Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with business name for my daughters etsy shop

hi
    my daughter (14) is currently doing gcse textiles, she has decided she's like to be a designer/maker - possibly making cushions and home accessories
    she is really quite good even if i do say so myself, and ive finally decided she can open an etsy shop with my help/supervision
    so shes decided what shes going to make, chosen a premade logo but she now has to think of a name before i can commission it for her .. and, we're totally stuck!
    she'd originally set her heart on *button and moon* as she uses a lot of buttons in her work, and headed her business plan with the name .. bless her, but i thought to check if anyone trading under that name, and yes someone making lampshades and cushions has already bagged it lol
    she loves anything french or paris themed as she is part french and i suggested *demoiselle fleur* with tag line describing what she makes but she s not sure, here is list of things she makes just need someting catchy so she can start selling on etsy!

* monogram button cushions
    * monogram button pictures (framed and canvases)
    * linen/fabric bunting also cake buting, cupcake flags
    * small fabric pouches, purses, make up bags, pencil cases
    * fabric brooches/corsages
    * hand stamped jewellery

sounds like a wide range of products but she kind of themes them and it works - she loves working with buttons, doileys, free motion embroidery

any ideas would be gratefully received x
    blooms & bows - hand made boutique accessories for the tiniest princess to the trendiest mum!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...23549057752787

Heres wishing her all the luck in the world. Love to hear about youngsters striking out like this.

Home Maiden Crafts
    Mini Maiden Crafts
    Little Miss Makes
    Moon Magic Crafts
    Button Beauty
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

aww thanks critchley .. love *little miss makes* kind of ties in with stuff she makes too .. lots things for girls bedrooms (she has 4 younger cousins!) hair accessories and brooches, will let her choose though x
      blooms & bows - hand made boutique accessories for the tiniest princess to the trendiest mum!

Comment

I notice you've got a link to a FB page called blooms & bows - is this your daughter's business or a different project? If it's the same, why not call your site the same? It's always a good idea to keep the same name going to help create a firm business identity or branding as they call it. If it's a different project, why not call it something like "Kirsty's Handmade Gifts" (obviously changing the name Kirsty to your daughter's name) or something similar. Again sites that state the person's first name make it much more personalised which is a great plus for this type of work.

Les at idguk.co.uk

Comment

She might have to wait a couple of years to use etsy I believe you have to be aged 18years or it certiantly did say that at some point I think it's due to entering into a contract, and the legalities same with ebay and other selling sites.

But I hope she continues to design /make and then finally manages to set up shop
          So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

thank you for suggesting same business name, blooms and bows was small project i had ages ago must delete the link!
            have looked into etsy and the age thing, its fine as long as i *manage* the account, i guess it will be my card tied to the account for fees etc
            i know what you mean so many projects, so little time .. its half the fun though isnt, looking for the next craft to do, lol

Comment

I like Little Miss Makes too, good luck with her venture. I loved me GCSE textiles and it is thanks to my textiles teacher that I continued to sew. I loved everything about it from the coursework to the final project (crosstitch dog for me!) great news that she is interested in starting her own business so early.

Look forward to seeing her products
              Dee x
              Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
              Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
              Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

What is her logo? It might help with branding to link the logo with the business name. Make sure it doesn't sound too childish as the business may (hopefully) take off and grow with her.

I like the buttons, blooms & bows suggestion. Alliteration is really helful in sales and marketing, people seem to like it for some reason.

Comment

Good luck to your daughter! I'm sad to hear button and moon is taken, that's a pretty name, memorable and simple too. I love her name Fleur though, so how about Button and Fleur?

I like the 'X and X' idea as it's cute but not childish, and I'd remember it and wouldn't have trouble spelling it. It would also come up in the search engines after typing it in. And it describes the items broadly

Good luck to her!
                  Coryographies on Etsy (bookshelf, tea, and sushi jewellery)
                  Coryographies' Blog (Join the free giveaway!)
                  Coryographies on Facebook
                  Twitter: @Coryographies
                  If you'd like to swap shop banners to advertise on each others' sites please message me

Comment

If she likes Harry Potter she could play on the name Fleur Delacour (Fleur Weasley before she married).

Fleur de la Coeur

It is a bit grown up and sort of describes handmade, from the heart! But I am useless at such stuff...
                    Do not watch this space

Comment

Since she like the button and moon name and Paris/France why not

Bouton et lune

French for button and moon!

Isabel

Comment

The only problem with French names might be that people have trouble spelling it - lots won't of course, but if you want the name to be as accessable as possible, then something that's easy to pronounce and spell is best
                        Coryographies on Etsy (bookshelf, tea, and sushi jewellery)
                        Coryographies' Blog (Join the free giveaway!)
                        Coryographies on Facebook
                        Twitter: @Coryographies
                        If you'd like to swap shop banners to advertise on each others' sites please message me

Comment

See, I told you I was no good... I led Isabel astray too
                          Do not watch this space

Comment

hi
                            thanks for all your suggestions, some really cute ideas .. i agree she shouldnt pick something too childish

whilst we've been snowed in we've had bit of brain storming session, i thought she was possibly trying to do too much in one go .. i asked her to pick what she enjoyed making most and try and concentrate on 2 main products plus few items she could make to use up her scraps and which she could as sell as lost leaders and as cheaper line for school fetes etc as obviously with monogrammed items she would only be able to take orders not sell on the day

she has decided to make monogram cushions and framed pictured using buttons, then use the scraps to make simple hair accessories, clip purses, keyrings etc accented with buttons .. think thats a best way to start off, otherwise will become overwhelming - she can then add to her range as she starts to make a profit and learns new techniques .

namewise we decided it would be *button + ? * her logo is quite modern, has 3 buttons and the name will go underneath - we loved *button and boo* as boo has been a nickname for various family members passed down through the years, thought would be nice sentimenal touch .. had google search, no businesses as far as we can see but there is an etsy shop with that name, althouh doesnt appear to have made a sale since 2010 so possible not in use .

i dont know where we stand really, perhaps she could run it as button and boo and stick uk on the end of her etsy shop name? i know businesses are allowed to have to same name in not on top of each other, there are 100's of fleur de lys florists, and garden of eden beauty salons but not sure how it works online.

alternatively we thought *button + blue* she once had a dog called blue she was very fond of, decisions, decisions ...

i love the fact she is interested in starting a small business, and would like to support her as much as possible - no doubt there will be times when she's busy so******ing and of course studyng for exams etc so for the moment we have decided to make it a joint venture, i will take over when necessary but she will have the main input x
                            Last edited by fleursmummy; 21-01-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X