Google Street View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Street View

This is something that I'm just not comfortable with so thought I'd share my concerns...

http://eljay1980.wordpress.com/2009/...e-street-view/

Am I wrong to be concerned?

LJ xxx

I'm afraid that I have to agree with you. yet another incidence of Big Brother is Watching You. Makes one feel so insecure. To date we are not on it.

I wonder if we have any rights - could we object with any degree of success. There must be something in the Privacy Laws that could be used.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

It's been shelved due to concerns.

Comment

Once again thankyou Peter. Do you have your ear very close to the ground or was it 'Straight from the Armadillo's mouth'. lol. Don't answer that - I am just pleased to hear it.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

http://www.asylum.co.uk/2009/03/20/g...m-street-view/

Comment

Don't think it's been shelved, it seems to be certain images they're being forced to remove, as and when people complain.

Comment

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with concerns over this service, if it has been shelved then I will breathe a sigh of relief but then ask the question 'but for how long?' but from what I've read online they are just removing certain images if asked to do so.

Comment

I think I'm right in saying that you can request them to remove an image of yourself and they have to ...not sure if that includes your property though!

FD

Fair Do's!

Comment

I heard this on the news and had a look. They say they ''grey'' people's faces but on some instances, people could be recognised.

I found this whilst looking for an article about it
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...ny-images.html

It's 16 pictures that viewers have ''selected'', they have one of a man taking a pee!!!!!!

The thing is who's going to trawl through all these pictures to try and find themselves in order to ask for the footage to be removed.

I too am concerned, I think bad things are going to come out of it. On the 10 o'clock news, they said people were captured going in and out of sex shops, someone being arrested, etc...
                  Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

We live on a farm and I don't think Google will ever reach us, so I thought I'd do our own. See my blog!
                    No pictures of peeing men, sex shop visitors or drunks in the road tho'!
                    Marion
                    Marion
                    Embroidered Originals
                    Here is my Blog
                    Embroidered_Originals website
                    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Now I'm really jealous! It looks beautiful Marion.
                      Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, Gail. Yes I feel really lucky to live here - it is a lovely place.
                        Marion
                        Marion
                        Embroidered Originals
                        Here is my Blog
                        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I'm concerned about it too. I orignally thought it was a good idea, thinking that if I had to drive to a new place, being able to see it from street view would be helpful, I could pinpoint landmarks etc.

However, I was watching a programme last night and they were saying that criminals could look at properties and work out an escape route all before they went to break in.

I have fields behind me and access to the side of my home, if a criminal broke in to anyone's property down my road then they could work out a great escape route!!!!!

By the way to any criminals reading: I have nothing worth stealing so don't bother, and I might have to set the cats, children, pheasants and squirrels on you!!!!!!!
                          Diane
                          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Actually, I had taken the photos for my blog to promote the farm for visitors and just used the street view thing as a title since it was topical. But I have to say, I agree with all the concerns.
                            Nothing's left private anymore.
                            Apart from the security aspect, it's quite sinister. City centres are one thing - I could see the argument from a tourist or business point of view, but residential streets smacks of voyeurism.
                            Marion
                            Marion
                            Embroidered Originals
                            Here is my Blog
                            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post

However, I was watching a programme last night and they were saying that criminals could look at properties and work out an escape route all before they went to break in.
                              I hope this doesn't offend but I can't link the 2 together... OS maps have buildings on them and have for years..

Look at wales for a house in the middle of nowhere ... Basically if someone wants to rob you they will...

My OH is italian and in italy all houses have bars on the window to stop robbers BUT as all have bars its set all houses at the same level thus a robber in italy come with tools. Basically I see nothing wrong with it even car number plates can be copied just by walking down a street OR just visit autotrader etc...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                              (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X