Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java Jacket Tutorial

java jacket

I love coffee and I love having my own little java jacket to put around my drink much to M's amusement so I thought I would write up a simple pattern and share it with you. Please be kind this is my very first pattern/tutorial.

materials

1 paper coffee cup for measurement
    needles: US 8 (5.0mm)
    yarn: 10 ply (I used Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed in purple but any yarn will do)
    2 vintage buttons
    yarn needle
    needle and thread

Instructions
    Cast on 15 stitches.

1st row: knit

repeat until the piece of knitting wraps around the cup tightly

bind off leaving a tail of yarn 10 in long.

sew the ends together using the tail end of yarn.

Then sew on vintage buttons or beads or any other embellishments you wish.

Take it to the coffee shop and slide it on your coffee cup.

Drink copious amounts of coffee/tea.

------------------------------------------------------

Its a quick, simple, and fun project that uses up any oddments of yarn that are hanging around your knitting stash. It can easily led its self to more complicated knitting methods, cables, lace, or even bobbles.

I'm sure there are plenty of other java jacket/coffee cozy patterns out there, crocheted or knit in the round if you have a good search. I'm a leftie and as such I tend to get muddled when reading any sort of pattern, but if I go my own way and make things up for simple items things seem to work out quite well. I do intend to teach myself to crotchet by making various java jackets and simple items.

Java jackets protect your hands from hot or icy drinks, feels pleasing to the touch and is the perfect environmental alternative to cardboard coffee sleeves.The sleeve will stretch to fit most paper coffee cups and is small enough to carry in your purse or pocket. Or can be worn on your wrist to the coffee shop, although M says they should be gold in colour and wear two of them like Wonder Woman. Maybe next time.

More...
    Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Thanks for that. Actually, my Aged Aunt refuses to drink out of paper cups so maybe if I knitted one of those and kept it in my bag she would consider it when we were out. I will try.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
      Thanks for that. Actually, my Aged Aunt refuses to drink out of paper cups so maybe if I knitted one of those and kept it in my bag she would consider it when we were out. I will try.

there are more patterns to be found online if you do a serch.. I'm not good at following patterns.. this is very simple but looks nice and makes me smile when I'm drinking my coffee on a cold day with it hugging round my cup.. I have done one with a cable round it... might try to do another one as that one has dissapeared somewhere.... I have a pair of short needles that I call my travel needles.. no good for big projects but perfect for doing little things like java jackets.. so when i'm in the mood for knitting I bring a small ball of wool and knit java jackets and such as it dosent really take much concentration....

that and I'm in love with the vintage buttons I found..

Comment

These sound like an ideal travel project. I can't sit with my hands empty so I always carry something small to sew (Haven't knitted for ages) when I go on a bus or train. Maybe it is time I got my needles out again. I have so many different things on at the moment I can't envisage finishing any of them. Ah well!!!
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I'm the same.. I always have about 20 diffrent projects going on at once... but sometimes I like to have a bit of mindless quick and fun knitting to play with....

Comment

Working...
          X