Monday 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday 4th

Morning all, dull and overcast here may see the yellow blob for an hour. Need to finish the dusting and glass then all done for the week. Lee has to hoover downstairs.

Cut out my apron yesterday just waiting for the lining to arrive. Have enough left over to make a toddlers apron may look at that today. Not going to waste fabric bits and do not want to store then either. My new regime of being efficient.

Still quiet on the roads here Dave but my sister in Godalming says the main road is a constant hum, not sure where they are going but backwards and forwards.

Be careful with your head Linda, these things can have problems, just take it easy.

I think you are doing very well Mo, the carving is coming along nicely. Ooh I love seed cake, Lee does not!

Thank you for the kind words about the blouse, it was tricky but made in 3 hours in the end and that included hand sewing the sleeve and bottom hems. Very 40's styling which she loves. Will also suit her as petite, if I wore it would look like a hippo, lol.

How did the flowers and butterflies go?

HAGD & BBL x

Morning all! Dull, very damp, cool, might get a bit of sunshine late afternoon.

Yesterday - a bit more activity than recently, work on the bags is progressing and a number of them are good enough that I consider them done. Remainder will probably get done today since I found a method of putting in the base that doesn't take a lot of time - for a probably only single use bag need to weigh up the time spent with benefits of recycling the materials. Some serious cleaning of the kitchen and utility room floors, then more work on the Christmas decorations I started weeks ago, then a bit of knitting (back to making the teddies for the OCC charity).

Today - need to make a sauce for the pasta for tea, sort out orders for butchers and farm shop, then want to get the remainder of the bags completed. I've got a large quantity of hot chillies and another of hot peppers in the freezer and have been considering making some more sweet chilli sauce with them, just to get them used up. Must check the current stock and make sure it's keeping OK. Pleased to say my head continues to improve and back is not getting any worse although it takes quite a bit of stretching etc to get it comfortable first thing in the morning.

Caroline - even more impressed with the blouse if you made it in three hours! I do agree, however, that it is a style more suited to the petite figure than us of average build
    Dave - how did you get on with your mounts, frames and vectorising?
    Mo - did you manage to get out for a walk yesterday? Looking forward to seeing the new pieces of work when they're completed.
    Shelley - how did you get on with the flowers? Something else I'm looking forward to seeing when all is complete.

HAGO
    Linda

Comment

Morning all...

Bright here, dry, mild, the dog is in the garden making molehills into moleholes!

Completed a second map yesterday, this one is for my sister. She lives near West Bromwich. I wanted to do one with more detail, try an off the wall colour and a round mount, plus a heart on their house as a tester to see how it would look. Came out ok. I still need to see how to vectorise a raster file image because when I’m enlarging its pixellating and I have to keep getting the map up on the computer and drawing bits back in. I’ll suss it today hopefully, god bless Youtube 😁
      Sister has a houseful. Her daughter and husband plus their two kids were in a rented house that the landlord needed to sell. They couldn’t get another renal, where they were near B’ham, its so overcrowded with people, rentals are hard to find so rents have gone through the roof....needless to say they have moved in with her and Rob. Rob is off work as furloughed, sister is a practise manager, working every second week but the surgery is phone advice only so she isn’t in contact with the public.

Yesterday I e-mailed a friend of mine in Westport Co. Mayo.
      They run an air Bnb which is obviously closed at the minute so no income but she is a talented story writer, her husband is a brilliant illustrator, together they have been asked by the “Mayo news” to do a story/ stories in weekly episodes to fill space. She writes, he illustrates and draws a colouring page. The paper likes it that much they pay them a decent amount for it, enough to balance the books again. Westport is a beautiful place steeped on folklore, they won’t be stuck for material.

Have a goodun all
      Dave.

Comment

Linda an easy way to box bases of bags is on the outside pull up the corner and secure with a button to the side seam. Becomes a detail and easier than measuring. If inserting a rigid base put that in first then pull up the corners. Have often done this way and easier than all the faffing stitching.

Comment

Are you getting down with it Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
            Linda an easy way to box bases of bags is on the outside pull up the corner and secure with a button to the side seam. Becomes a detail and easier than measuring. If inserting a rigid base put that in first then pull up the corners. Have often done this way and easier than all the faffing stitching.
            Thanks Caroline. Unfortunately that would involve expense (would have to buy buttons as few in my current stash) and more time (sewing). These bags are intended to replace the brown paper carriers that are rampant at craft events, purely as a way to carry the purchases. I've actually already done the stitching across the corners, so it's just a matter of cutting a base from the material I've got and fixing it in the bag if it won't stay put on its own. The first couple I tacked in place, but it took a while because of the nature of the fabric and stiffener, the next few I used double sided sticky tabs, but the last few I've done the stiffener has stayed fairly steadily in the base of the bag on its own, so going with that for now.

