Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want an 'ID' card to prove self employment - petition link here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want an 'ID' card to prove self employment - petition link here!

Hi everyone,

I can't find the thread from a while ago, where there were discussions about the need for some type of ID card for self employed sole traders. I know a few people wrote to their MP's, as did I, sadly with no response.

However, it's an issue I feel very passinoate about, and I for one would be happy to show an ID card to fair organisers to prove I'm correctly registered to pay tax etc. I also feel a card would be useful for the public to check that anyone they were paying to do work on their home/car/garden etc etc was correctly registered, and not a cash in hand 'fly by night'.

So.... I've set up a petition on the Direct.gov website to campaign for such a card. Unfortunately, the petition needs to receive 100,000 votes to be discussed in parliament, but we've got 12 months to get there!!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/42909

If anyone would like to sign/share with others, it would be appreciated!!

Claire
    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

I think with the current issue of tax evasion now is probably a better time than ever to push for this. I know all the big companies are in the news but all the small 'hobby' and 'cash in hand' people out there must still cost the country a fortune.

I'll sign and also share it on my Facebook and Twitter (hopefully the few people I have following on each will then share it too).
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hi I have signed - I think it's well worth a try!
      Autumn Thyme

Comment

I wrote and got a very good reply both from my MP and the HMRC. Sadly whilst the MP thought it was a good idea the HMRC said would be too costly. Would have thought sending staff round to events to check for legal trading would have been more costly, even though they can check immediately on latest technology etc. So looks like down to us that are genuine business. I will sign the petition and as put in another post here is the link to shop those not declaring their earnings:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/reportingfraud/index.htm

Comment

I've signed it and "shared" on FB

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
            I've signed it and "shared" on FB

Jane
            Me too! Also will go share it in a couple of Etsy team chat threads as I think there might be interested people there too.
            Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
            etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

While the card sounds like a good idea, who is going to check it? Event organisers? Hardly HMRC because, as you say, they will use their database anyway not a card. I get your irritation and I feel exactly the same about the 'just a hobby'ists who are probably costing themselves money since they are not claiming the deductables. But I don't think some sort of card is the answer - we could all end up with an I pay income tax card to cart around...

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
                While the card sounds like a good idea, who is going to check it?
                Maybe event organisers with scruples who don't want to unwittingly have tax dodgers at their event? Or maybe householders who are looking for work to be done and want to make sure the tradesman is registered?

It would surely make it harder for these types of people to trade and maybe even encourage them to register like the rest of us have done in order to get more business.

Comment

I think it's a good idea. I've signed

Comment

Nattynetty, I get all the irritation, but your reason for having the card turns everyone into an HMRC investigator... then only a small step to 'oh you don't have a card I'm reporting you' I mean, all these event organisers require PL insurance yet I haven't had one actually ask to see my certificate..and all the faff about getting your lights PAT tested....too much big state and yet more interference from me (not to say that I'm not as irritated as everyone else about the non tax compliant - they're tax evaders, not avoiders but I don't think having cards is the answer. Maybe a few more spot checks on events from HMRC....Do they still do them, they used to)
                    it's all a bit ID cards

Comment

Nattynetty, I get all the irritation, but your reason for having the card turns everyone into an HMRC investigator...
                      Not really, it's hardly being a tax investigator by stipulating you'll only let a table or employ someone who is registered - if more people did this (and more importantly there was a way of proving you were legit) there'd be less need for investigators as those who weren't registered would be less inclined to put themselves in a position of being 'revealed' as cheating the system and people would be less likely to employ/let tables to them in the first place. No need to become an 'HMRC investigator' to do this.

I think it's a good idea but you're more that entitled to not support it, that's why we live in a democratic society after all

Comment

Well, event organisers can do that now, if they want to. But they don't. Just as they don't check PL certificates, PAT test stickers, etc etc even thought they stipulate them. They often let in aloe vera, those cards and the book pyramids too, plus importers of cheapo jewellery and wooden stuff

Comment

The events I have done this year have wanted sight of the pl insurance plus if using tools confirmation of pat testing. There are those that do ask and they are the good ones, those that don't should ring alarm bells as maybe they do not care who rents a stall. If it stops tax avoidance and more organisers are aware that a trading card is needed and ask for it (if issued) then it will start to get craft back to what it should be.

Think someone mentioned on here recently that they display on their stall that they are a bonafide business maybe genuine business's should start this trend at events and then the organisers who do not ask may cotton on. If they were also held responsible to ensure all where genuine business and they also could get fined again could all change.

The HMRC still do checks both at fairs and online not forgetting Etsy, Ebay, Folksy etc who now have to hand over names and address of those selling. I have been at a fair where a check was done and a few stallholders left very quickly with red faces. Do agree that the organisers need to start checks to maybe stop again one I did this year asked for my tax self employed reference.

Comment

I've no objection to HMRC or Trading Standards going around checking status and compliance - for example many jewellery stalls do not display the hallmark act notice but I think that weeding out the aloe veras, usbourne books bought in tat and stuff like that is a more urgent need for craft shows

Comment

I've no objection to HMRC or Trading Standards going around checking status and compliance - but I think that weeding out the aloe veras, usbourne books bought in tat and stuff like that is a more urgent need for craft shows
                              If the aloe veras and usbourne book sellers and sellers in tat are registered and paying their dues - why do they need more urgent action?
                              www.just-soaps.com
                              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                              FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
                              X