pewter dice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pewter dice.

I have been looking for a supply of pewter or metalic dice online. I have found a supplier in the US, but they work out at £1 a dice - which is ok, but the postage puts the price beyond what I can pay.
    So I am looking for someone who could make these for me. Originally, these would have been made by Sailors flattening the sides of musket balls and using a hammer and nail to make the spots. So I am looking for a basic 6 sided dice of normal dice size - so nothing too complex at all.
    Any offers?
    cheers
    Chris

I did find these >>>>HERE<<<<

"Lead dice
    Made from lead free pewter similar in weight and size to lead dice made from hammered musket balls during the Civil War
    Price £3 each"

Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Oakdale Studios Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
      bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

I have ordered from Gothic Green before, real nice guy, I recommend them. However, I need to keep my costs down, and when ordering in bulk there is a big difference between £1 and £3 per unit.
        As to the Video - yes, I have even considered making them myself.

Comment

I think to have them hand made from scratch would make them prohibitively expensive.

They'd have to cast a ball in fine English Pewter, then hammer it into a cube, then put the spots on.

There are Pewter casters that'd make them from a mould but then they'd all look exactly the same and less "authentic".

I suppose it'd be best if you made them yourself to keep the costs down, lead free solder is similar to Pewter and doesn't dull down like lead does.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Scour charity shops for old pewter mugs, often less than a pound each. An old saucepan and melt them down. Make a mold in some hard wood like oak, doesn't need to be that accurate as cleaning them up afterwards would be relatively quick and easy. Need to do it outside or in a safe place mind not best in the kitchen.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

I've picked them up for £1 in the past but they are hard to hunt down and I had to wheel and deal. £3 is a fair price.
              See if you can find Kaye Rouse. She makes them but doesn't/didn't have a web site but does have a web presence.
              Then try Steve Millingham of Pewter Replicas, Steve of Red Dog Forge, ask Sue of Casts from the Past (she's folded but must have stock left)....then who's the new guy on the block? Christophus. They are all pewter casters.
              If you want links give me a shout but they can all be googled.

Comment

Oops I missed your post Pete. we must have been typing at the same time .
                Does anyone have a date for when lead stopped being used in pewter? I'm sure I was casting lead as a child. (Don't do this at home, children. Look how I've turned out )

So basically the law now goes - dice are toys. Don't make toys with lead in them. Then it follows - melting down pewter tankards of unknown composition to make into toys is not good and better not to do it (unless you are a chemical analyst, in which case you could test the tankard first.)

Buy lead free pewter. (Boy has that gone up in price!....I remember when.....)

So why are we not casting I the kitchen, Pete? I do. I melt the stuff on the hob which is next to the cold tap for when I burn myself . Would the elves of safety not be proud of my logical thinking?

And an even easier way of making moulds. Use plasticine. (For posh stuff I do a little wooden or plaster carving and press the plasticine into/onto it and then, being incredibly lazy I pour the molten pewter into the plasticine. If you are careful you can achieve an almost smooth flat back. You tend to deform the plasticine peeling it off the metal but you just squidge it back into a ball and use it again.

Comment

There are some DIY lead testing kits for that very purpose..... http://www.mandimart.co.uk/lead-test...2013-256-p.asp
                  Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Hi Annie,
                    I don't know when lead was legally removed from pewter though my research showed me that it apparently wasn't supposed to be used in any food items for a long time. My reasons fr not doing it in the kitchen are simple. I am clumsy and spilling it on a worktop or wooden floor would result in me sleeping in the workshop I suspect LOL. I get my mugs from charity shops and though you have to keep checking they can still be attained for between £1 and £3 each. The smaller hops are the best bet not big ones where they now price things properly. I am surprised that plasticine works and must give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

Pete
                    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

Wow Vik! That's neat. But what's with the Mexicans poisoning their sweeties!

Hi Pete, ah....we're always moving into houses with rubbish kitchens. I'm allowed to play in them until they get done up. Whoa ho! Then I'd be sleeping in my workshop if I damaged the work top. I'd kick myself out!

Comment

How many would you like? I could probably make them for you I've got plenty lead or I could order some pewter in, price would really depend on how many you would need and the cost of the base metal.
                        Best regards
                        Will
                        Get the metal hot and make it dance http://www.phoenixforge.co.uk/

Comment

Please DO NOT use lead. Apart from being illegal, dice are handled and at most museum demonstrations hand washing after is the last thing on anyone's mind. These would be our children's brains you would be damaging.

Comment

Is there not an incredibly tiny portion of lead in most modern pewter, though?
                            www.darkflightsart.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-...63232150439256

Comment

Nope not a jot. It used to be half tin half lead but it's now a lot of tin and a bit ofantimony, copper or bismuth.
                              (I looked it up because I had zinc pinging round my brain....but forget zinc.....I don't know where that thought came from.)

Comment

Working...
                              X