kids ... teachers/......need to rant!!!!!! UPDATED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kids ... teachers/......need to rant!!!!!! UPDATED

Ollie is in a Shakespeare play at a theatre in Leeds on Friday night. He has been practicing forweeks and the teachers have not fully informed of rehersal times,dates and also the schedule for events on friday. Originally they said that a coach would leave the school at 12 noon.
    That was fine because Ollie has also been rehersing for a choir thing at the Albert Hall and guess what..... the big rehersal for that is on Friday morning and will finish at 11.45. So I asked the music teacher if he could leave that half a hour early and I'd collect him from there and deliver him back to school to catch the coach to Leeds. That was all ok.
    I cancelled Eden's hospital appointment and rebooked that for December (poor girl!)
    Anyway, On Monday night, ollie brings home a bit of paper saying that the coach would now leave at 11.15 to go to Leeds. that means I'd need to get Ollie half an hour after the rehersal started.
    I wrote to his music teacher asking if it was worth his while going at all?
    She emailed me this morning and said, basically if he doesn't go to the rehersal, he can't be in it (not her rules, but the rules of the organisers)
    "which will mean that my basses are not adequate. I need Ollie"
    So now I am waiting for the drama teacher to telephone me so I can ask her if I can drive Ollie to Leeds instead of him going on the coach.
    i'll then have to drive back to hull and then we'll be driving over to Leeds again in the evening to see the play. Then drive home and eventually after the kids have been assessed by the RSC guy they'll be delivered bach to school about half 11pm.
    I still feel yuck with a cold and sinus flare up. Do i need this..... no i do not.
    AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Can you feel the tension?
    Last edited by beadsbydesign; 24-10-2008, 02:30 PM.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Tension well and truely felt
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

it's now half 12 ....... that's school luch time. Why does the teacher not call me?

To make my day worse, Joe gets a payment called EMA (eductaion matainance grant) of £30 a week which is to buy stuff for school pay for transport etc. Well i missed crossing a box, so instead of phoning or emailing me to tell me about it, they just sent the form back. i had to refill it in and then send it bacj to them. (EMA had a five week wait)
      today Hoes first payment went in and it's only £30. (should have been £240) so I spent half an hour on the phone to them only to be told, the school will have to email us for us to back pay him.

Comment

It's all sweetness and butterlies here

The drama teacher just called and appologised for putting me in such a postition. She hadn't realised that OLlie was involved in both events.
        She's going to talk to the music teacher and find out how early Ollie could leave the rehersal and then she'll contavt the theatre and ask if the school can have their technical rehersal later and then she'll change the coach time so that Olllie can get back to school and go with them because she doesn't want me to have to drive all the way to Leeds

Hows that for service.

Lets hope the others all play ball!!

As for the EMA (well that's never going to be as easy!)

Comment

Oh dear - it does sound like lots and lots of stress. Happy thoughts coming your way
          Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
          My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
          My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Phew, I was exhausted just reading what you've got going on! But it's all good stuff, well done Ollie. Regarding the EMA, our middle son has JUSt got his backpayment through and yep, they did the same to us, we forgot to put something in (I think we put copies in of something instead of the originals) and they sent it all back instead of just phoning or emailing! It went 'missing' for a while too...never mind, all sorted now...and Tom has just got himself a much needed pair of football boots from some of that money.
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

It exhausted me too. I am so glad mine are all grown up with kids of their own and all I have to worry about is stretching my pension - at least it's fixed so I can only blame myself if I fall short. When you have youngsters depending on you a shortage can be drastic.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

ooh that does sound a bit stressful - hope it all works out in the end - will he still be awake by the end of the day??

Helen x

Visit my blog!
                http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Update!

went over to the rehersal venue in the car last night to check timings etc.
                  It was just about dooable .... tractors willing.

Today. I went over and arrived early, parked, sat back and waited and then thought .... something isn't quite right.

I got out the car and walked into the school only to find it all practically deserted.

began to panic!

a man (or perhaps he was an angel!) walked into reception and so I pounced and asked him if he knew where the children were rehersing. He said he didn't, but actually didn't work there and was a tutor from the a college. He went and asked someone and luckily they said "o the rehersal got moved about a month ago to an arts centre"
                  At this point I thought, I'm going to loose it.
                  I said, "I don't know where it is"
                  This man just said go and get your car. That's my car follow me.

