Does this only happen to us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this only happen to us?

Sorry folks but I'm about to have a big moan so if you can't be bothered to listen then go and read another thread lol!

How come whenever money gets a bit tight more and more things crop up to take more?
    It started a couple of months ago when our car (4 yrs old) cost us £800 to get put right when it was serviced. Prior to that my daughters school had just asked for £200 for a school trip (there goes £1000). Then OH did his charity walk on the South downs which ended up costing us hundreds by the time he'd paid his entry, bought some more walking gear and filled the car with fuel to get there and back etc. Then the Cat costs us £175 with his mystery illness.
    At this point we're thinking... "yep, it's usually about now we get an unexpected speeding ticket through the post"... but we didn't.
    So, we went away on our little camping trip trying not to spend a penny more than we absolutely had to and what did we find when we got back?
    Not a speeding ticket but a "traffic offense" fine from OH's trip down south for £60! He'd got stuck in London with the back end of the car just poking into a box junction. They even sent us photo's to prove it! It's so unfair as he's usually really good at that sort of thing. He says the traffic had been moving along steadily and then suddenly stopped just as he was entering the junction.
    There are loads of other little things that keep popping up that I won't bore you with but basically we are just being inundated with costs that we aren't prepared for! When will it stop!!!? I'm seriously having to rethink our weekly food shop to help get us back on track so if anyone has any ideas for cheap meals for a family of six please PM me!
    Natalie
    website blog

Isn't if odd how life goes in phases. I always found that when things got so bad you didn't know which way to turn something came along and it all changed again.
    The moral of the story is keep your chin up, something good will turn up I know it.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I know how you feel. Over the last year the bills just seem to keep coming for us too, every time we catch up there is something else.
      DH just got his first speeding fine, we were in a line of traffic all going the same speed and we all slowed down as soon as we saw the mobile camera but still got caught. I'm sure they heard DH moaning about them having nothing better to do at 10.30am on a Sunday morning.

Melanie

Comment

Nat, I know exactly what you mean. We had DH car serviced and MOT'd cost us £600 less a fiver and then my car needed the same cost us £200, but they noticed it wasn't getting into top gear (auto) needed new gear box, but they had 2nd hand one which cost us £300 cash shh!)....and now DH car has a light flashing on it saying it needs new brake pads .

My eldest son is going to college in September and has to lodge there as it's too far and no buses anyway, but accommodation is a horrendous amount of money even paying by installments, but at least his food is included. But the cost of fuel to collect him on a fri night and take him back on sunday is loads. Not to mention the safety gear and stationery or is that stationary? My husband earns just under the max to apply for a bursary, his is the only wage coming into the house at the moment, so we'll only get a bit of help. DS's father doesn't feel he needs to support his son and never has, but does see him regularly. What are you supposed to do

My other son wants to go to stagecoach which is opening near us - I want him to go but it's £300, which you pay a 10% deposit and two post dated cheques

But Carol is right, something usually does come along, but it's so stressful waiting for it.........hurry up
        Annette

Comment

I seem to live my whole life like this...
          to date this year I have had to replace my washing machine as the whole drum sheared off and waterlogged the kitchen, my dryer and my main oven packed in so I have been managing with the tiny top oven/grill thing cooking meals for 7,my mum kindly gave me her oven as she is moving and no longer needs it only for my sky box to pack in !!
          oh and i forgot the tv blew up just before Christmas last year so that was another thing ,plus we drive a kia sedona and the brake pads last about 9 months each time before they need replacing !!
          everytime I replace somthing another thing decides to die on me
          my OH reckons we must live on ley lines as all my electrical goods seem to have short life spans.
          But heyho could be worse
          Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
          my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
          my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Roseberry Crafts View Post
            I'm seriously having to rethink our weekly food shop to help get us back on track so if anyone has any ideas for cheap meals for a family of six please PM me!
            I heard on tv that if you do a bit of brand lowering in your big shop, you save fortunes. Basically, if you normally buy heinz beans, drop a brand to tesco's own. If you normally buy tesco's own, drop a brand to tesco value. The key rules seem to be, never drop more than one level of brand, don't tell the kids what you're up to, because they'll claim to notice a difference that isn't there, and it's ok to stick to your regular brands on SOME things.

I also heard on tv (no wonder I never get anything done with all this tv I seem to be watching!) that you shouldn't buy cheap meat, but DO try cheaper cuts of meat. Personally, I am super fussy about meat, but if you already like things like chicken thighs then its def something to think about!

Comment

Roseberry Crafts I have sent you a pm with recipe. How old are your children? Mine are coming upto 11, 15 and 2, even though we are a family of 5 the 2 older ones eat adult size meals I was wondering if your a big or little portion family, if you know what I mean

We are having one of them months too. I passed my driving test a couple of weeks ago, needed extra lessons and the double lesson on day. Then my car failed mot, then tax. Then partners car failed mot and needed taxing!! then a few smaller "suprise" bills. My 2 eldest have birthdays coming up and school uniforms need buying!!

