Paradise on the Pennines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradise on the Pennines?

Right this is my 3rd attempt at posting this (kept getting timed out!! ) but I think it was worth persevering - let me know what you think.

As it was such a lovely day on Tuesday (27 degrees!) and we had a day off where we didn't have to go to the suppliers, I decided we should have some "us" time so I put down the beading tray, closed the order book and asked my hubby to "take me somewhere nice". We live in Yorkhsire so there's no shortage of nice, FREE places to visit if you just wanna go for a walk and chill out.

DH took me to one of the places he used to take his kids "bear hunting" when they were little. We drove up onto Woodhead Pass which separates Yorkshire and Lancashire and also incorporates a little bit of Derbyshire somewhere along the road. Anyway, just before Val's Cafe (the most famous greasy spoon in the north) there's a turn off on the left side of the road (on the Yorkshire side) which takes you down the hillside to a stream - its something to do with the water board. You can park your car up and walk along the stream which twists and turns and goes up into the hills on the other side of the road.

We followed the stream as far as we could before the footpath disappeared on one side so we navigated the stepping stones and crossed over to the other side, followed that path till it turned into a small cliff face and crossed over again. This wasn't always easy as the water level was quite high due to the amount of rain we've had recently and it was also flowing very fast in some places. I was quite proud of my self cos I didn't do the girly "I can't jump over there" bit like I have been known to on other occasions.

We also had a little robin flittering about in front of us and I'd like to think he was leading the way but DH reckons the greedy little thing was only waiting to see if we had a picnic that he could scavenge from. Sometimes he can be such a cynic!

Anyway, we walked until we couldn't get any further (as we weren't wearing hiking boots or fisherman's waders) and this is where we ended up. The first pic was the view at the end of the line and the subsequent pics show some of the beautiful scenery and the stream we had to cross about 6 times. All in all we were only out of the car for about an hour so its hard to believe that this little taste of paradise is only a few minutes from the road. Kinda makes me proud to British.

Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Hi I live in yorkshire too and have been to Val's cafe but I didn't realise there was such lovely countryside not so far away from it! Thanks for the pics there ace
    for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

What lovely photos!!!!! It looks a gorgeous place!!! Sue xx
      http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

great

what lovely photos, looks really lovely.
        My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

I know the exact spot you went to Net - been there many times it's really lovely isn't it. Did you know that stream you followed is the source of the river Dearne? When my kids were little they tried to actually find the precise spot where its starts but the walking gets too hazardous to go further
          Chris xx
          My Website
          My Blog

Comment

Those pictures are so lovely you could frame them and hang them - I would if they were mine.

Carol
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I will have to programe thet spot into the satnav for next time we're caming that way .
              Lovely pics.
              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Lovely!

Congratulations for getting a day off whilst the weather was nice
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

thanks everyone for your comments. It was just such a calming place to go and we're obviously not the only ones that think that cos every so often when we reached a little clearing on the riverbank there would be a small circle of stones where someone had lit a small fire. Dave reckoned it was where the scouts had been but I pointed out all the bottle tops and "spliff" ends near by . . . . definitely not left by the scouts!

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                  Those pictures are so lovely you could frame them and hang them - I would if they were mine.Carol
                  I know - they are good but what gets me is that I can't take one good photo with my camera but I took these pics with Dave's phone. I couldn't believe how well they turned out when I uploaded them.
                  Auntynet

Comment

Gorgeous piccies. I really miss the drama of the Yorkshire countryside. We used to live in Huddersfield and I used to venture along Woodhead pass from time to time, only if the weather was clear!! There is nowhere as dramatic as that here in Suffolk.
                    Amanda
                    xx

Comment

They are lovely pics - and with a camera phone too!

I love the feeling you get sometimes when you find a lovely area with great scenery, or see a gorgeous sunset, it just makes you feel really alive somehow.

Claire
                      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Aw, wonderful photos and looks such a beautiful place. I'm away to Yorkshire for a couple of weeks very soon but unfortuantely will have no car so trips like that will be out of the question. But might bear it in mind for future reference!

Thanks for sharing and glad you had such a great time in a lovely place.
                        http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi, I love this spot too, and as a Derbyshire gal I have to say that Woodhead and Longdendale are indeed part of Derbyshire!! Well worth exploring if you haven't been. There are old world war plane wrecks to be found on the tops, and apparently ghostly sightings too!
                          Diane
                          www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

Those are beautiful photos Auntynet, I can understand why you were awe-struck by the beauty of it all. I love living where I do as I'm in a valley and, whilst my view isnt anything so gorgeous as your photos, I look out onto hills front and back and I just love watching the way the weather plays over them - I often look out onto one kind of weather through the front window and an entirely different type of weather through the back!

I might be a Bacup-based lass but I always reckon one of my feet must be in the Yorkshire border - ever since I realised when I moved here that I "fall off" the Greater Manchester A-Z and "fall into" the West Yorkshire A-Z!

Shaz x
                            Keepsake Kollections
                            & Rossendale Ramblings!
                            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by Focus on Life View Post
                              ....I look out onto hills front and back and I just love watching the way the weather plays over them - I often look out onto one kind of weather through the front window and an entirely different type of weather through the back! Shaz x
                              That must be awesome to just look out of the windows and see the hills on both sides and I can only imagine two different weather fronts - I'd never get anything done for marveling at the difference between front and back.
                              Auntynet

Comment

Working...
                              X