies have been having problems for a LONG time now - sales of £3billion still last year, but debts of £385million. Just goes to show that turnover means nothing - anyone can sell at a loss!

They were hit by the decline in CD sales when internet downloads took off more, and haven't really recovered. The question really is (much the same as with BHS) - what do people buy there???

Comment

trouble is my daughter has just got a christmas temp job in woolies
                    www.sunrisecards.co.uk
                    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Woolies have been having problems for a LONG time now - sales of £3billion still last year, but debts of £385million. Just goes to show that turnover means nothing - anyone can sell at a loss!

They were hit by the decline in CD sales when internet downloads took off more, and haven't really recovered. The question really is (much the same as with BHS) - what do people buy there???
                      I can't remember the last time I bought anything in Woolies, they don't really do anything that makes them stand out anymore IMO
                      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
                      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
                      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn Faerie View Post
                        I can't remember the last time I bought anything in Woolies, they don't really do anything that makes them stand out anymore IMO
                        As mentioned though, with £3Bn sales there must be a lot of people who DO buy stuff there. Strange time to shut it down just as the Christmas BOOM is coming. I'll bet they normally take as much in December as they do in Jan, Feb, Mar and April combined!

James.
                        Doing nothing is harder than it looks!
                        Free Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by xrheax View Post

To be honest, it's pretty gutting. Because they did so well. And got so close. 99 years trading in Britain. D'oh - just had to make it through one more!
                          --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Someone will bail them out, I can't imagine our town center without Woolies!! Selina

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
                              Someone will bail them out, I can't imagine our town center without Woolies!! Selina
                              Ah, like me, you must live somewhere with a good one Woolies is great here in Jersey (though I think its franchised, which is probably why) - it was a bit rubbish in Portsmouth where I used to live!
                              --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Working...
                              X