Adopted a hedgehog!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted a hedgehog!!

Our neighbour came to see us this afternoon, saying she saved a hedgehog from certain death on the road near our home. She can't keep it so asked if we could look after him/her at least over the winter months, then release him in the wild in spring. She said our greenhouse would be a perfect home!!! She's also said she's the Godmother!

So.... here we are... with a hedgehog living in our greenhouse!

We called him Squash (well he nearly got squashed!)

We read on the internet how to care for him, plenty of water, a bit of food. We got a box full of straw and already he's gone hiding in it.

We think he has an injured paw, so we might take him to the vet on Tuesday. We'll find out if it's a he and or a she too.

He's quite small, only 212g, (7.5oz).

awwwwwww
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Bless - good luck with the hedgehog minding!
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

ahh, love him! we have have an animal orientated day today, went to twycross zoo (conservastionists). I could spend hours looking at those monkeys. GFpt some great photots on my phone. Weather stayed good. But isnt't there an autumnal chill in the evenings now.
      Elaine

Comment

bless him or her

good luck with him or her, let us know how the vet trip goes.
        My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

We could do with a few more folk like you. I hope all goes well at the Vets.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

My mum has one that seems to visit each year - she leaves cat meat out each night, I mean tinned cat food and water.
            Annette

Comment

My partner keeps checking on him, bless him. He (the hedgehog!) seems comfy in the straw so all is well so far!
              Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Oh lucky you!!!! At least he is in a good home!!!!! xxxx Sue.
                http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Good luck looking after the hedgehog, I hope all goes well at the vets....I made a hedgehog cake for my youngest sons borthday yesterday, he is a nature lover, he bought home seven frogs the other day that are happily living in the garden, they all have names and he searches for slugs etc to feed them with and then we go frog watching together.

Jo x
                  Things to make and do
                  Things to make and do's Facebook page
                  Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Squash didn't survive the night :-(
                    On closer examination this morning he seemed to have an injury between his back leg, he had a big lump. We didn't see it last night because he was all curled up. He ate, drank and pooed and then made a little nest in the straw last night, he seemed ok to us.

Well we tried....

Comment

Aww, so sad. At least you did the best you could for him and he was comfortable, rather than left at the side of a road.
                      Sparklez.co.uk
                      Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklez View Post
                        Aww, so sad. At least you did the best you could for him and he was comfortable, rather than left at the side of a road.
                        Yes this is what our neighbour said when we told her the sad news.... He would have just died crushed by a car otherwise.

Not sure we would have found a vet opened on a Saturday afternoon, but if this happen again we might take the hedgehog directly to the vet.

We were quite looking forward to keeping him over the winter.

We arleady have a good family of frogs in the pond, so the hedgehog was very welcome.

Comment

What a lovely story and the name is very appropriate, we have a family of 3 hedgehogs in the garden but do they make a noise at night, they woke me one night and I thought we had a herd of pigs on the garden, right under my bedroom window. I wouldn't be without them though ours get on quite well with the dog, they no longer curl up when he goes up to them. So sorry he did not make it.

Comment

If it does happen again, you could always try a Pets at Home branch. A lot of them have Companion Care vets in side and they are open all day Saturday and Sunday, and their prices are very reasonable. We've just started taking our cats to our local one, and its so much more convenient to be able to go on a Saturday afternoon or even a Sunday.
                            Sparklez.co.uk
                            Handmade Jewellery

Comment

So sorry - but a comfortable end for him.
                              Cynthia
                              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X