Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for setting up online shop

Hi,
    I have been registered Self Employed and mainly selling on Ebay for over 6 months now. I am now thinking of setting up an online website / shop to run along my Ebay shop for now with a view to stopping selling on Ebay in the near future as the fees are so high.

I have no idea what costs etc. would be incurred in setting up an online shop, or exactly what I would need and would there be monthly costs for web hosting / domain etc. shopping carts and could I still use Paypal as a payment method?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Angie

My Blog - Angie's Crafting Palace

There are several companies out there some free hosting but think these are limited as to what you can do, most will use paypal as the shopping cart. Some used on here are create and Mr Site so if you google them you can then get more info.

I bought software for mine so only have to pay annual hosting of £24.99 and £8.99 for 2 years domain name plus vat, worth shopping around before jumping in and get views of the package you are looking at.

Comment

I used to buy web hosting and domain name from Namesco, it was around £20 for two years domain reg, and around £7 a month hosting. You can usually get some good deals on domain names; I think mine was £2.99 for the first couple of years. I used a free HTML programme and free FTP programme to code and upload, but I got really fed up of it. Then after my site was hacked twice in six months, I switched to Mr Site. The initial package can usually be found for around £20-£25 on Amazon; that includes your annual hosting as well as the web design. It also includes domain name reg, but I already had mine . After that first year, the standard package [which includes a shop] is around £40 per year. The package is just an instruction manual, which is really easy to follow, a CD if you prefer to use the manual that way, and a card with your acces code. You go onto the Mr Site website, log in with your code, and away you go.

The designs could be a bit limiting but for me the ease of programming and updating and the security is worth that slight loss of creativity. The shop function is very easy to use; the Standard version doesn't include stock control [though you get that with the Pro version] but overall I've been really pleased I made the change - in fact we moved our other website [which is one relating to guinea pigs so not crafty at all!] onto Mr Site too.
      Heather
      Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

If you look on the right here >>>>>>>>>>>>>> you'll see links to Create and Mr Site.

If you're not confident with anything too technical these are probably a good option as it's pretty straight forward (especially if you're used to loading products on an ebay shop) and even though Heather picks up on the lack of creativity I have to say I've always liked the way people's Mr Site shops look.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I moved my site from Mr Site to Create in February last year and haven't looked back since. Personally I prefer the set up of Create and the features worked much better for me. I did find Mr Site fairly easy to use but Create is a breeze and I have had less problems and more sales since moving (which may just be a coincidence so isn't a criticism of Mr Site).

You can have a 30-day free trial of Create so you certainly could give it a go before deciding if it is for you and not having any outlay. You can also link your site to your Ebay shop so that the sales can be seen together (I don't sell on Ebay so don't really know much about this side of things) I use(d) the Business/Pro package on both as I needed the larger number of items in my shop and the cost is pretty much the same - £90ish a year. There are smaller packages on both where some of the advanced features will not be included - I actually started at Mr Site on the standard package but ended up upgrading within about 6 months.

You really do need to shop around and look online for reviews and features to see what is going to work for you. Really sit down and think about what you are going to want to offer on your site (including things which you may initially be working towards). You can change in future so it isn't set in stone but it can be a long and labourious job to redo your site once it is already set up so it certainly helps to plan things out at the start.

Good luck
          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
          Follow me on Twitter:
          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. I will look through the sites you have mentioned and try and get a feel for what I actually want / need.

I have looked at all your websites and wow they all look very professional.

Just one other question, when you accept payments on your website, do you have to pay for this feature? For instance if I wanted to use paypal shopping cart, would I have to pay Paypal a fee for this service or would it just be the normal paypal fees which they deduct from each payment I receive.

Many thanks again
            Angie
            Angie

Comment

I have a Paypal business account so my payment page is in my company name and the payments go into my business bank account. It doesn't cost anything other than the normal Paypal transaction fees.

The online shop is all part of the package and certainly with Create you can choose other payment methods to offer alongside PayPal such as Google Cart, Cardsave, etc and even Pay Offline (where people can order from your site and send you a cheque in the post) if you want to. These other services may require registration fees but I only have PayPal on mine so I don't have details on this.
              Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
              Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
              Follow me on Twitter:
              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thanks Alicat for your reply.

I have booked to go and see a web site designer on Monday to talk through the options - I managed to get a free consultation and he is only local to myself. When I spoke to him on the phone, he was talking about Open Cart. So hopefully we will be able to discuss the differences between this, Mr Site, Create etc.
                I will let you all know how I get on.
                Thanks again everyone for your help.
                Angie
                Angie

Comment

Working...
                X