advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advertisement

hiya everyone, please can somebody give me some tips on advertising my business? I have a website called 'zukiestyle' but havnt managed to sell anything off it yet! I'm also with tuggle.

i design and make handmade handbags and as i'm sure most people do, i would like to do it fulltime!!!

many thanks

dee
    Dee x
    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Hi Dee,
    I think this is a question every person with a website asks. It's a hard slog to get noticed on the web as there are so many other sites on it. When your site was developed were you given any advice about Search Engine Optimization (SEO)? It's basically tuning your website with tags and content so that search engines will begin to trawl it and begin to index it for inclusion onto their search engines. I am no expert..thankfully I have a web developer as my OH so he deals with all of that stuff for me, but it is a constant battle to keep on the top of searches and getting people to come onto the site. A good way of interesting people in visiting is starting a blog, Use somewhere like Blogger to get started and it's free and pretty easy to do (I did it so it must be!!) It can have interesting items on it about your process for making Bags etc and have links to you site to buy your products.
    As I have said I am no expert but hopefully someone who is will come along and this thread will be bumped for them to see!!
    Good luck
    Anice xx
    Funkyhand x
    my website
    http://www.funkyhand.com
    my blog (updated 09/06/10)
    http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter
    http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Hiya

I'd agree with Anice / Funkyhand. Get a blog going and make sure you post on lots of other people's blogs because people generally click on the comments and you will get hits that way.

I'd also consider opening a Flickr account as that's free advertising and people can then view your work and then click on your website link.

Join lots of forums like this and post regularly, people love to be nosey and view other people's sites and blogs.

Other than that, you might want to consider going down the Google Adwords route if you're just not getting hits on your own website. If you set a minimum amount each month (I don't think you have to sign up for a minimum period) of say £30 (or £1 a day) just to start getting traffic through - I'm not sure how much your bags sell for, but you'd probably only need 1 or 2 sales a month to get your money back.

Hope that gives you a few more ideas

Sarah x
      Sarah
      For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

Hi Dee,

Where are you from and do you ever attend craft/gift fairs or events??

Best Wishes,

Lindsay

Comment

Hi,

I found your website and I love the look of it. Very individual

With regards to advertising, attracting visitors I think some good tips have already been raised.

In particular make sure you have meta tags in place and maybe add a better description with keywords on the home page so the google spiders etc pick it up and index it. If this is done to its maximum potential you may never need to invest in adwords as it can be an expensive hobby, believe me I know lol

As said before, get yourself seen forums, blogs, business directories, make sure your site is submitted to the main search engines. If you sell on ebay, etsy make sure all sales have a slip pointing you to your website. If you sell on ebay be sneaky and add your web addy on your 'about me' page.

Just a little pointer and its my personal opinion - your bags are great but I felt that the photos could possibly have a bit more work done on them.

I hope this helps and good luck I hope you will be able to give up the 9-5 soon
          Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

I honestly think that "Off Line" advertising is just as important, if not more so, than online.

Most of the big Craft Companies do a lot of online advertising but you will still see them at the NEC, SECC, Exeter etc etc... selling a few goods but more importantly promoting their websites.

If someone sees you at a CRaft Show, talks to you and hopefully buys one of your items (which will obviously have an information tag on it)...then they are highly likely to remember you when either they or even one of their friends wants to buy the item again... there is nothing like the personal approach
            Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
            No Membership just visit & Browse
            Craftville.com

Comment

many thanks!

wow!!!thankyou for you replys guys, that means alot. i shall try all of what you have suggested, to lindsay at fairs r us, i am based in leicester but regularly visit lincoln.
              i am definetly going to attend more of the larger fairs this year, and this year will be the year for me!hee hee! unfortunetly i only managed one last year, but my business is only still a baby!

re: photos to fraggles, how do you think i could improve my pics? do you think its how they are taken or maybe they need some effects i.e photoshop?

The blog sounds interesting i had never thought of that before, thankyou i will keep you all updated as to how it goes!

good luck in 2008 everyone!x
              Dee x

Comment

Hi Dee
                I think your website is great, I like the background image. I think your photos are perfectly adequate. If you wanted to improve them, I would (i) improve the lighting - which can either be done in photoshop if you have it (move the curves) or buy a lightbox - cheap light tents can be bought on ebay for under a tenner and (ii) show some more close up details. Just a suggestion - I honestly think they're fine, and I want ALL of those bags!!