I'll make a note of your method for any future makes though x

Linda

Comment

Good morning all.

Had rain overnight but sunny at the moment.

Spent yesterday having tidying up my crafting space. Too many different bits of various crafts out on the worktop, then had a go at some storage boxes. Found a few things we had forgotten bout, don't you always, and labelled up boxes so I now know what's in them. Gave my hand a rest from carving but found a few smaller carving tools as well which Pete has sharpened for me to try. Had a nostalgic look at some of my collection of fabric and a few patterns I had several things I could make but it's just another thing to start and not finish at the moment. Remembered I have some gorgeous Japanese style floral fabric I got to recover our 4 panel room screen which needs to be done before I make any clothes I don't really need. I have said when I retire I am going to get rid of all my work clothes maybe that will be the time to make some new stuff.

No idea at the moment what I'm going to do today, must get something out of the freezer to cook dinner tonight with, apart from that I actually have loads I could do on the pyro and ink front as well as get on with the bunny.

Glad there are no after effects of your bump on the head Linda. Love chilli jam. Hope you get to finish the bags.

Lovely blouse Caroline, lucky friend. When I was sewing more I used to put my scraps into bags in colour ways to use for patchwork. We do the same in work and sell the bags, people love them. Even if you don't sell them someone who does patchwork might be glad of them if they are too small for you to use.

Loved the WIP Shelley the butterflies were my favourite.

Dave, 'vectorise a raster file' no idea what you are on about, but hope you sort it LOL

Enjoy the day all and stay safe.

Mo.XX

Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
              www.bodrighy.co.uk
              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Haha...Mo, a “raster file”image is one that as you enlarge it the pixels get bigger and blockier, a “vector file” image you could blow up as big as you like, the pixels don't get bigger, the computer keeps adding them in so it stays sharp however big it is. Inkscape converts one to the other so when I blow a map up it’s still a sharp image... just need to see how. 😁

Dave.

Comment

Afternoon all,

Sun shining all day and mild, a bit breezy.

Caroline, 3 hours to make that beautiful blouse? Thats good enough to qualify for the Great british sewing bee. Adult and child aprons should be popular, at the moment there is a lot of family baking going on.

Linda glad the head and even the back are improving. Progress on the bags, any progress on the chilli sauce?

Dave, the round map works really well. Hope you get to grips with Inkscape, that what Simon uses for the same thing although he does use photoshop too.
                  Hope your sister has a big enough house so its not too crowded, it can't be easy at the moment to do anything normal like renting.
                  For some like your friends in Ireland, this may actually be a blessing in disguise and allow some to do things they only dreamed of before.

Mo, you have joined the ranks of the tidiers and sorters. Welcome to the found forgotten things club The Japanese fabric for the screen sounds just the right thing, now that I would like to see finished

Today more work on the butterflies and flowers. Trying to work out the fine details of how its all going to go together. I have used one of my clear cubes and put a battery operated LED light and some white foam to hold the flowers. But now I need to make some arrangement decisions.

Take care and have a good evening.

SH-SS (Stay home - Stay safe)

Shelley

Comment

Sussed it Shelley. I spent half hour cursing because I couldn’t find the “ Trace bitmap” button.....I was on GIMP instead of Inkscape 😩😆

Dave.

Comment

Ah well that won't help Dave, Simon says GIMP is also good but Inkscape for what you want is probably the best. How did it go?

Shelley

Comment

Are you getting down with it Dave?
                        Do you mean like “Gettin’ down with the kids” or do you mean pulling my hair out? 😁😬

Dave.

Comment

With the kids Dave

Comment

With the kids Dave
                            Haha....could have done with a kid to sort these programs out, they’d probably have found it a doddle😆

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly42 View Post
                              Ah well that won't help Dave, Simon says GIMP is also good but Inkscape for what you want is probably the best. How did it go?

Shelley
                              Yep, got my head round it eventually, happily vectorising now thanks...I was on GIMP....but shouldn’t have been, I was convinced I was on Inkscape, that was where the fault lay 😂😂

Comment

Working...
                              X