I have a blog. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a blog. Now what?

After spending many hours on the computer reading up on SEO and UFO's and all sorts of other abbreviations I realised I should probably have a blog, so I set one up.

My friend who set up my site has gone off and got a good engineering job so I am on my own and all I am trying to do is get my site noticed.

Do you successful bloggers find it helps to promote your site and does it increase traffic to your site?
    And how do you keep coming up with things to write? I have done the profile etc but am really stumped when it comes to posting on there, I can't seem to find the words.

Any advice greatly accepted.

Thanks
    Angie
    www.byangela.co.uk
    www.byangeladesigns.blogspot.com

I'm only a brand-new-blogger so someone more experienced will be along soon. My best advice for "what to write?" syndrome is have a look around as many of the forum guys blogs as you can, you'll get plenty of ideas by doing that

Happy Blogging
    Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

I've been wondering what this blogging thing is all about. Is it a bit like a diary?? I know it's all the rage, but I'm not sure I would want to share my inner most thoughts with the whole world ...or am I missing the point?

FD

Fair Do's!

Comment

just bread some of the members blog ( address in signature line) and that will give you an idea of what they're about.
        Seems anything goes really ( well almost).
        Must admit the few I'd come across before were just an online (boring too) diary, but the ones I've viewed lately aren't, but full of ineresting craft stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Fair Do View Post
          I've been wondering what this blogging thing is all about. Is it a bit like a diary?? I know it's all the rage, but I'm not sure I would want to share my inner most thoughts with the whole world ...or am I missing the point?

FD
          Well for me, as I dont have a website or an Etsy shop or anything "virtual" yet, its turned out to be a quick & easy (ish so far!) way to set up something I could at least start posting pictures of my samples to...

...and no you dont have to share your innermost shenanigins with anyone you dont want to! Again, have a looksee at as many other blogs as you can, you'll see some share private stuff and some dont

Enjoy
          Shaz x
          Keepsake Kollections
          & Rossendale Ramblings!
          http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

I use my blog to share any new stuff I've come up with, Shaz's advice is good, look at other peoples blogs and note what it is that you like and don't like about them, that will give you a good idea of what to include on your own. Once you start writing, it will get easier!
            www.truebloom.blogspot.com
            www.truebloom.co.uk
            My Etsy Shop

Comment

Me too! very new to the blogging thing and at first a little uneasy about what to write as i very much wanted to keep things focused. I'm still looking around at other blogs and deciding what I like and what I don't. I'm hoping it will come to me in a flash.......soon!
              Keep looking and you will get inspiration.

Sue
              www.susiedolls.com
              www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

write about what interests you

Originally posted by byangela View Post
                Do you successful bloggers find it helps to promote your site and does it increase traffic to your site?
                And how do you keep coming up with things to write? I have done the profile etc but am really stumped when it comes to posting on there, I can't seem to find the words.
                I'm fairly new to blogging, only started last November. I didn't set one up for ages because I too wasn't sure what to write about. In the end what made me do it was realising just how far I've come in my Japanese embroidery and wanting chart the journey and share that. I only write about my stitiching, I don't add any family stuff. My advice is to write about whatever it is you love, craft, family, etc, and don't feel obliged to blog every day. Because my stitiching takes so long to do there can often be a number of days between posts - depends how mutch stitching I've done.

I have found that visits to the Japanese Embroidery Gallery have gone up since I started the blog. Not by much, and they were going up steadily anyway, but then the gallery isn't for selling stuff so I haven't really tried to point people in that direction.

As for getting people to visit your blog, visit lots of other blogs and post comments about their work. I visited lots of craft/embroidery sites to see what was out there and when I left comments I found that those people would start leaving comments on my blog. Whenever someone new leaves a comment on my blog I always check their blog or website out.
                Post links to other blogs you like and let the authors know, they may link back to your site.
                My visitor numbers haven't grown very quickly but I am now getting a regular number of visitors each day.

If you post photos in flickr groups you can link to your blog from there.
                I think it's just a question of persevering, I'm sure your numbers will gradually grow.
                Janey

www***ido.blogspot.com
                www***ido.org.uk
                www.nejiribana.etsy.com

Comment

I am new on here but have been blogging for almost a year, I don't promote my blog really, I suppose I should but as for writing on it I put whatever comes to mind really. I post whatever I have crafted, which has mostly been jewellery recently, and recipes every so often becuse I'm always pottering in the kitchen. a few close friends and family members who are in California, Idaho, and Texas read my blog so i do ocassionally put family stories. I started my blog as a way to get back into writing, and its lead to me getting back into arts and crafts so it has been fairly positive, though I don't tend to get many visitors that leave comments.

I think once you start it sort of keeps itself going, I blog but never written an actual journal.

good luck!
                  Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Comment

If you are using your blog to promote what you do, you don't have to write screeds and screeds, your photographs will speak for themselves. You can also add other content like slideshows and videos if you had or favoured any. There's no need to get too personal if you don't want to. You decide what you want people to know about you. I use my own blog to promote anything I am doing and to highlight my weekly work in pictures. I have a LiveSpace...just another blogging thing....which I keep as a more personal thing and I link it to my blog so people can choose to find out more about me if they wish. You can add a sitemeter too and find out where people are visiting from which is always interesting. Using your blog as a link in your signature will always get people checking you out so it is good in that way too. Once you get into it you will be hooked. I love the photograph you have on yours, just add more and more and you'll gain poplularity as people will like what they see.
                    Aine2
                    http://www.extra-icing.blogspot.com
                    http://www.extraicingdemonstrationsa...s.blogspot.com
                    http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk

Comment

I agree. I only discovered blogs recently but once I understood what they were and how they worked I knew they could be a valuable way of getting out there and advertising my crafts.

My advice would be keep it simple. Aine2 is right pictures do more for you than text. Remember to add links to any online sites you have (website, ebay or etsy shops etc). Also, if you have an Etsy shop don't forget to add your "Mini Etsy" to your blog!

Happy blogging!
                      Natalie
                      website blog

Comment

Hiya,

I started a blog earlier this month and also sat there wondering what to write. This is gonna sound stupid, but I found alot of blogs on search engines and I didn't actually realise they were blogs!! Doh!!

I started adding in a few pics and just writing about some new things I'd made. I've recently done a craft fair, which was perfect to blog about.

By the way - I just love the necklace you have on your blog. It's stunning.

Good luck with the blog
                        Chloe's Designs
                        Bead & Findings Shop
                        Ebay Shop

Comment

Working...
                        X