Friday 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday 5th

Morning all, sipping my coffee trying to think what I am going to do today. Back is better so think going to try to cut out the rest of theses drafted butterflies. No easy way to do it, trace round the wood shape but then have to cut fractionally smaller. Plus I chose an awkward style of butterfly! Once the cutting is done things should go a lot quicker.

Not much else planned, dog walk at some point and catch up tv.

HAGD & BBL x

Morning all! Very damp, but thankfully not actually raining, mild for the time of year and no breeze evident. Not sure if daylight is going to arrive or not!

Yesterday - a mixed bag and everything revolving around George's medication and both cats wants. George currently on 4 doses of medicine at differing times of the day. Did spend a bit of time on family tree stuff but no real revelations except a possible link to a 16th century Bishop of Ely and a Lord Chief Justice (same family), but the link to my family isn't confirmed. Seeing as we ended up as miners and shipbuilders it's a bit of a fall from on high! Brother and girlfriend dropped round for a few minutes - meeting outside and well apart. Dyke and well levels continued to drop slowly but steadily throughout the day. Very nearly finished the pattern stitching on the canvas work, and also did a few rows of knitting.

Today - thankfully the 14 hours of continuous rain overnight didn't materialise, although we did have some rain and a couple of heavy showers. I noticed a fairly large branch has broken off from the contorted willow outside the window in the extension - not sure why unless it had some particularly heavy pigeons perched on it! Water levels have risen, obviously, but not to danger level. Got some laundry on the go before more water worry arrives, and need to run the dishwasher later on. Only plan today is to try and do those last few stitches on the canvas work, sort out the box of wools and pack away what I don't need any more for this project, leaving only the two background colours to hand. Rest of the day will be medicating cats (George is getting good at hiding, I had to search for him this morning ) and getting food for the household.

Caroline - glad to hear your back is improved, but do continue to take things steadily. Good luck with cutting out the butterflies - these things always seem like a good idea but we forget how quickly the foundation work becomes tedious!
    Dave - hope the hand is just about back to normal colour, water levels around you haven't got any worse and you've managed some nice walks with Flo. What progress on the BSL?
    Clare - hope you're OK. Still looking at the next book project or have you made the big jump and got started?
    Shelley - hope the breathing has continued to ease and you are feeling a bit better. Did you get anywhere with the mandala glueing?

HAGO
    Linda

Comment

Morning Linda, hope the water continues to go down for you but looks like a deluge of snow for the weekend. George cheeky monkey they are so knowing the advantage of a polar bear of a dog is he cnnot hide, lol.

Lee had a call from Opthalmology would he like a drive thru, he said not at this time and they said fine will ring again in May after he has had his jabs. Not sure how a drive thru can work for checking glaucoma levels! They cancelled his 2nd Feb appointment last year then sent another letter, not received for the 19th.

Long walk, tick. Butterflies cut out, tick. Butterfies decorated, tick. Photographs done, tick. Listed as a draft, tick. Done more than I expected now what? maybe some reading in the chair with the v pillow.

Comment

Good morning,
        Sorry for being off the radar last couple of days. Has a couple of meh days.
        Positive news though, the book is well underway. The double rular technique didn't work well for me but I have a system I am happy with and the folds are looking pretty neat. I see some irregular folds but those are not noticeable when looking from a distance, which is how the books are supposed to be viewed. I am colouring as I go which is much better than doing it afterwards. It takes a little more time but I think it will be quicker on the long run.
        More positive news, my dad got the vaccine this week. My sister took him for it and apparently he came out with a lollipop, making out he had been given it like a child. Turns out he took it with him to wind my sister up. I last saw my parents in September. Feeling quite emotional that I might get to see them again relatively soon.

Today I will probably do a bit more on the book, trying to take my time with it as it is a lot of tricky folds. In some cases I have had 7-8 cuts in the space of 5mm.

