I just got a call from the police!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a call from the police!!!

A rather formal woman on the phone asked me to confirm if I was the owner of Aviyaglass - so in a very bored voice I said yes expecting to brush off a sales call.

Then she said ' I just needed to confirm that as I am calling from the police.'
    She now had my full attention.....

She said she knows I would want to help the police..........How do you say no I wont help when you have no idea what its about?

So I said yes 'oh silly me' cos then she said it was ADVERTISING to thank the police for all they do in my area!

By this time I had stopped having my heart attack but still a bit wrong footed (and very scared of saying no to the police) so I pleaded poverty, but she dropped the price - as they do!

I was totally got!
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

That sounds a little odd to me! Are you sure she was genuine?
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

That's cruel! I am the most paranoid person ever and would have had all sorts of horrible pictures in my head!!

Comment

Personally I would call the police to report her for using those sorts of sales tactics!

If not genuine, report as a mis-selling/fraud.

If genuine, tell them off sternly, then call the watchdogs office to complain!
        --Matt

Web Development
        Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

They have called me in the same manner before. I've also had the army contact me in the same way. Don't know how genuine the publications are, but having been bitten before with publication advertising before I've stayed well clear.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

ooo thats not on at all xx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

Forgot to add in the initial bit she said is that Aviyaglass of xxx (my address)! It really sounded official

As a tactic its low, I havent paid anything only agreed to receive some bumf but it freaked me out, set off all sorts of paranoid thoughts and is really out of order, bullying way to work.

I just wanted to vent a little and make sure if anyone here gets a similar call to chill before mega panic.

I feel like a numpty caught at a silly hoax and not at all like going ahead but if it is for the police I would feel guilty not to and that's the catch 22.

Having to console myself and cure stress headache with chocolate

I will update with company details when I get them.
              Terry xxx
              You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
              Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised at people putting your address with your business name. It's a requirement to have it on your website and mine's also on the return address labels I put on everything I send out so any customer would know it and anyone who sees the package could potentially know about it.

I am at them using such underhand tactics though. Think I'd have been confused by it too. Good job you haven't paid anything out yet. I would def give the police a ring to let them know about it - they may be doing it with other people too and the police may already know or can at least keep a record of it in case it happens to anyone else.

Enjoy the chocolate
                http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Police!

I think that something seems a bit underhand to me.

I get 'strange' folk contacting me sometimes ... offering all sorts so I think the best advice is to check it out.
                  Julia

Website: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JuliaYo...=hdr_shop_menu
                  Facebook:
                  https://www.facebook.com/JuliaYorkDesigns?ref=hl
                  Blog:https://juliayorkdesigns.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                    They have called me in the same manner before. I've also had the army contact me in the same way. Don't know how genuine the publications are, but having been bitten before with publication advertising before I've stayed well clear.
                    I've had the police and army phone me too about advertising. The army lady was really hard-sell but luckily the police were fine - I wasn't freaked out as I'd only just moved into the shop and initially thought it was one of those community/keep safe type things for new shopkeepers plus he was a really jolly chap He gave me their website addy and asked me to contact him if I wanted to advertise...it was the softest sell ever (and no I didn't take up the advertising).

Sounds like your lady was very sneaky though Aviyaglass and I'd be tempted to complain too tbh.
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I cant believe what I read about the Army and Police using cold calling to sell advertising, sounded rather fishy to me, then I spoke to a friend of mine whose husband has his own business and website and she said they get this type of thing all the time. I'm horrified, I think I would need a strong drink if they called me like that, as everyone has said I think all sorts of horrors would be going through my mind aswell.
                      Diane
                      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I can vouch that the Police have been doing it for years. At least 5 years ago I was approached. No good complaining, sadly they have the police blessing. Horrible as it is.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I dont understand what it was they were asking?! Why would the Police need advertising? And why would you need to pay for it? I must be having a dim day! Can someone explain please?
                          Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

It's some sort of Directory, if they can get punters to pay for adverts it cuts down the cost of printing.
                            Carol
                            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
                              I dont understand what it was they were asking?! Why would the Police need advertising? And why would you need to pay for it? I must be having a dim day! Can someone explain please?
                              Its the company that sells advertising space in the police/army magazines that contact you, not the actual police themselves.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X