There is a website called craftjuice (you can google it) which people submit new items to, for others opinions, and I have found a little jump in my website numbers each time.
                Good luck!
                www.truebloom.blogspot.com
                www.truebloom.co.uk
                My Etsy Shop

Comment

Originally posted by dee_liteful View Post

re: photos to fraggles, how do you think i could improve my pics? do you think its how they are taken or maybe they need some effects i.e photoshop?
                  hiya,

I really liked the way they were presented I think someone mentioned before they could do with brightening up a bit so the detail can be seen. You can do that in photoshop (which is what I do) or you can prey for a sunny day lol

It was trial and error when I started selling, once I found a good way of presenting my photos sales went up by a fair bit. I always think to myself that the buyer is taking a leap of faith. Whether purchasing a bag or a piece of jewellery the more information they have and the better the picture - the more likely they are to buy it.

Keep us updated on your progress fingers crossed for that elusive sale
                  Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

have you try facebook?

my friend uses facebook and send out notice to her friends and networks about all her new products... she said the feedback is pretty good.
                    Unique Handmade Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by TYP View Post

There is a website called craftjuice (you can google it) which people submit new items to, for others opinions, and I have found a little jump in my website numbers each time.
                      Good luck!

Glad you like craftjuice

Of course you can advertise on our directory www.ukcraftwebsites.co.uk and on www.craftjuice.com (free to ad stuff but you can sponsor the site) oh and the forums too

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                      (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

great feedback!!!

thankyou, i think i will try the lightbox idea. Glad you like the site TYP! I am currently using my day off to get some more clutch bags on site. I need more as i think the site is a bit empty- its just getting the time to do it! I will also try photoshop as i know there are lots of techniques to use.

Thankyou for everyones help, i will keep you all updated on my progress!!

Dee x

Comment

Another thing you could try is article marketing. It builds up your sites link popularity (which helps give a wee boost in search engine rankings as well as in your PR) and it also helps one build trust with customers.

It's free to do also, you simply write articles and submit them to article directories. Your authors bio has a link back to your website. There are literally thousands of article directories you can submit to, and programs that make the job easier.

I coded a program myself that lets me submit to 200 directories, automatically, it basically does the copying and pasting for me so all I have to do is hit submit at each directory. If you'd like a copy of the program, PM me (no cost of course, but it is not Vista compatible, only 95, 98 and XP), if you wish to give article marketing a try.

Another thing you can do is provide helpful information on PDF format and give it to a few people. Before long, if your information is any good, it will be passed along to others. Your PDF file of course also has a link in it.

I did this myself several years ago, the few PDF files I made are now being shared on more than 25,000 websites (each file grants redistribution rights, it's called viral marketing).

Open office lets you create free PDF files without the need to purchase the expensive Adobe program.

I hope this helps you a bit also, and good luck with your website!
                          Craftlets ~ Quality craft projects that take less than one hour to complete. Free classifieds for crafters.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftlets View Post
                            I coded a program myself that lets me submit to 200 directories, automatically, it basically does the copying and pasting for me so all I have to do is hit submit at each directory. If you'd like a copy of the program, PM me (no cost of course, but it is not Vista compatible, only 95, 98 and XP), if you wish to give article marketing a try.
                            This is not a good idea as many site will ban you for using auto submitter and its oftern in the T&C's

There is not such thing as a free lunch.. You have to either pay or work hard you know!

Articles submission its not great anymore.. It been spam to hell and back and the last place you want to be linked with is a bad neighborhood sites..

All the above is in my opinion..

Its like spamming forums !

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I don't know whether this is right, or, not but I heard, recently, that the more links you have to your site, the higher up you'll come in the search engine rankings. I understood it to mean that if (for example) lots of my friends put a link to my site, on their site, my site would benefit from it.
                              If this is the case, would it be possible for us to agree to have a page (on our own sites) where we put links to each others sites? In that way, we should all benefit.
                              Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Working...
                              X