Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft workshop run from home

Hi to all of you out there
    Has anyone have expert advice on how to set up a craft/hobby workshop or courses from home.If anyone has already done this i would apprieciate some advice on what to do and don't.
    Thank you and god bless
    Ms

to the forum although I cant help with your particular Q

Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

If you intend having members of the public coming to your home, you will need to have 'Public liability Insurance' incase they have an accident or injury at your home.

You would need to check whether there are any 'covenants' on your property preventing the use of the house for anything other than as your own private dwelling. If your property if mortgaged there may also be clauses there too.

These are just off the top of my head, depending on what you're intending to do there may be other things

Debbie
      www.beadservice.net
      On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Craft workshop

Dear Debbie
        Thank you very much for taking your time answering my questions.my intentions with my business idea is to run the craft workshops from my house which is detached and has big gardens situated in the country.my first step is to build a workshop in the garden and utilize that for students work place.I am intending to run some of the classes myself and others run by other artists.I myself have two degrees but in completely different field and now that i have decided to work from home since i have a small child,i am turning my art and craft skills which i have learnt in the last 20 years into business.
        My question is in order to do that, do i have to have qualifications or can i just start sharing my interests with others and at the same time run a business.
        I am quite good at my craft skills and have done many succesful projects,but i don't know how it will work in the real world when people pay you for learning your skills,or do they expect college or university qualifications.
        If i in the future organise residential courses,which means that student can stay in the house( two spare double bedroom) while doing the courses
        type B&B service,What do i need to bear in mind?prons and cons?
        I apprieciate if you could advice me on that if possible.
        Thank you very much and i am really looking forward to your reply.
        Regards
        Moji

Comment

Hi Moji

You don't require any special qualifications to run craft courses, after all you're doing workshops and sharing skills, not offering your students a qualification. Even so, you could offer a certificate of attendance and achievement if you wanted. But I imagine, many attending would see these courses as social and for pleasure. I imagine most people running courses, would join relevant associations which you can can say you're a member of to give credibility. But there are no legalities on running the courses.

The only other things I can think in addtion, is 'planning permission' for use of your home or garden workshop for business use, and you'd need to register as 'self employed' with the Inland Revenue to declare the income.

I'd suggest talking to 'business link' they have offices in most towns, and give free business advice.

Hope this helps for starters, and it sounds a lovely idea.

Debbie
          www.beadservice.net
          On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Craft classes for age 5 to 11

Hi

I need some advice on starting craft classes for children.

1) what are the legal requirements
            2) Do you know any places where it would be ideal to start the classes with low overheads.
            3) Would I get a response during term time or should I hold it during holiday?
            4) I want to teach cross-stitch, card making and gift wrapping - would that suit children of this age?
            5) What should I charge? per hour ? or per session?
            6) If I get permission to start from home - which would be more productive - from home or from a premises?

Thanks

Zak

Comment

Originally posted by Needlecraft and Beads View Post
              Hi

I need some advice on starting craft classes for children.

1) what are the legal requirements
              2) Do you know any places where it would be ideal to start the classes with low overheads.
              3) Would I get a response during term time or should I hold it during holiday?
              4) I want to teach cross-stitch, card making and gift wrapping - would that suit children of this age?
              5) What should I charge? per hour ? or per session?
              6) If I get permission to start from home - which would be more productive - from home or from a premises?

Thanks

Zak
              1) Basic requirement would be a CRB check before you look even further into requirements.
              2) Renting a room in a local school or village hall perhaps
              3) Try some market research
              4) Don't know as you haven't actually said what age you're looking at.
              5) Again market research - what are other companies/colleges charging.
              6) I'd be very dubious sending my child to someones home who I didn't know.
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks
                I would be teaching 5 to 11 yr olds.
                I was searching on google for CRB checks and it says only organisations can apply for it. Individuals should go to through them .
                But I want to start on my own so who would do the checks?

Comment

if you are advertising the fact that you are working from home, technically, you also need to contact your local authority, have them come to your home and decide how much of your property you need to pay council tax for, and how much you need to pay business rates for. it's a whole can of worms you may not want to open to be honest.

if you want to start classes, i'd look at renting space, village hall, local school etc.
                  lucykate crafts... blog

lucykate crafts... on etsy

Comment

Thanks, probably best to hire a hall maybe. Someone suggested after school classes, but I may get only £ 8 to £10 per hour.

Comment

If it helps, my Daughter-in-law teaches crafts to children and travels to schools and local authority venues, never at home. She also has a yurt which is very easy to assemble and fits into the Landrover easily. Fitted with solar electricity. She does this more or less full time and my son helps in the holidays and weekends. Neither have degrees, just a love of crafting, mostly outdoor crafts. It is quite well paid too I believe.
                      Carol
                      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

after reading the post i though of a hall to lol..

I would suggest and agree to get like a few hours in a community centre as they are always wanting to make money and do charge very little... they have all table for you... All chairs and all the correct insurance documents so really alls you need to do is pay them the small fee and get on making some real money..

Best regards
                        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Occasion Creative View Post
                          after reading the post i though of a hall to lol..

I would suggest and agree to get like a few hours in a community centre as they are always wanting to make money and do charge very little... they have all table for you... All chairs and all the correct insurance documents so really alls you need to do is pay them the small fee and get on making some real money..

Best regards
                          Michael
                          I'm fairly positive that you would still need your own liability insurance rather than being covered by any policies held by the hall... you wouldn't automatically be covered just for being inside a hall or community centre surely?
                          Wood Tattoos
                          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                          Facebook
                          Flickr
                          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                            I'm fairly positive that you would still need your own liability insurance rather than being covered by any policies held by the hall... you wouldn't automatically be covered just for being inside a hall or community centre surely?
                            Yep that's what I've been led to believe too, plus don't forget your CRB check - that's absolutely vital for anyone working with children.
                            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

A would say a CRB check is a must..

I used to be a DJ in Newcastle well all over Cyprus including but instead of bragging i will say lol

I was a DJ and some places where we went to perform told us that if any of our gear got damaged we were covered under the clubs insurance ?? i know its different but is on the same tracks..

I'm sure a community centre will have fully comp on an insurance which will cover functions and meetings... You maybe have to pay some extra to use there insurance but i don't really know..

I do agree though that you might have to get your own but it is a good idea to start phoning around

regards

Comment

Working...
                              X