Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With Company Name!!!

Help I need your opinions!

I thought I had checked the name, Daisy Belle Crafts, out before starting but since looking for fairs to attend, it turns out there is a Daisy Craft based very locally to me. Although we sell totally different things we are cropping up at the same internet sites and locally it could be confusing.

Obviously my first thought is to change my company name. This really saddens me as it's my baby daughters name. Logistically it's a nightmare having signed up with lots of people, promoted myself as this and having printed lots of material up with this name, not to mention the website.

My other thought was to contact the other company and explain the situation and seek their opinion on it.

Any of these options or something totally different?

Thanks
    Claire

Craft kits for children for all levels visit me at: www.daisybellecrafts.co.uk

Could you drop the crafts bit off the end? Would that work? It might attract many more people who wouldn't necessarily be looking for crafty things but then again it might not attract those who are looking for crafty things. Hmmm - probably confused you more there!!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

How frustrating!!!! Could you change the name to Daisy Belle Craft Kits?
      Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
        Could you drop the crafts bit off the end? Would that work? It might attract many more people who wouldn't necessarily be looking for crafty things but then again it might not attract those who are looking for crafty things. Hmmm - probably confused you more there!!
        At least you read my ramblings! It's a good suggestion. Thanks
        Claire

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy4lee View Post
          How frustrating!!!! Could you change the name to Daisy Belle Craft Kits?
          swirlyarts just suggested shortening the name so lengthening would work too. I'm so upset by it I can't see past changing the whole damn name. Thanks
          Claire

Comment

Legally, you can call yourself any name you want as long as you are not trading off another companies reputation. Ie. you cannot pretend to be an affiliate etc. eg. If you called yourself "Levi jeans" and sold jeans making out you were connected with levi strauss then that's not allowed.

As you are not (I presume) making out that you either are or are connected to the other company then you are not doing anything wrong.
            I would hate to be forced into changing your name. The other company hasn't contacted you to complain so I don't see that you need to do anything.

Personally I like the name Daisy Belle! I think it sounds a lot classier than daisy crafts!

I am not the only Beads By Design. There is also one in America. I tend to come out higher then they do on the internet searches. It has never ever been an issue though. We've never contacted one another over it or been confused for one another.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

You say you sell completly different things to the other company.Is there a word you can add to show the difference?
              https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Call the business "My Craft Business".

Then change your daughters name by deed poll - problem solved!
                It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

I had this problem too. I thought i was clever and came up with the name 'get crafty', i made flyers etc for my craft parties and at a later date decided to start a webshop. Had to go for .org.uk as com and .co.uk were taken. I didn't think anymore of it untill i tried to google myself. The other get crafty's that came up weren't shops except for the .co.uk. I felt really bad and didn't know what to do. After thinking about it for a while i decided to contact them only to find out they had closed down so i didn't have to go down that road.

I would stick to your name as it is or just emphasize the 'Belle' part of your name i.e D Belle Crafts or something.

At least as you said you sell different things so it shouldn't cause to much confusion.
                  Emma
                  Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
                  Sassy Crafts Blog
                  My Blog

Comment

I'm sure Daisy Belle would be fine, because when you are in search engines you'll have your key words that should still find you. If you know what I mean.
                    I'm Deezkatz Designs, which could be anything!!! but I still get pretty good business through it! and no-ones ever questioned it.
                    I've come across Deez Designs and Katz Designs before and thought 'oooh' but just left it, cause I love the name.
                    Or contact Mandy at Daisy Crafts and see what she says, I know shes been set up for some time now with her name and website but always worth a go.
                    Hope that helps and I havent made it worse.
                    Deanne x

My daily goings on
                    My online store
                    My monthly craft group

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                      Help I need your opinions!

I thought I had checked the name, Daisy Belle Crafts, out before starting but since looking for fairs to attend, it turns out there is a Daisy Craft based very locally to me. Although we sell totally different things we are cropping up at the same internet sites and locally it could be confusing.
                      I wouldnt worry too much - the names are similar but not exactly the same. The world is probably full of similarly named businesses but if you like who you and your not legally breaching any rules just stick with it
                      Mel

Comment

Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post
                        Call the business "My Craft Business".

Then change your daughters name by deed poll - problem solved!
                        cheered me up
                        Claire

Comment

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate the support.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but it's given me some positive vibes about keeping the name and some good alternatives if I go down the route of changing it.

x
                          Claire

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB
                            I think you'll be fine to keep your name - you'll soon build up your own reputation and people will get to know you.

Mind you, I'm not really in any position to comment, as I'm pretty sure there's no other company with my name .... jellybelly*jellybrain !!
                            cool name! Dare I ask, what do you sell?
                            Claire

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                              cool name! Dare I ask, what do you sell?
                              www.jellybelly-jellybrain.co.uk
                              Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X