sewing circle classes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewing circle classes???

Just wondering if anybody can give me a bit of advice please? A few of my friends (who are not sewers) have suggested it may be an idea for me to start up a little, once a week "sewing class/circle". They often ask me to "show" them how i've made something, and say i'm a very patient teacher.
    I have a BA Hons in textile design which is more to do with surface pattern and the construction of fabrics, but I am self taught on the sewing machine. Both my mum and grandmother were creative with the sewing machine and my mum was also an upholstery machinist and they taught me a lot of what I know.
    I'm just wondering how I would go about setting up a class, i'm thinking informal makes for beginners etc. Would I need any sort of "qualification" to advertise as a sewing teacher/tutor?
    As far as I know my degree would allow me to legally teach adults over age 16 but I would need to complete a PGCE to teach children (which I have no desire to do) maybe somebody could put me right on this? Its just another idea going through my mind so I can eventually consider giving up my "proper" job and do what I love on a full-time basis......sew sew sew
    http://wwwheartandsew.blogspot.com/

If your friends are interested then you can just get them together and teach them without any qualifications. If they have come to you and want your help an advice then "you" are all that's needed. They have most probably seen your work and that should be testimony itself. I go round once a month to an elderly ladies house with a couple of other people who don't really know what to do if their work goes wrong - but this lady is very talented in all sorts of things so we know she will be able to help us if we get stuck and she does. The lady buys a bottle of wine and we bring our own projects - knitting, embroidery, making paper roses etc, tapestryit and if we want a glass of wine we pay £1 so it doesn't cost the lady anything.
    We call a "Knit and Natter" group and it's a great way to ensure you continue to finish a project.
    As word gets around your group could grow and then you could start charging??
    I think you should go for it - you've got the expertise and people who want your help. Good Luck
    Rebecca xx
    Rebecca

www.cauliflowercupcake.blogspot.com

Comment

My friend has just started a similar thing - running classes from her village hall to teach some novices (like me) how to make useful and decorative things - so far I have learned how to make cushions and handbags. As far as I know she doesn't have any teaching qualifications, she is just very talented and has good teaching skills i.e. knack of explaining things simply and lots of patience! I think the only 'requirement' you might want to consider is public liability insurance if you are doing anything more than teaching a few friends in your own home.
      To make it a viable business, you need to advertise, and that is the hardest bit to 'get going'. Try using facebook etc to create a bit of a buzz, put up flyers in local craft shops if they will let you and eventually the word will spread.
      Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      Annie.
      sowystitch.blogspot.com

Comment

OK, firstly you do not need to be qualified. You only need a PGCE if you are going to formally teach in state schools as a teacher of a discrete curriculum topics, you could however host after-school clubs or "teach" crafts in a private school.

If you do host classes for children, I would suggest that you get yourself an extended CRB check rather than just a straight CRB check. This will be great for both children and vulnerable adults.

Very often, it will be word of mouth that spreads your reputation.

Remember that it is the prep that will pay off, so make sure that you have clear sets of instructions, enough kit and materials for everyone and if possible get a friend to be there with you as your lovely assistant. It is great to have another pair of eyes in the room.
        Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

I go to one in a Scout Headquarters in a village. We pay a membership fee and then £3 each time we go. We take our own machines and anything else we might need and they supply the support, power, drinks, food, anything else we may need. We have a good time for 2/3 hours once or twice a week. I thoroughly enjoy it. There is one lady who leads the group, she has all the knowhow regarding sewing and very competent she is too.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
          X