Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fur items

Hi

I'm looking for someone that is interested in sewing a range of items from fur, anything from hats to cuffs.
    The fur is all ethically sourced (we are members of the British Fur Trade Association)and will be free issued for manufacture into items. the range will be diverse and unique

Anyone wishing to get on board, please contact me initially and we can go from there

Cheers

Chris

Ethically-sourced fur?

Please tell me more about this animal which lives a fulfilled and happy life, and whose skin falls off naturally without stress or injury ...

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
      Ethically-sourced fur?

Please tell me more about this animal which lives a fulfilled and happy life, and whose skin falls off naturally without stress or injury ...
      I agree entirely! I'd normally keep quiet if it's just something I don't like.....but I like animals a whole lot more than most people. Ethically sourced? The ONLY ethically sourced 'fur' is FAUX fur! I'm not a seamstress anyway, but I wouldn't offer my skills to something of that nature even if I were, I'm afraid. However, if you were to use some kind of synthetic (some of which can really be very good) fur, then I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding a crafter to help you out
      Charlotte x

Comment

Surely the only way to ethically source animal fur is to skin roadkill? The only people to ethically source fur were cavemen.

Dave.

Comment

I think it's horrible to even contemplate wearing fur, so many animals who have beautiful fur have been made extinct or almost extinct because humans want to wear a pretty fur coat or hat. And these days there's plenty of alternative material to choose from.
          "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Personally, I do eat meat. Although very little, but nonetheless I'd be lying if I said I didn't eat it. (I am more of a veggie person, but defo not a fully fledged vegetarian!) I also have a dog, who I feed commercially produced dog food to. I don't have much choice in that respect, as it's as close as possible to what his natural diet would be. If I could feed him apples and carrots and he'd still be healthy, then I would! However there are certain things I draw the line at. Eating veal, is one! Veal is extremely popular here, but I won't touch it on principal. I'm under no illusions that one person refusing to buy/eat it, will in any way cut the amount of it down on supermarket shelves. The Netherlands is one of, perhaps even the biggest producer of veal meat.....and it's cheaper to buy than chicken here. Although as part of EU regulations, most farms/meat producers have strict guidelines to follow on animal welfare, in reality, a lot of them really do get away with some disgusting crimes. That is why I won't touch it. A meat, that if the animal is reared correctly, is more costly to produce than chicken/beef or whatever, appears on the supermarket shelves for peanuts, then you need to start asking questions as to how ethical/humane it really is.

I really don't doubt your intentions in that you believe your fur is ethically sourced. Unless you personally oversea the entire production to know that piece of fur in your hand really did come from the source you're led to believe it did, you really can't vouch for that. As a bear maker and collector, I often see 'recycled fur coat' bears. Amazing works of art, some of them - but I'd never buy one. Never. The recycled fur trade is huge in toy making. Is it really recycled, or is it like elephant tusks? We all know that still goes on. Only a tiny proportion of what you think is ethically sourced, probably is. The reality is that it's cheaper to buy these things on the black market and ship them in than to produce it ethically. So although your supplier may not have had a hand in anything shady, that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened somewhere down the line.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I wouldn't touch fur as either a customer or crafter, in the same principal that I won't buy or eat veal, but I'm not on a witch hunt, and really don't want to fall out with you (or anyone else). I've said my twopenneth, and that's it. Back to my corner! I am looking forward to seeing your watches though!
            Charlotte x

Comment

I am interested to know what animal fur you use, you say it's ethical as the animals are used for food. I am not aware of any of the meat I eat having fur....
              Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

No such thing as 'ethical' fur!! You have to kill an animal to get it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Loody View Post
                  I am interested to know what animal fur you use, you say it's ethical as the animals are used for food. I am not aware of any of the meat I eat having fur....
                  Jugged Hare????????? lol.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by glynisrose View Post
                    No such thing as 'ethical' fur!! You have to kill an animal to get it!!
                    Natural causes? I have no idea but it's the only thing I can think of.
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

The business plan for manufacturing fur items using road kill would make for an interesting read....

Comment

I think there is someone who makes pretty strange hats and clothing from road kill and other animals who have died of natural causes, people bring them to her, I read about her in the Sunday Times some time ago now.
                        "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

I eat meat. Locally produced meat and locally-shot wild pests (rabbit). Oh. and one of my chickens recently who stopped laying and started to turn into a cockerel. Yummy soup!

So I have to consider that - if I were certain of its provenance - sheepskin and rabbit fur is acceptable, if and only if the fur is a bye-product of meat production.

As I am an occasional meat eater, it would be hypocritical of me to consider otherwise.

In fact, when an animal is slaughtered , I think it disrespectful to the planet to waste parts of it that might be used.

However, I can think of no useful meat animals which also have what the fur trade considers to be commercially-valuable fur skins ...

Other than as a bye-product of meat production, the only other remotely-ethical fur I can think of would be that produced as a bye-product of recognised-as-essential control of vermin and non-native invasive species.

A nice rat-fur coat, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post
                            I think there is someone who makes pretty strange hats and clothing from road kill and other animals who have died of natural causes, people bring them to her, I read about her in the Sunday Times some time ago now.
                            Yes I saw that too. Looked pretty gothic to me. Magpie wings etc. must have a look and see if we can find it.
                            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think this may be it:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1160046.ece

Comment

Working...
                              X