Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car expenses

hi
    i once found a really good thread on offsetting your car expenses and now i cant find it ! im basically only using a fraction of the running costs for my business ... how do i work this one out .. would appreciate any help, would i just write the mileage iv used to and from craft fairs ?

thanks
    diane
    Diane
    www.tailormade.etsy.com

I was always told to claim 40p a mile for tax purposes, that amount covered petrol, wear & tear etc.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I use the same as natty and record the mileage for each fair etc

cj
      www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
      Become a facebook fan
      Check out my blog

Comment

It's amazing how much it all adds when you start including those trips to the post office, popping into town to get more envelopes, a trip to PC world for that emergency ink cartridge (they always run out at the wrong time), visiting the bank to pay in cheques etc etc etc
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

thankyou all ... youve been really helpful

diane x
          Diane
          www.tailormade.etsy.com

Comment

there are 2 ways to claim tax relief on car expenses,
            the 40p a mile is the easiest
            the other option is a percentage of tax relief on all expenses so if your business use is 50% then you can claim 50% of all expenses and depreciation this way requires you to have all receipts for fuel and other expenses and is more time consuming but is if you have a lot of vehicle expenses then it's an option.

The only thing the tax office state is that whatever method you decide to use, you have to stick with that method until you change your vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by xavtia View Post
              there are 2 ways to claim tax relief on car expenses,
              the 40p a mile is the easiest
              the other option is a percentage of tax relief on all expenses so if your business use is 50% then you can claim 50% of all expenses and depreciation this way requires you to have all receipts for fuel and other expenses and is more time consuming but is if you have a lot of vehicle expenses then it's an option.

The only thing the tax office state is that whatever method you decide to use, you have to stick with that method until you change your vehicle.
              thankyou x
              Diane
              www.tailormade.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
              X