Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday 6th

Morning all

Dry and cold but good for walking. I now have no appointments until next Wednesday, free for 7 days to sew. The housework can be left as want some time off of cleaning.

Have the Mother's Day set to make up, the storage boxes to complete think I will be kept busy.

HAGD and BBL x

Morning all! Lateish up again today; fairly heavy frost on the insulated roofs, but a bit lighter on grass and pavements. No breeze to speak of, no rain and sun is doing its best to shine. Forecast for temperatures to rise and eventually be a bit warmer than yesterday.

Yesterday was almost another non-day in terms of doing anything useful. Did start off some gooseberry and ginger chutney (using stores from the freezer), but had to turn it off after a couple of hours as the ginger smell got far too overpowering. Apart from the usual bits nothing exciting. Very pleased to see big clumps of snowdrops starting to flower, crocus peeking through in the verges, and even our clumps of daffs in the garden are standing tall and ready to flower any time soon.

Today, chutney to finish, laundry already in the machine, need to pop to Barton for a couple of bits. Have stopped making bits for the Australia effort - fb group providing conflicting information (stop making, finish what you've got but don't start new, carry on as before, don't send to central point, do send), lots of bitchiness, false information, back stabbing, photos of the same old same old, and basic questions repeated several times a day and which can be answered if people bother to look further than their noses, plus answers which are vague and imprecise. Have run out of patience and gone back to knitting teddies for the OCC charity and my own knitting which I abandoned.

Caroline - sounds like your mojo has returned; crafting is much more fun than housework. Glad the hospital visit had a positive result for Lee.
    Mo - hope your day off wasn't too tiring and you had chance to do some more on the platter. Sounds like you've got the end of winter worn out feeling and situation at the shop won't be helping.
    Dave - wedding cut is beautiful, as ever, glad the visit to the museum was positive and possibly more work to come
    Shelley - some days just don't go as planned - I hate it when that happens, but I hope you managed to get everything sorted. I have a couple of friends who are "all consuming" in a face to face presence, and it can be very tiring, but the moment they've left your presence you tend to forget about that. Hope you survive the visit without being too tired at the end of it.

HAGO
    Linda

Comment

Evening all,

The sun shone and it was dry and mild all day.

Caroline you are back on a roll, nice when you have uninterrupted time. Enjoy.

Linda not surprised you gave yourself a break from the ginger, can't stand the stuff myself and neither can Simon, its a ginger free house Shame when good deeds come to nothing amid bickering and arguing. Good plan to go back to your usual.
      We have the bluebells coming up in the garden, we are very lucky to have them I have been told they are hard to get established. They have been here since we came 40 odd years ago and have thrived and spread to the other side so now two patches, daffs will be a bit later.

Mo hope you had a good day off and made some progress on the platter.

Dave keeping busy as usual?

Today's visit went well really. I had a few customers and he spent a lot of time chatting to Simon about music so I could just get on with something else quietly in the corner. Sorted all my scrap paper out, left over bits from die cuts, some definitely big enough to be useful.
      Did have a slight wobble about the fact that he has been in contact with loads of people as he travelled by plane from Poland. Managed to avoid the obligatory hugs and kisses saying it was me not him, need to stay healthy for the hospital, luckily he took it well.
      Not sure how serious we should be taking any risk to the UK. Oh well what will be, will be. Added to my already higher levels of anxiety over my upcoming procedure next Friday I may have wobbled too soon

Have done some more on the cards, more later tonight.

Did anyone see the pictures I posted of me and my bike? No one mentioned it so wondered if only I can see them?

Take care everyone and have a good evening.

Shelley

Comment

Evening all.

Bright and sunny for most of the day but very frosty this morning. I like this sort of winter weather you can wrap up against the cold but that incessant rain really gets me down. Forecast is for very high winds this weekend so don't think we will be going far.

I did get a lot more of the platter done yesterday, probably about an hour more to finish it so plenty of time, got another three weeks and a bit till her birthday. Also managed to do the mending at last and source some more storage boxes for product as some of the cheap ones we got first of all have had their day. Been replacing them bit by bit but we need more now with the amount of stock we have to take to the multi day fairs. Having Valerie we don't have to worry about jamming the boxes full as there is plenty of room and some to spare.

