product range on website?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• product range on website?!?!

can anyone help...im in a bit of a pickle...
    Im wanting to branch out what i sell on my website, at the minute its all luxury hand made greetings cards, but i have started painting canvases and making cushions. I want to start designing wedding invitations, place nemes, menu cards, table plans etc...i want to try and keep it all on one website...do you think this too much for one website. or should split it up over 2 or 3!

your thoughts would be much appriciated...

thanks

Rach xxx
    Funky jewellery & Luxury handmade greetings cards www.sunbatheintheshade.com

Didn't want you to think that no one was reading your post but i really don't know the answer to your question (not what you wanted to hear i know). If i was a customer though i suppose it would be nice to see anything wedding related in one place then anything else in another if that makes sense, but in doing that you'd have to try and get you new site known............although thinking about it you could always link them.
    Emma
    Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
    Sassy Crafts Blog
    My Blog

Comment

Hi Rach

Not too sure what to suggest. As you said you could have them on separate websites but that means cost of new domain, hosting, website design and then getting the sites into the search engines.

If you put them on your existing site then they could be put into different categories, much like sections within a department store. It doesn't do Debenhams any harm, it could work for you.

Ruby
      Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
      Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
      Facebook Page

Comment

I think what I would do is to have another section on your original website - that way you don't have to think about setting up another website and it will be within your original website so people will be able to find it easily. Also not to be negative but if it doesn't work out then you can simply remove the section and not be out of pocket. If it does take off then you can decide if you need/want a different site.
        HTH
        Lynsey
        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I agree with Lynsey, keep all the greetings cards and wedding things together and then have a separate gallery section say that you can showcase your canvasas.

Not much but hope it helps.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

You could subdomain it all under one website - e.g. weddings.mysite.com; gallery.mysite.com; cards.mysite.com

And then have a central page as well at www.mysite.com with links to the others. All on the same domain, so no extra hosting costs or anything like that, and you could tailor your adverts (if you have any) depending on the target audience to the site that you want.
            It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Hi Rach,

I think it would be fine to have it all on one website, just in different sections. many websites do this. That way a customer who is looking at greeting cards may fancy browsing through your site to see what goodies you have and think "wow that painting is amazing, i think i'll but that too"!

Hope it helps...

GL with it all..x

btw, i love your cards!
              Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I agree with Lisa and Lynsey!

I think its also nice to see what other things people make as then you can buy a range of things from one person (and maybe save on post & packing?)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!

Comment

It depends how you want to promote your website, and/or your brand.
                  As I have to look at it as if it were my business - I would open two sites.
                  However, one site would point to the other & vice-versa.

If you kept it all on one site how would you promote yourself? card maker, artist or cushion supplier?

BTW: your site looks great.

regards
                  James.

note: is it OK to send you a PM?
                  Doing nothing is harder than it looks!
                  Free Classifieds

Comment

thanks for all your comments, its tricky one isnt it!
                    im not sure how well cushions and canvas's would even sell online!
                    i take it PM means personal message? feel free to contact me!

ill keep you posted if i come up with an answer to my problem!

thanks guys
                    rach x
                    Funky jewellery & Luxury handmade greetings cards www.sunbatheintheshade.com

Comment

When I started out selling on the web I had a bead store. Over time I introduced my jewellery onto the same store front and also tiaras, it never felt quite right for me. The two things were too closely related and because many directories will only allow you to advertise free with one site it was difficult to promote both sides.

In may this year i finally took the plunge and began a new site just for the handmade stuff leaving the beads on the original site. Things are working a lot clearer for me know. It is easier to promote the sites independantly. I still link between sites and promote them from each other both they have seperate names, domains etc.
                      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                        In may this year i finally took the plunge and began a new site just for the handmade stuff leaving the beads on the original site. Things are working a lot clearer for me know. It is easier to promote the sites independantly. I still link between sites and promote them from each other both they have seperate names, domains etc.
                        Hello BBD,
                        Out of interest - does a lot of traffic pass between the sites? (one to the other)

regards
                        James.

sunbatheintheshade - PM sent.
                        Free Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by GEM View Post
                          Hello BBD,
                          Out of interest - does a lot of traffic pass between the sites? (one to the other)

yes... I thing people are inquisitive beasts!
                          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                            yes... I think people are inquisitive beasts!
                            They are indeed.

When traffic moves between sites it can sometimes be a sign that they did not find what they wanted at site no1, so moved away to another site, or were reluctant to make a purchase.
                            This sometimes makes no difference as the second site they move to is also yours and you could still generate a sale if they find something that they like, however this is less likely as it wouldn't be what they were originally looking for.

I would link the two sites together for sure (helps with search engines/keywords etc etc) - but in such a way that traffic between the two is reduced (ie make the link harder to find) so they stay on site no1 and make a purchase. Make it as simple as possible to get them to the payment section with lots of "Pay here and receive your [item name] tomorrow", then only if they really want to leave they can go hunting for exit sites.

James.
                            Free Classifieds

Comment

Working...
                            X