How's your back!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your back!?

My lower back is aching today again! Its the hours spent infront of my crafty desk or this damn computer!

Surefly this must be a common complaint of crafters?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I hurt mine last Saturday, after sitting on a round table, which tipped up. I stupidly tried to catch myself AND the table. Been in agony ever since. Seeing Physio and might be going for accupuncture tomorrow.
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Me too, it's my neck that hurts though as I know I sit wrongly at the computer and when I'm not doing that I'm hunched over my crafts.

Oh the cross we have to bear

Hope you're both feeling better soon
      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

I used to suffer and it is horrid, nothing to show for it, just pain.

I find Tai Chi or similar stretching and warm up exercises do it good and never sit for more than an hour without a brief walk about, come to think of it I best go now.
        http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Comment

I slipped a disk in my lower back a few years ago, courtesy of Asda, and have had trouble ever since. I know that sitting at the dining room table isn't good for me, but its the only place where I can work on the laptop and bead at the same time. But saying that, sitting at my computer desk causes me pain too.

As long as I keep getting up and walking round, then I can usually get away with it, and of course being careful not to get myself in a position where I can make the disk move again, luckilly my other half is good at popping it back if need be.
          www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Try a different chair/stool. You should be able to rest your elbows on the table without stooping. A friend of mine sits on one of those big exercise balls and says it's great.

Melanie

Comment

Oh its most definatly the chair. I didnt get pain when i was on the sofa with the lap top! MY chair is good though as it swivles (sp?) So i can go from comp to beads etc lol. But its not worth it if it hurts me i spose!
              Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I play the piano, and I have to sit up very straight (it kills! especially if I sit hunched over the computer for hours and then play).

I have a beanbag so that i can lay back and craft, but it hurts my hips/knees/feet to sit on the floor, and once I'm down there I don't get back up unless I have to!

I'm just an old lady really!
                MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

I suffer more with pains in my right elbow and and wrist - doc says its RSI and nothing I can do about it - unless I stop making jewellery and I don't think Urbtaf would like that!

Originally posted by Louise88 View Post
                  I play the piano, . . . . .
                  Is there no end to your talents?
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                    I suffer more with pains in my right elbow and and wrist .....
                    Me too! I've had arthritis in my hands for ?? years, particularly the thumb joints. Just found out yesterday (from a very nice young doctor) that it's De Quervain Tenosynivitis. I have to wear a splint for 8 weeks to see if there's any improvement.
                    Luckily, I can still knit, crochet and sew wearing said splint!

I didn't tell the doctor how long I spend on the forum, using the mouse, which might account for (at least) some of the pain in my thumbs!
                    Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

Originally posted by knitnstitchsue View Post
                      I didn't tell the doctor how long I spend on the forum, using the mouse, which might account for (at least) some of the pain in my thumbs!
                      Forgot to say that being on the pooter so much is another symptom.
                      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                        Is there no end to your talents?
                        Nope! I am a star
                        MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Aching at times!

I hurt my back a loooong time ago lifting a tv and I've got wise when it begins to ache I know to stop.....well, I know when I should stop but mostly I do and get up and walk about or go do something else for a while then go back to the table to craft.

Comment

Oh yes, I can sympathise with all of you... when I spend too much time at the computer desk with either the laptop or Sizzix or anything else I get carried away with then I get a lot of pain in my lower back but instead of stopping I usually just carry on and then suffer when I try to move lol, but on the whole it isn't too bad.

The worst thing though is that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists so am in a lot of pain from that and especially doing something like decoupage or stencil embossing, I end up not being able to move my hands/wrists with the pain but as soon as it starts to ease I'm back to crafting so I don't suppose I do myself many favours but I reefuse to let it get the better of me. I do have a splint for both hands/wrists that I'm supposed to wear but have you ever tried crafting while wearing them? It makes it very difficult so I refuse to wear them lol... I'll learn one day when the pain comes and doesn't go away!!

Comment

Hm my lower back was a bit achy this morning. Can't decide if I overdid it at the gym yesterday or whether it was bending over a tiny table last night at a craft fair in a nursery! Touch wood I don't normally suffer so all the many years of aerobics, step class, weight training, yoga...I could go on, may have paid off after all.
                              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Working...
                              X