Lack of Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Sales

I have done markets and fairs, I have a Facebook page, I list my items on eBay, I'm on Etsy, I have my own website and online shop, I sell through shops across the UK....

I find my main income comes from sale or return through shops however that is the odd cheque every 2 or 3 months when they tot up their own sales.

I'm finding it a little hard to know what else to do at the moment to get my online shop / website on the go - it seems to have plenty of hits across a month, and I've just revamped the shop, but still nothing yet.....I've done free give-aways to entice people to introduce my business on Facebook to friends etc, but not really any sales from it.....

Booooo! Are my prices too high (I've lowered them recently to encourage new shop sales)? Am I producing the wrong kind of thing? .....what else can I do?! Any thoughts?!
    :: googlie-eye Designs :: Handmade gifts & accessories from recycled materials, giving new life to old discarded things!

g00glie-eye's Website
    g00glie-eye's Shop
    g00glie-eye on Facebook

I think you have to just be patient...I've been told that it can take up to and over a year for a website to really take off.....Just keep at the the promo'ing as much as you can....do you blog or twitter....both these tools can help get people to your site. Everyone is in the same boat at the moment...money is tight and there's tons of competition out there....keep plugging away and good luck!! xx
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Hokies dokies - will keep at it! - I have Facebook and I do have a blog and twitter too, but don't find I've 'slipped' into those as easy as I use Facebook.....
      Poo to rubbish money issues across the economic climate too.!
      :: googlie-eye Designs :: Handmade gifts & accessories from recycled materials, giving new life to old discarded things!

g00glie-eye's Website
      g00glie-eye's Shop
      g00glie-eye on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by googlie-eye Designs View Post
        Hokies dokies - will keep at it! - I have Facebook and I do have a blog and twitter too, but don't find I've 'slipped' into those as easy as I use Facebook.....
        Poo to rubbish money issues across the economic climate too.!
        Check out Wendy's Handmade Monday blog here
        a cracking place to add your blog and to see what your fellow artists/crafters are doing xx
        Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I agree you have to be patient things are very slow atm and people are not buying unless they have to, if you have a look at other threads you will find everyone is in the same boat.

Comment

Yip, same boat here and it is very disheartenig. However, i lowered my prices slightly at the craft fairs this weekend and i did no better. It might not be the price, just the current state of everyone's finances, sadly for us.
            Website
            Facebook

Blog

Comment

We have found this also, we are getting visitors to the our website but not many people are buying.

We have reduced are prices also and these are very competitive prices too.

Comment

So, pretty much poo to the economic climate then huh?!!

g00glie-eye's Website
                g00glie-eye's Shop
                g00glie-eye on Facebook

Comment

Keep promoting - decide what you like doing and do lots of it (Facebook, blogging, Twitter, etc). That's probably better than spreading yourself too thinly!

Blogging works for me in getting people from search engines, who I can then refer to my website. If you like blogging, please do join in Handmade Monday on my blog - a great way of getting new readers. An effective blog will be a mix of regular readers and people popping in because of search engines. You'll find customers will also follow it.

I think price matters most at certain price points (e.g. 4.99 is much more attractive than 5.99 but there's less difference between 5.99 and 6.99). Also, not everyone is looking for the cheapest price: when buying a gift, they often have a figure in mind (e.g. they'll be prepared to spend £10, £15 or £20 and more if it's for someone special).

People are still buying, we've just got to work harder at getting them to buy from us!
                  digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                  blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                  hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                  blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Iv'e looked at your website and it looks great but it's hard to find your products. Remember most people click and go if they don't see what they want immerdiately.
                    You need to develop your profile a lot more on your site to get buyers to come back.
                    You need to get a blog on your site and use it every day if possible.
                    Finally make sure your site is linked to other craft sites to drive your SEO.
                    These are observations and not criticisims from someone who has learned the hard way.

Comment

Can I be honest (please don't hate me) I had a look at your badges and to be completely frank I wouldn't spend £6.50 on a badge .... UNLESS I knew why. I am not saying your badges aren't worth 6.50 (I am sure they are) but It i not immediatly clear to me what they were made from, how they were made etc. Are they each unique? Hand stitched? Hand designed? Made from 100% pure cotton/silk/felt etc? Take the cute little birds for example:
                      Instead of

"Gorgeous pocket bird badge with dangly legs; AND glow-in-the-dark beads for his feet! A great addition to jazz up any simple outfit or jacket!
                      - Also available in keyring form! Each bird measures approx: 4" long and 5" high, including the legs and beak! Presented on card"

Perhaps try something like

" These gorgeous little pocket birds are in need of a good home. Each of them is completely unique, with a personality of their own. Made from 100 % recycled cotton and hand stitched with love, they'll happily travel with you wherever you go! Specifications: Measure 4 inches wide by 5 inches Long, " etc etc etc

That's far from perfect but you get the idea. Just a suggestion and I may be completely off the mark....

Good luck!

Jo

www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

You're site took quite a while to load which could put people off, the other thing is that by law you have to have contact details, i.e. name, address and telephone number. Maybe that puts people off too. Apart from that you have some lovely products and your pricing is very competitive.
                        Anne x

Comment

Originally posted by perfectangel View Post
                          Can I be honest (please don't hate me) [/I]
                          Honesty is the best policy, and all feedback is welcome! Thanks for the great advice, I'm never sure re: descriptions, so will certainly bear that in mind. I'm currently revamping the presentation of items too, so hopefully that will pull things together and look better when bring bought?

Pricing is always such a touch one. The shops sell the badges successfully for £8.00, but then I guess the customer is there and able to investigate the product. I have tried lowering my items to trade price when I have done market stalls, and people still pick things up but put them down again.....a learning curve I guess!

g00glie-eye's Website
                          g00glie-eye's Shop
                          g00glie-eye on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Fuschia View Post
                            You're site took quite a while to load which could put people off, the other thing is that by law you have to have contact details, i.e. name, address and telephone number.
                            Thanks for feedback! My contact details are all in the delivery and returns page in the shop, but I shall look into adding it to my main contact page too. I have noticed the main website can take a little while to load.....bit worried about that! But I've invested in a Shopify shop and that seems to have perked things up from the actual product / shop side of things...... a constant circle of improvement me things!! Ta for your feedback!

g00glie-eye's Website
                            g00glie-eye's Shop
                            g00glie-eye on Facebook

Comment

Hi there, Its not only on line, I organised a craft fair recently, local village hall, tables set up and taken down £10.00, i had 20+ sellers, plenty of variety. 2 cancelled last minuet and 4 didn't bother to turn up, advertised in the local press, pounded the pavements with at least a thousand flyers, and advertised in the surrounding villages and then listened to some grumbles that it was not very busy, well no it wasn't but not for the lack of trying.
                              Any one out there got any ideas for the next one? or should i give up.

Comment

Working...
                              X