Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Name Opinion?

Hi!
    I am planning on selling a range of mens and womens cards this year, and after making a whole list of possible names, I've come up with 'Führn', because I wanted a random nonsense word that wasn't gender-specific, that looked cool and ...I'm called Fern lol
    I googled it and the only match was a little place in Germany.

So what do you think?
    Thanks for any opinons :-)

Find what you want to do and then do it with all your heart.

love the sound of it.
    if you are having a web site, then it would be far easier to have a spelling that was straightforward.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks!
      Would you know to pronounce it like Fern though?

Any more crit? All opinions welcome :-)

Comment

I think it sounds too German and could be mispelt (where does the 'h' goes, etc), I don't know where I'd find the 'u' on my keyboard for instance (well I know it's one of the symbol, but...)
        Anyway IMO keep it simple and uncomplicated, and back to the drawing board...?
        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Honestly? My first thought was Hitler (Fuhrer) when I read it! Sorry!
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cultur...75?ref=tn_tnmn
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/cultureoddyssey

Comment

How about:
            Phern?
            Phurn?
            Pfern?
            Pfurn?

Vik

Oh, don't call it Vik, that's my name lol
            Oakdale Studios Facebook
            Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
            bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Oh, sorry, good luck with your venture.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook
              Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
              bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

It may depend on your target market and your competition.

If you intend to sell on the web, it is important to have a name that will send your customer to you easily.

ie Crawley Kitchens ...you live in Crawley and sell kitchens. so if a crawley person was looking for a kitchen they might type in kitchens crawley and the website would match so pop up higher in the search. if you called it hobsons choice it may appear way down the seach and you would not be found as most people do not go past page 1 in on spec searches.

Unusual names will crop up in natural listings on searches, but only if someone knows how to spell it or what you are called.

If not going for web sites, then maybe "Fern" rather than the german.

Only my opinion and any reference to particular kitchen shops were ficticiuos nor hurt in this post
                If you dont have a go ................... you will never know

https://www.facebook.com/HatPiece

www.HatPiece.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Culture Oddyssey, my first thought was also fuhrer. I didn't read it as 'Fern' either, sorry.

Names can be tricky, it's easy to over-analyse. I was worried about choosing Happywrap as I thought it may remind people of Happyslap! (remember that horrible trend?)

What kind of theme do you have? Are your cards quirky, traditional, minimalist? Maybe you could show us a pic for some brainstorming?
                  Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

Originally posted by Culture Oddyssey View Post
                    Me too I'm afraid...

Comment

I can see where you are coming from but I fear I must agree with the majority. How about something like "Fernatic Cards" or "Ferntastic Cards" There are lots of play you can do on your name.
                      Carol
                      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

lol yeh thats what i thought too.

Have you looked at something a bit more along the lines of uni-sex domains?

Maybe something like:

CadeCards?

Reason:
                        Cade is a uni-sex childs name
                        Cards - Tells the person what the key aspect of the site is.

Put it together and you get the message "unisex cards" suttly anyway.

Theres plenty of other unisex names out that which might suit better to your style of craft / cards so its always worth a look. When looking at domains - use their "generator tools" normally comes up with some pretty decent suggestions for you.
                        Craft Supplies Website: Trysordy Crafts

Top Yarns of the Month
                        Gedifra
                        Adriafil
                        Anchor Style

Comment

Originally posted by Culture Oddyssey View Post
                          Same for me!
                          I like the idea of a quirky name but as others have said, I think it needs to be simpler spelling than what you've mentioned.

I like the play on your name though - makes it connected to you personally.

Kim
                          Handmade Jewellery - www.kiandesigns.co.uk
                          Facebook
                          Twitter

Comment

Good ones!
                            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cultur...75?ref=tn_tnmn
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/cultureoddyssey

Comment

lol I definitely don't want a Hitler reference!
                              I think I'll try and think of a name which includes the word 'cards'.
                              I'm into branding so the name is v. important to me. I think a uni-sex name is a lot harder to think of than one which is focussed more on women because you can go for 'pretty' names then.
                              I don't really want Fern used as it is though either. Hmmmm....lots of thinking to do.....

Comment

Working...
                              X