When you say cheap how cheap? I work on £5 for a cheap meal although the one I sent you could be done for about £3.50/£4 I'll send some other meal idea's if any come to mind.
              www.mummycupcake.misi.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mummycupcake/

Comment

Originally posted by linz View Post
                The key rules seem to be, never drop more than one level of brand, don't tell the kids what you're up to, because they'll claim to notice a difference that isn't there, and it's ok to stick to your regular brands on SOME things.
                I do this for any tinned and packet products, it really makes no difference to taste even though it took a lot of time for hubby to admit this - eventually he realised that if he expected me to shop and cook then he'd have to like it or lump it! He complained about the cheap bin bags I bought the other day cos they ripped when he tried to tear them off the roll - I yelled that I wasn't going to spend four times as much for something that goes into the wheelie-bin anyway...I think he got the message

I've bought some books like 'meals for a fiver' from those cheapy bookshops you can find in most towns which are actually really good. One tip is to buy some tescos value tinned veg and lentils to bulk out a stew so you can get away with less meat. I also do a cassarole type thing with leftover bacon and sausage with tinned (or left over) veg, onion and baked beans - sounds gross but is actually quite nice. Also jacket potatoes are very cheap if you buy the big bags and make colslaw or again baked beans as toppings.

With my hubby being off work sick and me being self employed you can tell I'm empathising with you Nat.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

My car failed its MOT yesterday, and just to make it pass, it has now got an odd wheel and is held together with duck tape. Luckily, its still drivable, but only just and I will have to get the things replaced/fixed, but luckily, I can kind of stagger when they get done! If you want meals for about £5, and you dont realy want to cook, you have to go into sainsbury's stand by the display with there 'feed four for under a fiver' recipie cards and, and say realy loudly, 'I BET ITS HARD TO MAKE THOUGH!' Then, according to the advert, Jamie Oliver comes, does the shopping with you, and cooks dinner for you!
                  I like to make things - usually a mess!
                  Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
                  http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lauralou1601 View Post
                    If you want meals for about £5, and you dont realy want to cook, you have to go into sainsbury's stand by the display with there 'feed four for under a fiver' recipie cards and, and say realy loudly, 'I BET ITS HARD TO MAKE THOUGH!' Then, according to the advert, Jamie Oliver comes, does the shopping with you, and cooks dinner for you!
                    I wish I could get him to make loads and then I could freeze it and not have to cook for months.

I know what it's like to be on a tight budget, my OH is self employed and what he brings in varies greatly, and my salary is good, but not great. I don't yet make any profit from my jewellery, although I do hope to break even one day

We seem to manage to get a bit saved up for a treat, and then something breaks, or a big bill comes in etc so our treat money gets spent on an emergency purchase instead.

I also buy own brand or value brands and try to cook from scratch as much as I can as it does seem to be cheaper, but food seems to have gone up an awful lot lately.

Claire
                    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Hi
                      Yes, I know the feeling.
                      I have stopped doing big shops and tend to buy for the next few days only...........definately not throwing out nearly as much!!

Great meals for a large family......
                      Corned beef hash
                      Pasta Bakes
                      Cottage Pie
                      Stir fry
                      Stew
                      Homemade soup with crusty bread
                      chilli con carne
                      jacket potatoes

Buy Strong Cheddar and you use less!

Go for Value items and BOGOF 's

Plan in advance!!

Good luck
                      I recently got ripped off by a friend (or so called) and that has left me a bit more skint!!
                      also got a parking ticket (ticket fell off window as the Sun actually appeared) Contesting that one!
                      Rach

Facebook
                      Website
                      Blog
                      Folksy

Comment

Pulses are my biggest tip! fi you can get your kids to eat them that is

I buy 2 for 1 on loads of things but only if I am buying anyway - (example, if I want cheese, I buy the one on offer), you've got to be careful though, some of the 2 4 1's work out more expensive!

I just about live on lentils, chickpeas and butter beans when its getting towards the end of the month
                        www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                          kia sedona and the brake pads last about 9 months each time before they need replacing !!
                          everytime I replace somthing another thing decides to die on me
                          my OH reckons we must live on ley lines as all my electrical goods seem to have short life spans.
                          But heyho could be worse
                          And guess what our car is! Yep a Kia Sedona! Seemed like a great buy at the time cheap and big, but now we're starting to wonder!
                          I've made the same joke about electrical goods and ley lines too but it's happened in every house we've ever lived in! Washing machines get hammered 'cos they do when there are six of you, ditto dishwasher. Oven -got a double but only one works (the other burns everything to a crisp) so we make do. I'm on my fourth hoover in two years and my current one is sounding a little cranky now too! I could go on but I think what I'm doing is simply describing life for most people?! The only real problem is that I'm not tolerating it very well at the mo'! Perhaps I need to chill and have a holiday - not in a tent this time!
                          Natalie
                          website blog

Comment

If we have a chicken or beef on sunday all the meat left over goes into a pie. Meat, carrots, onion, peas, etc. spices and a couple of oxo cubes, cooked together in a saucepan thickened with cornflour and then a suet pastry ( really easy to make) on top. I usually mix and press out the pastry in the cooking dish and any leftover flour helps to thicken the gravy. I also make rabbit or pheasant pie if DH shoots any.
                            Mince meat made into meatballs with tinned tomatoes and italian oxo cubes is another favourite, either with pasta or in pitta bread.
                            Chinese rice is easy, chop up a small omlette and add cooked rice and soy sauce, just as good as the takeaway.

Melanie

Comment

What a lovely bunch of people you all are. I'm now retired. Kids gone, got kids of their own but Oh my goodness have I been there Reading your posts is like echoes from the past. We were a one parent family, dh died when youngest was 4. I never met present husband until he was 16. I had three. I recall often buying 3lb of mince on Friday and it lasted almost a week with all the wonderful meals you have mentioned. Pulses and pasta gallore. It didn't hurt them. They are all fine and healthy.
                              Carol
                              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X