Wooden shelf for a cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden shelf for a cage

I've been looking all over online for wooden shelves to fit hamster cages but not found a single one. I've also tried to look for custom made wooden items online but I've not been successful so was hoping someone here would be able to help or point me in the right direction. I'd have a go myself but I don't have the tools or the know how.

I basically want a corner shelf, with a curved front edge, that will fit a 80cm x 50cm wire cage with 10mm bar spacing that's light weight enough not to bend the bars. There are a few sellers on eBay that sell ones for Chinchilla cages but they are much too heavy. I have a small one that's 200mm x 140mm x 16mm in a cage with 7mm bar spacing but as it's so thick and heavy it tilts slightly and bends the bars.

I'm hoping that someone would be able to give me an estimate on how much it would cost to make and post. I may want two, one to fit a similar sized cage with 7mm bar spacing. I know a lot of hamster owners who would be interested in wooden shelves too, with similar cage sizes and bar spacing.

Thank you in advance! Hope the thread is OK and in the right place, haven't had much coffee today >.<
    Last edited by StarlightSerenity; 15-12-2012, 04:50 PM.

I've been looking for wooden storage cubes that could be modular window seats or could stack as mini towers to fit in odd corners (as we keep moving house, groan, groan, just done it again!). I want them with doors and shelves and drawers as I want to conceal stuff in them. Looked on the web - nothing.
    So I sympathise.
    Last time I hit this brick wall a friend put me onto her neighbour who was a cabinet maker nearing retirement. He made fancy wooden stuff but came up trumps when I drew him what I wanted (which was modern, simple looking, bookshelves and cupboards and filing cabinets. I wanted them to be the same sizes and be stackable. If anything he was cheaper than the shops and I'm still loving his stuff 10 years and 4 houses later.
    So I'd say put out a call for any retired or underworked cabinet maker living locally. The last bit because he was a one man band and I had to travel out to his workshop to pick my stuff up which was a bit of a pain as I am a weeney white haired old granny.

Comment

Ooo good idea! I'll ask around and see who I can find. I'd prefer to buy from someone local, certainly from a one man band place too. I'm not after anything fancy, just sturdy and long lasting. There are loads of plastic shelves I could get but they tend to cater for 6 year olds who love bright pink! They also tend to have holes going round the edges to fit ramps that are just the right size to trap little hamster legs.

Bet what he made you looks wonderful

Comment

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but was wondering if you ever get your little shelf ?? My husband is always making stuff for people, carports, shelving for shops etc, AmDrams needing scenery so I'm sure he'd be willing to help is necessary
        Last edited by Jenny R; 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM. Reason: Duplicated

Comment

Originally posted by StarlightSerenity View Post
          I've been looking all over online for wooden shelves to fit hamster cages but not found a single one. I've also tried to look for custom made wooden items online but I've not been successful so was hoping someone here would be able to help or point me in the right direction. I'd have a go myself but I don't have the tools or the know how.

I basically want a corner shelf, with a curved front edge, that will fit a 80cm x 50cm wire cage with 10mm bar spacing that's light weight enough not to bend the bars. There are a few sellers on eBay that sell ones for Chinchilla cages but they are much too heavy. I have a small one that's 200mm x 140mm x 16mm in a cage with 7mm bar spacing but as it's so thick and heavy it tilts slightly and bends the bars.

I'm hoping that someone would be able to give me an estimate on how much it would cost to make and post. I may want two, one to fit a similar sized cage with 7mm bar spacing. I know a lot of hamster owners who would be interested in wooden shelves too, with similar cage sizes and bar spacing.

Thank you in advance! Hope the thread is OK and in the right place, haven't had much coffee today >.<
          Hello. I'm new to this forum, but was wondering if you ever got your little shelf ?? My husband is always making stuff for people, carports, shelving for shops etc, AmDrams needing scenery so I'm sure he'd be willing to help if you're stuck - so just let me know

Comment

Hello, I am absolutely new to here, But as per my knowledge, i had bought a Mother of Pearl Lacquer Wooden Document Storage Box from the online store of Antiquealive. So i hope that if you could contact them then you might be able to get your desired product.

Thank you

Comment

Hi,

I make a lot of bespoke requests, and can sort this no problem. There's some shelving on my website but I change to bespoke requests

Dave
              Furniture Personalisation Without Limits!
              Personalised Toy Boxes - Personalised Lego Tables - Table Stands - Name Plates - Door Plates - Shelving - Personalised Garden Furniture & Bespoke Design
              www.littlewoodworkshop.co.uk - 01740 623048 / 07928 825903 - www.facebook.com/littlewoodworkshop @LWWorkshop

Comment

Hi there,
                I would have thought that a small sheet of hardboard would do the trick and you can easily cut any shape you like with a Stanley knife. You could cut it slightly bigger than needed to it poked through the bars and add notches so it stayed in place. Otherwise thick mount board from an art shop, I know the hamster would chew it but it would be easy and quick to replace and it may even entertain your little pet.
                I love to waste time crafting!
                I Want a Digital Cutter

Comment

Working...
                X