Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference)

Hi all,

I know I need to do self assessment tax return, but I've not received a UTR yet... so I can't. I was late in registering, but it totally left my brain about the 31Jan deadline *doh*

Do we think I should phone them? Or should I wait until they contact me? I'm still waiting on the Exemption form, which I asked for about a week ago. This is all very scary to me, but I know it needs to be done.

If you get accepted for exemption, do you still have to do the tax return? My guess is yes..?

Confused.

Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
    ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Tax returns due by 31st Jan are for tax year running April '07-April '08. If you registered after that date, I believe, you're not due to file a return until next year.

If you're unsure I'd certainly call the tax office though and get some advice from them. Don't leave it for them to contact you.
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

When did you register?You may not get or need a form if it was after April 2008.

The UTR should be on the top right hand corner of the sa form if I remember correctly.Its also displayed on the IR website when you sign up for the account.

Forgot to say you can only fill in online forms now,after the October paper form deadline.

Im exempt from some kind of tax(cant recall which as it was so long ago)but I had to fill a form in.

If you have a small business you need a self assesment (short) form too which can not be filled in online, but you can send a paper form until the January deadline.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
        Tax returns due by 31st Jan are for tax year running April '07-April '08. If you registered after that date, I believe, you're not due to file a return until next year.

If you're unsure I'd certainly call the tax office though and get some advice from them. Don't leave it for them to contact you.
        Weeelll... in that case, I hope I don't need to file then. lol. I didn't register until the start of this month, having started the business (a few market stalls) in October - December.

Thanks for that. I'll call them to be on the safe side, but fingers crossed I don't need to do anything yet. I've not even heard anything from them since I registered, so right now I think it's in the lap of the gods.

I should be exempt from class2 National Insurance payments, as I don't expect my 'earnings' to be a great deal from this. Still waiting on the form though. I guess HMRC takes their time, eh?

Thanks guys!
        Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
        ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.Best to phone them but from the sounds of it you wont need any forms til april.
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel-Carlyle View Post
            Weeelll... in that case, I hope I don't need to file then. lol. I didn't register until the start of this month, having started the business (a few market stalls) in October - December.
            So (if I'm right) you should get paperwork through after April 2009 for your first tax return which will run from October 2008 to 5th April 2009... the paper form will be due in by October 2009 or an online application by 31st January 2010. It'll come round quicker than you realise!
            Wood Tattoos
            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
            Facebook
            Flickr
            Twitter

Comment

UTR taxes

when is the last day to calculate my UTR and how can i do this? exist the workshops ? i'm self employed.thanks!

Comment

Hi Rachel

The previous posts are correct in that you won't need to complete a self assessment tax return until Jan 2010 (if you do it online, otherwise Oct), so don't worry plenty of time.

I assume by your exemption, you mean your Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NIC), which is your personal NIC? You can get exemptions for paying this if you expect to have low income from your self employment (£4825 pa at the mo). You still need to fill out your tax return I am afraid.

Remember that your income for the self employed is your profit (or loss!) ie, your sales less any expenses incurred (there are rules around this that will be in your tax return form). So you only pay tax on your profits. Also, everyone has a personal allowance which means that you only pay tax on the amounts above your personal allowance (currently £6035 if you are below age 65). If you make a loss one year, you can use that in another year that you make a profit - always handy to know!

I rambled didn't i !!! I am a self-employed bookkeeper as well as doing my jewellery so i thought i would just let you know that info in case it was useful

Good luck
                Joanna
                Joanna Marie Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                X