Bride ~ Tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bride ~ Tattoos

I've been wanting to feature brides with tattoo's for sometime now and I'm sure I'll find some more stunning examples in the future.

Bridal tattoo's are common place in India and other Asian cultures. The tattoo's there are formed with a paste of henna and are piped from papre cones onto the brides hands (and sometimes the face) as part of the preparation ceremony. Once the paste has dried it can be washed off or alternativly wrapped to make the tattooing darker.
    When an indian bride marries she traditionally leaves her home to go to that of her husbands family. Whilst the tattoos remain in place, the bride is looked after and waited on by her husbands family, however once the tattoos have disappeared she then takes her place looking after her husbands family.

In western countries, until fairly recently women who had tattoos were encouraged to keep them hidden although the art form is now far more accepted and shown off. The following selection of photographs show brides displaying their tattoos proudly.

Styalised bird tattoo's

Photo by: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnaedoo/

Great dragonfly tattoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joannalanephotography/

Beautiful shoulder tattoo of stars echoed in the flowers.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

More...
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Excuse me... but where are the brides who proudly own some Wood Tattoos?

Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post

lol

The 2 birds on the back are really beautiful.
      Sarah

Comment

Whilst the tattoos remain in place, the bride is looked after and waited on by her husbands family, however once the tattoos have disappeared she then takes her place looking after her husbands family.
        I'd never wash again!
        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love tattoos and have a few of my own, but I tend to keep them covered most of the time. I still feel that I get a few strange looks from people and as a single parent with tattoos, I get labelled and stereotyped, which is a shame because I am nothing like how people perceive me to be from my tats etc.

Just goes to prove the point never judge a book........

I'd love to have a tattoo like the henna ones!!!
          Diane
          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

What an interesting read! This questions come up fairly often in a wedding forum I belong to, and I actually encourage brides not to cover their tattoos in makeup, I think they can look stunning!
            My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
            http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wonder how long it took to carry out the henna lace glove effect??

It's the colours which put me off tattoos - are they used because they're "traditional" or because it's not possible to make others?
              ElaineJ soap and other stuff
              website
              blog

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                New line for you - steamed and curved veneers for petals and leaves both with pyrography veining.
                website
                blog

Comment

I think henna is typically brown, I have seen different shades, but I think this comes from how long it is left on the skin. I don't think henna comes in other colours.

Real tattoos however, come in lots of lovely colours, only problem is they don't come off!!!!
                  Diane
                  Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

The henna tattoos are oragnic and the length of time the paste is left on determines the depth of the colour. They can also be wrapped in cling film so that as the arm sweats, the henna is drawn into the pores. This makes it last longer.
                    Asian skin has a darker undertone to the tattoo than caucasian skin and so again the actual look to the tatoo will differ in the same way that everyones suntan colour differs.
                    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

When I did A level art (quite some time ago!) I had my hands henna tattooed as part of a project and although it was only on for an hour it lasted well over a week. A girl who I was at school with did it all for me with all her little sisters and brothers watching - we had a good giggle cos it kept tickling me and I wouldn't keep still! Best bit was her mum made a load of food which was great but I had to eat carefully so the dried dye did not fall off my hands!

At the time I worked in a supermarket and I got some very strange looks and comments because I am white and it just wasn't expected that I should have henna on my hands......

Comment

The henna tattoos are fine - it's the brash colours of the traditional blue, green, red and yellow - have other colours been developed?
                        website
                        blog

Comment

For permanent tats? Yes - you can every colour of the rainbow

Henna tats are a lot of fun though - draw anything you like (as large as you like) and it only lasts for a few weeks
                          "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                          Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                          http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a tattoo of a bat and it looks like a watercolour painting, it was expensive but the guy had a lot of awards and was a real artist. My friends have some incredbile tattoos with fruits, butterflies, exotic flowers etc and you would think they have been painted. Colours only have to be horrid if the tattoo artist isnt very good! Ask to see photos of previous work. Mine wasnt on display when I got married as my gran doesnt know I have one (I got it 12 years ago!) and I dont intend to ever tell her.

I love playing with henna but havent done it for ages, might nip down to the market and get some now you mention it, have a girly night. You can often find it in hippy shops or indian shops and if you use stencils its really easy to get intricate patterns, you just slap it on. Beware of black henna, it has something in it which can cause horrendous burns if you react badly to it so make sure you do a patch test.
                            flickr
                            blog
                            my website
                            etsy

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                              I love tattoos and have a few of my own, but I tend to keep them covered most of the time. I still feel that I get a few strange looks from people and as a single parent with tattoos, I get labelled and stereotyped, which is a shame because I am nothing like how people perceive me to be from my tats etc.

Just goes to prove the point never judge a book........

I'd love to have a tattoo like the henna ones!!!
                              Didnt someone start a Tat thread? Did you show yours on it? I cant remember. why dont you see if you can find it? Mine are on there, Ild luv to see yours....
                              Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Working...
                              X