Laying out a shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying out a shop

I know I should be reading about business rates and tax and law, but I am more interested in the colours and layout of my shop (if I get that far!!)...

What is the best way for laying out a shop!!!??? How do you display jewellery along with other arts and crafts?! How do I decide?

I have never set out a shop and really wouldn't know where to start but I'm sure it's true about putting things in customers' eyeline, I'm sure people do tend to pay more attention to what's in front of them (like supermarkets put the stuff that they're not so bothered about selling on the bottom shelves).

A friend of mine had a bric-a-brac shop many years ago and she said that a lot of her customers liked to 'rummage', so, she tended to put a selection of bits and bobs to one side of the counter for people to look through (they didn't like to be overlooked whilst rummaging). She would also move stock around, so when 'regulars' came in the displays looked fresh & it would bring items to their attention that they'd missed before.

One shop that I love looking in & find inspirational, is Bennetts in Derby, they manage to set out a wide variety of merchandise in such a way that it all works & 'comes together' somehow (I've not explained that very well but don't know how else to put it).

Sorry I've not been of much help!

Good luck
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I think I saw somewhere that most shoppers turn left as soon as they enter a shop, and this is where to put items that you really want to sell.
      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
        I think I saw somewhere that most shoppers turn left as soon as they enter a shop, and this is where to put items that you really want to sell.
        Yep I heard that too. Also put those less expensive impulse items near the counter so customers will pick them up while waiting.

One piece of advice I was given is to not just have your baskets at the entrance - put some at the back of the shop so those who came in to browse can easily get a basket when they see something they want to buy....they'll only buy one or two things if they have to hold them but once they put them in that handily placed basket they're more likely to go on and buy more.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I hate going into a shop and not seeing the price of things clearly.
          If i have to ask the price, i don't bother.
          I know there's the saying that 'if you have to ask then you can't aford it' but if the customer thinks that too then they won't ask.
          http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have a look on Flickr for ideas - not just in the shops section but in photo's of peoples house too - you will get an idea of which things work together and it will give you loads of inspiration!
            Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
            My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
            My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post

Great little tip.

Cheers!!!!!!!
              http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/

Comment

Put things there I really want to sell?! I want to sell everything!!! LOL But great tip.

I agree with you on the price thing. I'm not sure about the rummage bins - I want to be able to keep an eye on people as they look around.

Thanks for all the ideas - they are really great. Any more?

Comment

Depending on the value of your jewellery, I know lots of places put their jewellery in those glass shelf units with doors that you can get from Ikea. That way, they're still out on display, and a bit harder to pinch!

I went into the scrummiest shop yesterday to try and get them to stock my products. It was all sanded floorboards, beams, white walls, home-made soaps making it smell lovely, and to get in you had to open the vintage-looking half-stable door. It was like something in a magazine ... proper rustic and vintage-y rather than "staged"
                  Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Ohh sounds lovely - what did they display stuff on?

Comment

I've got a feeling it was a couple of welsh-dressers and a big pine table, but they may just be me romanticising it now! She said she would place an order with me at the end of July (here's hoping....!) and if she does sell my stuff I will take a photo of the shop to add it to my website.
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Thanks - I had the idea to use that kind of stuff too... I want to ensure that it's high enough to see but out of the reach of little hands - if only my sons hands!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerhair View Post
                          Put things there I really want to sell?! I want to sell everything!!! LOL But great tip.

I agree with you on the price thing. I'm not sure about the rummage bins - I want to be able to keep an eye on people as they look around.

Thanks for all the ideas - they are really great. Any more?
                          Yes, go and see the business manager at your bank, they know all about this stuff, and will probably emphasise the millions of other priorities over the colour and layout of the shop.

Comment

There is a beautiful shop near me too that lay out their jewellery in glass cases. They have stuff hanging from the walls on hooks in nooks in the walls and on big farmhouse wooden kitchen tables. It took me ages to look around everything but it was an experience (one that I liked for once!).
                            Claire

Craft kits for children for all levels visit me at: www.daisybellecrafts.co.uk

Comment

Did you buy anything, Claire?

Comment

Working...
                              X