No announcement yet.

Share your home-made "luxury" recipes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your home-made "luxury" recipes.

I'll go first.

I'm not a Bailey's fan but found this receipe last year and had to try it. The result is very tasty and I prefer it to the real macoy cos its not as thick.

I bought some fancy bottles from Poundshop (the ones you get filled with olives and peppers and stuff like that), emptied them, steralised them and filled them with my "baileys" and gave as presents for xmas last year. Have to say they went down very well.

450ml whisky (roughly half a pint) Don't bother with the good stuff - supermarket brand works just as well and costs about half as much.
    1 400g can evaporated milk
    1 400g can condensed milk
    1 tsp instant coffee (liquid coffee like "Camp" coffee works best as granules are hard to dissolve in cold liquids.
    ½ tsp vanilla extract (NOT essence!)

Mix them all together and you'll have about a litre of alcoholic beverage. It keeps about 2 months in the fridge . . . . . . if its not been drunk!
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Mmmm sounds good! Only thing i'm good at are crispy jacket potatoes, yum! But everybody can do them!
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Can't think of a recipe at the moment ut will tell you a funny to be going on with.
      I make my own wine - usually out of anything I can get hold of. (Pea pod wine is lovely if kept a couple of years)
      I digress.
      I made a load of Raspberry last year and it is now ready for drinking so I had earmarked it for a few Xmas gifts - bottled with pretty labels - looks OK.
      Been away, No.2.son dog and house sat with partner. His welcoming speech on my arival home tonight was "Beautiful Raspberry wine
      om, drank 3 bottles, have you got any more.
      Grrrr.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Sounds like something both of ours would do. Kids eh? Can't live with em, can't kill em!

I also found lots of receipes last year for fruit vodka and had every intention of having a go at some this year - you have to leave it about 6 months to infuse but apparently its well worth the wait. Anyway, by the time March came around this year I'd totally forgotten about it so will just have to make some ready to drink in March.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Here's my homemade speciality... I call it a JD and coke. You need a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of Coca-cola (or similar) along with a glass and some ince cubes...

Put them together in a logical combination.

Ta da!

Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
            Here's my homemade speciality... I call it a JD and coke. You need a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of Coca-cola (or similar) along with a glass and some ince cubes...

Put them together in a logical combination.

Ta da!

After a few glasses it never seems so logical, i always spill most of the vodka lol I was told to add skittles to vodka to make it taste nicer, i can't remember if it did or not!

Can you tell i've been drinking tonight? Spot the mistake lol!
            MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Sounds like a good recipe - will give that one a go!
              I've just bottled some rhubarb schnapps - initial tests indicate a tasty little number!
              Last year I made crab apple brandy, blackberry vodka and sloe gin for christmas pressies, plus apple and rosehip jelly, and fresh cream chocolate truffles (delivered in a handmade bag!)
              Cathy xx
              http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
              http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
              http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
              I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Sorry about the anecdotes - last one I promise but I thought you would enjoy it.
                When kids were small late DH was heavily into making his own booze - and drinking it but thats another story.
                He made so much that we ran out of places to store it. Gallons of lager in cupboard under stairs, wine in demijohns with those little air lock thingys in in wardrobes airing cupboards and at least a dozen behind the settee. That was OK,, it became a way of life until we could'nt hear TV for bottles popping so loud visitors complained.
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I made sloe gin a couple of years back. I was on anti depressants so I couldn't drink it! Mixed feedback from the people who got it as christmas pressies, 1 brother in law thought it was too sweet, all the women thought it was alright, the only person who drunk it and enjoyed it was my dad - only thing is, he was a chronic alcholholic and enjoyed drinking anything!! I like to think I gave his liver a change of drink!

Debbie
                  Debbie
                  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1262375772

http://www.folksy.com/shops/purplemac

http://purplemac.misi.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by purplemac View Post
                    I made sloe gin a couple of years back. I was on anti depressants so I couldn't drink it! Mixed feedback from the people who got it as christmas pressies, 1 brother in law thought it was too sweet, all the women thought it was alright, the only person who drunk it and enjoyed it was my dad - only thing is, he was a chronic alcholholic and enjoyed drinking anything!! I like to think I gave his liver a change of drink!

Debbie
                    At least it wouldn't have been full of chemicals and additives, so far better for him!!

Last year I did a comparison of two sloe gins, one was the remnants of a bottle of shop bought, Gordons Sloe Gin, the other was a glass of my own home made. The difference was really amazing - the Gordons tasted very metallic after my own!
                    Cathy xx
                    http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                    http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                    http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                    I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

I'll definitely be trying the Baileys recipe... thanks for sharing

Comment

I am just about to make some spicy tomato and apple chutney, a recipe I made for christmas last year and was very well recieved. With the economy in the slump it is in at the moment, I find homemade gifts around christmas are appreciated and you don't have to worry about buying gifts for that one family member who has everything.

Spicy Tomato and Apple Chutney Recipe:

1kg ripe mixed tomatoes (ie plum, cherry and vine), peeled and chopped
                        200g Red onions, chopped
                        50g raisins
                        50g sultanas
                        250g cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
                        300g Sugar
                        225ml vinegar
                        2 tsp Salt
                        1/2 tsp allspice
                        1/2 tsp ground ginger
                        1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Comment

Not originally my recipe, but I did adjust it somewhat, with good results - in the first instance its from a great book titled "Greatest Ever Chocolate", published by Papplewick Press, ISBN 0-75259-334-X - highly recommended, and was also quite a cheap little book if memory serves.

Rum Truffles - perfect for winter!

Approx 125-150g plain chocolate (highest % cocoa solids you can find ideally 85+).
                          20-25g butter (unsalted)
                          Double shot of REALLY GOOD rum (suggest something like Havana Gold as a minimum)
                          Approx 100g of cake crumbs (if you don't have any old cake knocking about, buy some magdelenas, fairy cakes or similar and squish them)
                          Icing Sugar + Cocoa Powder (again, use good quality cocoa powder - makes a big difference).

Melt the chocolate in the usual way (bowl of water, etc). Once melted, remove from the heat and beat in the rum. Add some of cake crumbs and 3-4 tablespoons of icing sugar.

If the mixture is really stiff, add a bit more rum - if it is runny, add more cake crumbs, until you get to the right consistency. I find it easiest to use fingers, rather than a spoon or whisk to mix at this point. You're aiming for a reasonably stiff consistency which will stick together well.

Roll it out into small balls (probably about 2 teaspoons per ball, but up to you). Pop them onto a sheet of baking paper (on a firm base e.g. baking sheet).

Give them a bit of time to cool down and then put icing sugar or cocoa powder onto a plate (or one of each) and carefully roll the truffles around until coated.

Stick them in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.

Enjoy after dinner, but be careful. Addictive.
                          --Matt

Web Development
                          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

I do a pudding which we call Ivy's Pudding in our house:

Red berries (raspberries and red currants are best) put in a pan and very lightly warmed through with sugar. Then take a can of ready to eat custard and mix through a goodly dollop of melted white chocolate.

Hmmm, at this point, sit down with the bowl from the melted chocolate and lick.....

Put the berries in the bottom of little ramekins and pour the chocolate custard mix over it.

If you're being very posh, let this cool then sprinkle soft brown sugar on the top and whizz the blow torch over to caramelise.

Result? A rich, sweet topping with sharp fruits underneath.

(And much applause from well impressed dinner guests !!)

Oh, oh my 100th post Do I get to have "senior moments" now?
                            With love,
                            Daisy & Me
                            x

Our MISI Shop www.daisyandme.misi.me.uk
                            Our email address [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X