• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ladygoldragon
    Moderate crafter
    • Sep 2011

Were to start

Hi have been making jewellery for a few years now just as a hobby ok sold one or two piece friends have asked for and now have been asked if I could do some partys. I'm up for it but want to do it right a little scary but money is tight. Have looked at business cards on vista print and found a design I really like with quite a lot of matching items is it worth up gradeing the card or not plus do you think I could do a couple of party's before I tell the tax man
  • soyofthenorth
    500+ Crafters Club
    • May 2011

If you even do just one party, you have to inform the tax man.
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

• AliCat
      Super mega big crafter
      • Jul 2009

Nope - you need to register now as if you have already sold to friends, you should be registered and be keeping receipts so that you can do a return at the end of the year. HMRC are really clamping down and it is just not worth taking the risk. There is nothing to be scared of, they are really very helpful and they also run courses to advise new businesses (which is what you are as soon as you sell something). Just give them a call and they will tell you exactly what is needed.

Chances are you will make a loss in your first year (or more) so if you are also employed, you may end up with a tax rebate. Make sure you keep a record of everything you spend on your crafting (i.e. raw materials, business cards, etc) as these are expenses which you can use to calculate your profit/loss at the end of the year.

VistaPrint are very good to get your marketing materials from but be careful with the prices as there will be VAT and delivery charges on top which soon add up so don't get carried away with ordering too much until you need them - in the early days it is very easy to let your expenses get out of hand.

Good luck with your parties and to the forum.
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• Ladygoldragon
        Moderate crafter
        • Sep 2011

Ok thanks the pieces I sold where just penny profits so I didn't think anything of it. Have got some free item codes so just postage to pay on vista but was thinking of upgrading on the card stock as had heard it was a bit flimsy on the free one but not sure if it's worth it

Comment

• AliCat
          Super mega big crafter
          • Jul 2009

The free ones are absolutely fine - I use them all the time but the postage can add up. Most of the things I order from VistaPrint are either freebies or special offers and I have never been disappointed by the quality.
          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
          Follow me on Twitter:
          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• Ladygoldragon
            Moderate crafter
            • Sep 2011

Ok will go for them as soon as I get paid at the end of the month now just got to work out the boxes have seen some that will work same colour as the cards but thought about 20 or so in 3 or 4 different sizes would work but came to just over hundred pounds with vat and postage then there some display items to get coming to a lot more than I thought. Feeling a little overwhelmed with it all

Comment

• lillylines
              100+ crafts club
              • Sep 2011

Can't you make the boxes as I have seen a way of doing them somewhere on the net, as you dont want to go spending too much otherwise you're going to end up loosing on it all!
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChillOutChic
              http://folksy.com/shops/Amberlilly

Comment

• tiffi_333
                So much more than a moderate crafter
                • Aug 2011

Since its jewelry, couldnt you also use those nice little bags to put them in? you can get really good deals on them, and alot have nice colours and oriental designs on them as well. you could easily put what youve made as well as a card in them...Ive used them when I gifted jewelry and people loved the way they looked. It might not protect against as much damage as boxes can, but Im sure you're careful with your own handmade stuff.

Comment

• Ladygoldragon
                  Moderate crafter
                  • Sep 2011

I could make the boxes I have done it in the past but to do a lot will take a long time plus I only got one size template with is fine for earrings and small pieces but not for large chunky gemstone pieces. I have ordered some bags in the past to use for presents but as i'm now using sterling silver think boxes would be better plus it only works out at about 50 pence more for the larges box

Comment

• Welsh Dragon
                    Junior crafter
                    • Sep 2011

Hi
                    I currently use vista print for my business cards and find them to be good quality - even the free ones. As money is often tight when you first start up selling - have you considered printing a small flyer advertising your availability to run future parties and perhaps a couple of featured items in addition to your contact details. IThese are quite easy and relatively quick to produce and if you run out you just run off a few more. If you are after display stands consider purchasing jewellery stands etc at Car Boot Sales. And if you have a Dunhill Mill or similar type outlet you can get cheap end of roll fabric to use as table covers. Again to keep your initial costs down have you considered using Organza drawstring bags - you can pick these up relatively cheap on Ebay. I also use Cello bags in smaller sizes for items like childrens necklaces - you can jazz them up a little by applying a little curling ribbon pulled over the back of a pair of scissors. I explain to my customers that I like to keep my costs down and pass on the savings to them - I hold a couple of different size jewellery boxes which I charge a minimum fee if they want one. And dont pass up the opportunity to hold a raffle - I use my own produced pieces as prizes - this can add a nice bit of income to your night and it provides a chance for somebody to have an item they might not have bought for themselves. Hope you do well

Comment

• The Bead Queen
                      Moderate crafter
                      • Sep 2011

My advice would be to pop down to a local craft fair and take inspiration from the way they're doing things. If you're thinking about selling on the internet I would advise you to stay away from buying premade sites from the likes of vistaprint (they are expensive and very limited) and have a go at making one yourself with the help of online guides.
                      owner of thebeadqueen.co.uk and thebeadqueen.com
                      I make and sell handmade jewellery
                      I specialize in gemstone jewellery and pearl jewellery.
                      I've just started running a blog at http://thebeadqueen.com/blog for updates about craft fairs that I run, beading workshops that I teach and new products added to my online shop!

Comment

• Ladygoldragon
                        Moderate crafter
                        • Sep 2011

Sorry by stands I meant the bust or easel type have found some from about 1.70 so not to bad and I thought I would use a satin duvet cover for the table as I already have one in purple as the cards I like are in the same colour have used a single flat sheet for car boots before to cover the table worked a treat easy to wash no edging to do and cheap from wilkinson to. Thought I might do a kind of quiz to broke the ice question like birthstone for this month what is this gemstone that kind of thing about 15 questions win gets a pair of earrings or so but raffle as well sounds good. I'm not sure about the bags as I gave a necklace as a present in one the silver chain got caught took forever to untangle it as it was a three strand necklace middle being a heart chain

Comment

Working...
                        X