We ran to the cars, jumped in and then put our feet down and roared through the streets the the venue. Ollie was waiting and the guy waved and drove off.

Long story short, Ollie safely delivered on time back to school to meet the bus and we'll no doubt have a great evening watching him.

I can not thank the guy enough. He was so gracious and kind and amazingly generous to do what he did. Hope someone is very kind to him soon.

Comment

Good lord!

I actualy heaved an audible *sigh* of relief when I got to your last post!

Go go Mr Angel!

As for EMA My sons been borrowing left right and centre from me and can't repay me because of the lengthly delay and non full backdated payments! (Letting that go as he didn't mess up it was them, must be the same department who failed to dish out my other sons SATS results! )

Can I ask, I want £5 a week from him out of his EMA, as I am looking after him and in "the real world" he would have to expect to pay his way. Am I mean? or do you do the same or thought about this?

He is happy with it too but I am wondering on other parents views.
                    "Buffys Charms" my lil ol' Blog

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

All I can say is that I work in a school (as heads secretary) and you wouldn't believe what really goes on!!

It's another world
                      Debbie
                      www.justoneoff.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Buffy View Post
                        Good lord!

I actualy heaved an audible *sigh* of relief when I got to your last post!

Go go Mr Angel!

As for EMA My sons been borrowing left right and centre from me and can't repay me because of the lengthly delay and non full backdated payments! (Letting that go as he didn't mess up it was them, must be the same department who failed to dish out my other sons SATS results! )

Can I ask, I want £5 a week from him out of his EMA, as I am looking after him and in "the real world" he would have to expect to pay his way. Am I mean? or do you do the same or thought about this?

He is happy with it too but I am wondering on other parents views.
                        Hi, not a parent here but few yrs ago was a student on EMA, got £30 a week and my mum took £15, so £5 is a barg!!! haha. seriously though, its fair enough, if he's bringing something in he should contribute something, even if its only small. shows they appreciate you and dont just treat it like a hotel! why do parents always say that? ''you treat this house like a hotel, coming and going as you please'' my mum always used to say that and i used to say ''well if it was a hotel i wouldnt have to wash up''
                        ooo cheeky!
                        http://www.freewebs.com/handmade-cr
                        Handmade by Cathy Richardson

Comment

Originally posted by HandmadeByCathyRichardson View Post
                          Hi, not a parent here but few yrs ago was a student on EMA, got £30 a week and my mum took £15, so £5 is a barg!!! haha. seriously though, its fair enough, if he's bringing something in he should contribute something, even if its only small. shows they appreciate you and dont just treat it like a hotel! why do parents always say that? ''you treat this house like a hotel, coming and going as you please'' my mum always used to say that and i used to say ''well if it was a hotel i wouldnt have to wash up''
                          ooo cheeky!
                          I'll probably be shot down in flames for this, but .....
                          Finances in our house have always been fairly tight due to incomes. As a result we have never given our children pocket money in the traditional sense. They've never gone without, every thing they've needed has been given, but they haven't had money burning a hole in their pockets to be wasted.
                          If they have needed anything then they have asked and we've discussed it with them. if they put a good case (does not include ... my friends all have etc.) then we've provided it, new t shirts etc.
                          Now Joe is 17 and in the sixth form we are not taking money off him. He gets £30.00 per week. It's a great incentive to do well at school. He is taking on the responsibility of managing the money for his mobile phone, some clothing and also learning to save sensibly. It's a good lesson in life.
                          (perhaps it could be thought of as back dated pocketmoney!)

Comment

The main thing is to ensure that they learn some responsibility and appreciate that they cannot spend their life spending money frivolously the whole time. If that means asking for a nominal amount for 'housekeeping' once they start receiving their own finances, then that's all well and good. If you decide not to do this, then you can hand them responsibility for something else that you had previously taken care of such as credit for a mobile phone or similar... so that they learn the value of the money if they waste it.

I think that this is an essential part of their development, otherwise you end up with what happened to one guy I met in Halls at Uni... who managed to spend his whole first term's grant in the first week completely on alcohol... and spent the rest of the term living like a pauper.

Si.
                            Wood Tattoos
                            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                            Facebook
                            Flickr
                            Twitter

Comment

Working...
                            X