No announcement yet.

Fur items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was it! It wouldn't be my taste in clothing!
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Originally posted by eena View Post
      A nice rat-fur coat, anyone?
      I am Country Bred and like Eena am an occasional meat eater but would not appreciate someone walking around in my old skin after I am gone. (Shudder). Wearing fur has never appealed to me but, having said that, should it all come down to 'Survival of the fittest' I could well see myself strutting round in some discarded fur covering. principles or no.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I also eat meat now and again, saying that, in our freezer is half a Shetland lamb, half a hoggett and since last night a whole 62 kg jointed full pig. All are free range, kept ethically by a registered rare breed pig keeper that also raises the sheep. I know the breeder personally, I know the land where they are all kept, I know the slaughter man and I know the butcher that joints it all up. The animals are not raised to be turned into meat, but end up as such only if homes cannot be found. The pigs are not forced to killing weight, have the best life possible until such may be their fate. They are housed near a small wood and are left to forage there as well as on the land. The pig and sheep in the freezer, plus all of their offal, bits and bobs will last us all year. Knowing the welfare of the animal right up to the care shown when it is butchered is of utmost importance to me. I don't ever order the meat but generally get first refusal round about September/ October of an animal or half an animal from one of the breeders that I know. We only use butchers for beef which I rarely eat....once you have tried free range pork, there is no turning back.

Dave.

Comment

I am vegetarian.

However I wish all animals that end up on plates could be treated as well as that Dave.
          "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Someone recently told me I was very hard-hearted to have eaten Tidy the hen.

I retorted by saying that I know Tidy had a contented life and a stress-free death; can you say the same about the chicken that you eat?

No, she confessed she couldn't, and saw my point ...

Comment

Yuck! I only just joined this forum, but I have to agree.....Ethical fur??? No such thing!! And yuck again at this thread post subject!
              Mrs Plop

Mrs Plop's Website

Mrs Plop's Shoppe on Etsy

Mrs Plop's Facebook

Comment

Not to be controversial but I do wonder how many people who abhor the idea of fur still have leather shoes, bags etc. Leather is after all is the same stuff as fur basically. The reasoning behind people not using fur is understandable but I am never sure how or where you draw the line? if it is the life the animal has and the means by which it is killed then surely humanely farmed animals would be acceptable? Just asking the question out of curiosity not to stir up an angry debate.

Pete
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

I wear leather because it's a by product of the meat I eat. I won't wear fur because I don't agree with an animal being killed purely for vanity.... It's not double standards, it's just the way I feel. A shop I work in was recently selling rabbit fur collars, I personally wouldn't wear it, but the fur was a by product of rabbits used for meat. So really is the same as leather.
                  i don't like the fact that an animal has to die for me to be able to eat, but am sorry, but I like meat too much to give it up...
                  Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Trouble is, when you read into articles about the "Ethical fur trade", the animals are reportedly kept and raised in enclosures, not in a natural type environment, that is where the ethical halo seems to slip according to opinion.

Dave.

Comment

But the fact is they're still killed for vanity...... there's no place for that anywhere
                      Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Very true Loods, I'm a Buddhist so it sits not well with me either. I eat meat, I wear leather too, why not. If something has been killed be it needlessly or naturally then the least we could do is show some degree of respect by putting the by products to use. That said, I'm all for recycling but for necessity, not for vanity or ego.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
                          Very true Loods, I'm a Buddhist so it sits not well with me either. I eat meat, I wear leather too, why not. If something has been killed be it needlessly or naturally then the least we could do is show some degree of respect by putting the by products to use. That said, I'm all for recycling but for necessity, not for vanity or ego.

Dave.
                          My sentiments exactly Dave
                          Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

There certainly is a difference between wearing a pair of leather shoes and wearing a leopard skin coat.

Comment

Yes, there is a huge difference. Until recent years, there was little choice in shoe fabric. Leather was virtually the only choice, so leather shoes were a necessity. Either that or go barefoot. There is more choice now, but as somebody who is slightly obsessed with shoes, I can say that the quality is not comparable! For summer shoes, certainly, man made fabrics are fine, but for winter shoes, the comfort and durability of leather is far superior. Having said that, I have a rather large shoe collection. Out of those, I have about 7 pairs of leather ones - most are a few years old or more. The rest are fabric or other man made fashion ones. Not half as comfy, not very breathable, and they don't last as long, but I can get a fix for my addiction without using animal products! The sensible shoes that I tend to live in will last me for considerable years though, and are a by-product from the meat we all eat.....I've never seen leopard meat on any menu or supermarket shelf!

As for leather bags, I don't own a single one. Partly because I don't want a leather bag when I can 'make do' with a man made fabric one, and partly because I prefer the choice and lower cost in the cheaper fabrics! I have quite a few bags (to match the shoes!).

I also won't knowingly buy cosmetics of any kind that have been tested on or use animal products either. But, how many of us actually realise the amount of every day items that do. I was shocked to recently find out that even contact lenses are tested on animals - I wore them for many years without even knowing. Unless we pump ourselves full of vitamin tablets, then meat is needed in our diets, but so many other things are not needed at all, and we use for our own vanity or pleasure. I think eating meat is fine (for those who can afford to, and I wish I was one, to source it from ethical farms if possible), and to wear leather shoes so, as Dave said, the animal hasn't died in vain. It is a respect thing to use as much as possible. Most off-cuts of meat are used in cat/dog food too, so if the leather hide is also used then there really is hardly any waste. Perfumes, handbags, contact lenses etc.....are all vanity items, not a real need though. That's where I draw the line, personally. I'm hoping to go back to wearing contact lenses, purely so I don't need to wear my specs on my wedding day, but if I can't find a brand that doesn't test on animals, I'll go without. I don't WANT something that badly that an animal needs to suffer for my pleasure. I'll probably eat meat for tea tonight, and I'll wear my leather shoes, but I won't plaster animal products on my face, or wear their fur. I would much rather see that beautiful leopard on a nature programme running free, than draped over my shoulders looking hideous in the name of self gratification.
                              Charlotte x

Comment

Don't think it is possible. Unless you find some kind a dead animal in the woods.
                                http://liliputians.com

Comment

Working...
                                X