I need to then get on with some smaller items, got plenty of the bigger ones but small dishes and vessels sell better. Also will have to get some of the hanging decorations for C*******s done, can't believe we are a week into February all ready.

There are masses of snowdrops around here, more than I remember in previous years and the primroses are coming through along with the daffs. Just love snowdrops they look good painted onto the wood too.

Glad you had some time to yourself Shelley. Understand your anxiety especially with your procedure coming up. Glad the visit went well though. Not been on social media so much this last couple of weeks so didn't see your photos :-(

Go, go, go Caroline now everything is sorted at home.

So many posts from Australia saying they are inundated with crafted items for the animals now Linda. I've got the winter and last year at work worn out feeling for sure. We work harder and harder and it's still not appreciated and no one listens to a word you say, they just expect you to magic up trade out of thin air. Putting up the prices as instructed does not bring in more customers and make more profit. I have tried to explain that pricing something at £7.00 instead of our usual £5.95 only makes people wait for the two or three weeks till we reduce it by half to £3.50. When I could have sold it at £5.95 in the first place. If all the prices are too high then the customers stop coming in. Shut up Mo, you're getting boring.........................................

Off to see Mum tomorrow she will be 90 bless her. Taking her and Dad out to lunch which she will enjoy but have forgotten about it in a couple of hours LOL

Have a good evening all.

Mo.XX

Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Glad you had a good day on the platter Mo.

I feel for you, how can putting up the prices encourage people to buy? no sense some people. So glad I don't have someone over me hustling for sales.

Hope your have a lovely day with your mum, 90 - thats fab. My mum made 84 and her older sister

The pictures were posted here on Sunday.

Shelley
          Last edited by Lilly42; 06-02-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Did anyone see the pictures I posted of me and my bike? No one mentioned it so wondered if only I can see them?
            Yes, I saw the pictures and thought I had commented, but obviously memory is playing tricks again. You've obviously had it a long time and it must have been a wrench making the decision to sell. Unfortunately, I can't tell one motorbike from another, so can't make any constructive comments in that respect.

We work harder and harder and it's still not appreciated and no one listens to a word you say, they just expect you to magic up trade out of thin air. Putting up the prices as instructed does not bring in more customers and make more profit. I have tried to explain that pricing something at £7.00 instead of our usual £5.95 only makes people wait for the two or three weeks till we reduce it by half to £3.50. When I could have sold it at £5.95 in the first place. If all the prices are too high then the customers stop coming in.
            A very short-sighted and greedy view. It's all very well knowing about money, but when you're involved in retail you need to have some knowledge of the psychology of the buying public too. I thought your new CEO was showing promise to be a breath of fresh air in the organisation? Has he turned out to be just another one like all the rest?
            There are a number of local charity shops in this area that have tried to turn themselves into "boutique" type shops with prices to match. I rarely bother to go in them now, and even more rarely buy anything as so much of it is priced closer to the original new price than not; I'd rather pay a bit more and buy new.

Linda
            Last edited by craftdancer2; 07-02-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

How does that work then?...If its a charity shop run mainly by volunteers then surely any price is profit as they are donated to the shop?....how can they set margins or figures for profit? 🤷🏻‍♂️...I’d day that there is a fine line on what people will or will not pay...tell them its a charity shop, not a dress agency.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
                How does that work then?...If its a charity shop run mainly by volunteers then surely any price is profit as they are donated to the shop?....how can they set margins or figures for profit? 🤷🏻‍♂️...I’d day that there is a fine line on what people will or will not pay...tell them its a charity shop, not a dress agency.

Dave.
                Shops have to have paid Managers, and Assistant managers. We still have to pay rent/leases, business rates, services, private business rubbish collection, computers, leases for copy machines and all the normal consumables that a company needs. Ancillary stuff like IT, fire checks, H&S, PAT testing etc etc. What we take has to cover these costs for our shop and make a profit or there is no point in trading. Profits then have to be spread amongst financing what we do, getting disadvantaged people back into work, schools, childrens homes, medical and financial support for those people, paying for the front line people that do it, running costs for all the departments it goes on and on.

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thanks Mo, didn’t realise to that extent,.....in that case, up the prices, get selling 😁 xx

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                  X