I hope everyone has a great day.
        ​​Clare x

Comment

Morning all....mild here and bright.

Just got back from walking the dog. We noticed the wild garlic of which we have literally acres of it everywhere here, poking its head up through the undergrowth...signs of Spring at last. There are very few places in the British isles where it will actually grow wild....we are famous for it.

Didn’t do a lot yesterday, Amy turned up with the whirlwind so that put paid to the afternoon.

Nothing on the cutting mat yet, something will grab my attention at some point.

Hand is all pain free and functional, just still every colour of the rainbow 😂😂

Flood defences coming down at last.

BSL coming along ok, got around half of the words on the new list learned so that puts me up at around 300-ish...I know most in the second half of the list so now around 30-40% through course two....

Have a good’n all

Dave.

Comment

Afternoon all,

Rain earlier and now sunshine, well sort of.

Caroline, your batteries have been recharged and you are back in fine form - everything done and feet up reading. I saw the pictures on CC, very pretty and yes definitely your own vintage style.

Linda, I can just imagine you, meds in hand searching for a whylie George hiding from you Interesting family links, wonder if it will come to anything? Hope the water levels stay low. Interesting why the branch broke, fat pigeons sounds reasonable
            I saw the picture of the canvas work, it is very good, lovely detail. Are you going out and about to get food for the household? If so take care.

Clare, glad you are ok and making good progress with the book folding and colouring. Your dad sounds like he is a great laugh

Dave, glad the hand is better, hope the whirlwind wasn't too disruptive. Wild garlic, is it edible? Wonder why it likes it there? Let's hope the flood defences aren't coming down prematurely, not sure the rainy season is over yet.
            Something will drop on to the cutting mat soon, can't see you being with a project on the go The BSL will keep you busy for a bit.

Today my letter arrived yeah whoopie. Appointments booked now for Simon and me, his first is on Thursday next week and mine is on Saturday. Second one managed to book the same day within 10 minutes of each other in May.
            Once I have had my first one I will feel loads better, just need to stay away from the world for a bit longer and a couple of weeks after the jab and then life will be less stressed.
            Not far to travel, its near the main hospital so 20/30 mins there.

Feeling better today, ABs definitely working, pain in my chest subsiding, breathing a bit better. Only 3 days into 7 day course so on course for a good recovery.

Didn't manage to get up as early as I hoped, woke up around 6am and lay awake for a while and fell asleep again and slept through the alarm, not too late though. Not too worried as sleep is a great healer.

Didn't finish working out the glueing yet, more today.

Have a good day all and take care.

Shelley

Comment

Hi Shelley, yes, it is completely edible, the flowers are too. A lot of restaurants use it, you can make a pesto with it, chop it into salads etc. It isn’t as acrid tasting as regular garlic, it is a bit sweeter and more mild but needs to be cut and used while it is young, before the leaves get fibrous, usually when the flowers have died off. I’ll snap some in bloom this year and put it on CC. I’ve no idea why it doesn’t or won’t grow in other areas, it even pops up in gardens here like weeds. If you walk through it or the dog rolls in it you can smell it a mile off, it is extremely pungent.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
                Hi Shelley, yes, it is completely edible, the flowers are too. A lot of restaurants use it, you can make a pesto with it, chop it into salads etc. It isn’t as acrid tasting as regular garlic, it is a bit sweeter and more mild but needs to be cut and used while it is young, before the leaves get fibrous, usually when the flowers have died off. I’ll snap some in bloom this year and put it on CC. I’ve no idea why it doesn’t or won’t grow in other areas, it even pops up in gardens here like weeds. If you walk through it or the dog rolls in it you can smell it a mile off, it is extremely pungent.

Dave.
                Lots of recipes for pesto easily accessible on line. Allotment cooks and vegans love it apparently.
                Unfortunately, I don't think we have any round here, although I know there are patches of it in/around Hull

Linda

Comment

Working...
                X