break time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break time

I was asked by a friend to look into how many hours you need to work before you can have a break.

On google I found out that you need to work 6 hours before you get a 20minute break.

Does this mean that you take your break after the 6 hours or can it be taken in between?

My friend works exactly 6 hours.

Thank you
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

I thought it was 4 hours Louise. I was told that as employers we have to give a 15 min break every 4 hours. Strikes me I need to be working my girls harder!!!LOL I could be wrong though, Selina

Comment

I don't know if this helps but this is from the website: www.direct.gov.uk

'Rest breaks - a break during your working day

If you're an adult worker (that is, over 18), you'll normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you're expected to work for more than six hours at a stretch.
      A lunch or coffee break can count as your rest break. Additional breaks might be given by your contract of employment. There's no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.
      If you're under 18 but over school leaving age (you're under school leaving age until the end of summer term of the school year in which you turn 16) you're classed as a 'young worker'. A young worker is entitled to a 30 minute rest break if they are expected to work for more that four and a half hours at a stretch.
      The requirements are:
      • the break must be in one block
      • it can't be taken off one end of the working day - it must be somewhere in the middle
      • you're allowed to spend it away from the place on your employer's premises where you work
      • your employer can say when the break must be taken, as long as it meets these conditions'
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

When I looked it up, the legislation/act (whatever you call it!) was written in '98 and updated in '03.
        Has there been an update since then? Do I need to check google again?
        I made sure it was a UK website too

Comment

6 hrs. I had a big row with my former employers. they said because I only worked 5 hrs 45 mins I wasn't intitled to a break. but they would give me a 10 min break if I finished 10 mins later. I took it up with my union. Unfortunatly they were in the right.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

So does that mean that she could take the break 3 or 4 hours after beginning work, depending on when the employers decide is a good time?

Or does she not get a break because she works exactly 6 hours and can't take the break after she has finished working

Comment

I give myself all the breaks I need - regularly. hehe
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by Louise88 View Post
                So does that mean that she could take the break 3 or 4 hours after beginning work, depending on when the employers decide is a good time?

Or does she not get a break because she works exactly 6 hours and can't take the break after she has finished working
                i think that as long as she is working 6 hours she is entitled to a break i would say sort of mid shift, xx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

Gosh! So by the sounds of it you are allowed to work an 11 hr day with only a 20 minute break!!! I imagine most employers (me included) give their staff an hour at lunchtime, usually taken between 12 and 2.30 ish, but then we don't pay them for the hour!!! Selina

Comment

you can always phone ACAS and they'll tell you in simple english what you can and can't do. They've been very helpful to Chris on numerous occassions in the past.
                    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Yeah, 6 hours would entitle you to a break, this is given at the employers discretion, however, does not have to be in the exact "middle" of your shift.

I get an hour unpaid in the middle of the day and as much tea as I can drink during the day! Sometimes someone even makes it for me!
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Forgot to say my girls go out for as many fag breaks as their workload will allow and as much caffiene as they need!!! Selina

Comment

Working...
                        X