Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone shipped goods by container

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had shipped goods in to the country by container and if they had any tips/companies they had used. I'm looking at importing from china but having never done anything like this so I'm a tad nervous about the whole thing. Especially when they talk about fob and containers etc.

thanks in advance
    xxx
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088423&id=1137991135#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree/369040987041
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775?v=wall

Why on earth would anyone here want to be shipping in goods by container? Think you are on the wrong forum sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by wood-u-like View Post
      Why on earth would anyone here want to be shipping in goods by container? Think you are on the wrong forum sunshine.
      Because she has always tried to buy in bulk if you would care to check back.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I've never shipped anything in by container but did seriously consider it in the past so looks like I'm on the wrong forum too - no idea how I managed so many posts before someone pointed it out
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I'm still at the ask your dad to stuff it in his suitcase stage but might these people help?
          You might be able to get all the info out of them then think whether you can go it alone or would be happier using an agent.
          http://www.rwfreight.co.uk/china-imp...FYn-2AodzgFe2w

Annie

Comment

Thanks for all your replies

AnnieAnna thanks for the link. I think I'll get in contact with them and see how the land lies or should I say waters :-)

Well it's been along time since anyone has tried to speak to me condescendingly using the word 'Sunshine'! Your response suggests a slight amount of ignorance.

I will turn the question around and ask why wouldn't anyone here want to ship from abroad in a container if your business model points in that direction? There's a large world out there full of crafting materials and tools etc. Many products are manufactured in China, India, Tiawan, Germany etc. This is not just the domain of large company's and corporations. smaller companies and individuals are now able to access this arena.

Not that I need to explain myself but, although I have delved and currently delve into a few crafts for pleasure my current business project is based around childrens crafts. Most of the materials required are manufactured abroad and those that you can get over here from wholesalers are packaged in smallish quantities with limited colours and sizes etc. It makes sense to get as near to source as possible in order to get the materials required and to make things as cost effective as possible. If they were available in the UK it would make things a whole lot easier!

This forum is a great mix of skills and experience on both small and large scale production that may or may not be available to tap into but it never hurts to ask and I think it's unfair to shoot people down.

xxx
            http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088423&id=1137991135#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree/369040987041
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775?v=wall

Comment

Well said, Little_hands.

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

What's a fob, by the way? I thought they were the pretty things on key rings?

Comment

Is it the abreviation for Free On Board.
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Little_hands View Post
                    Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had shipped goods in to the country by container and if they had any tips/companies they had used. I'm looking at importing from china but having never done anything like this so I'm a tad nervous about the whole thing. Especially when they talk about fob and containers etc.

thanks in advance
                    xxx
                    Hi little hands. If you have one company in mind that you will be buying from, then you can ask them to quote FOB (freight on board) to your nearest sea port, or CIF (carriage insurance freight) to your address. Hopefully then all you have to do is appoint an Agent in this country to deal with the import duties, VAT, customs clearance and delivery to your door.

It is a minefield I'm afraid, we went out to SE Asia to meet with our rattan suppliers this year to establish a relationship. It can be very daunting/frightening because you can bet that you will have to pay for all of the goods "up front" so there is an awful lot of trust involved. Then there is the storage issue once the goods arrive!

"Wood u like", there are a lot of people like us trying to keep dying skills alive and to do it we have no choice but to import from Asia - rattan only grows in tropical forests and by demanding the best rattan and paying the highest price means that the forestry will be preserved, otherwise the rattan won't grow!
                    www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Little_hands View Post
                      Hi

thanks in advance
                      xxx

Hi Little Hands

I've been thinking about this too, but have not had the nerve to try it yet. Have you contacted your local Business Link? They have lots of information about lots of different things, and may be able to give you advice on this area. I'm thinking of talking to my local BL people about this, as it is a difficult thing to do if you've never done it before.

Do let us know how you get on if you try this. I think it could be well worthwhile if you're buying in large quantities, and it sounds a very sensible approach to me.

Annie
                      Annie

Comment

Your rudeness is becoming a real pain. If you can't say things in a more pleasant way perhaps you are on the wrong forum. There's a world of difference between being honest and blunt and just plain pig ignorant. Please try and talk with some respect

Pete
                        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                        Facebook

Website

Comment

I haven't got anything to add to the OP's thread (other than to say - make use of Business Link while you can; like so many helpful services, it's on the current Govt's hitlist and will stop operating in mid(ish)-2011.

But I do have to say I really hate people who are rude to other forum members and don't have the courtesy (nerve?) to come back and apologise when it becomes evident their preconceived ideas are out of order .

Not cool. Not cool at all.

Sarah Gail Designs
                          Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
                          Crafty Cat Events
                          Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

I think you need to think about the weight. If it's less than 100kgs, you might want to get the manufacturer to quote for shipping by air (unless they don't arrange transport at all). You can also arrange it yourself from the UK (DHL often have the best prices from China or HK and it only takes 3 days).
                            All my suppliers in China arrange shipping for me and I use air everytime. The containers can take weeks to arrive as you are probably aware and you will have to use a shiping agent (I have dealt with one based in Manchester and know of another friendly one down south if you need any contact).
                            There are quite a few fees that the agent bill you for (handling, use of deferment, storage) and you get more involved with the import documentation - headache ahead. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can help.
                            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Former Glory View Post
                              Hi little hands.

It is a minefield I'm afraid, we went out to SE Asia to meet with our rattan suppliers this year to establish a relationship. It can be very daunting/frightening because you can bet that you will have to pay for all of the goods "up front" so there is an awful lot of trust involved. Then there is the storage issue once the goods arrive!

"Wood u like", there are a lot of people like us trying to keep dying skills alive and to do it we have no choice but to import from Asia - rattan only grows in tropical forests and by demanding the best rattan and paying the highest price means that the forestry will be preserved, otherwise the rattan won't grow!
                              just out of interest, how did it go ? did you buy and ship ?? a friend of mine was telling me about her uncle who was forever flying over to China ,arranging goods to be shipped .he did it for years but then perished in mysterious circumstances ! his family knew he had bank accounts over there but were unable to find out any info !!!
                              Last edited by bobby p; 15-09-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X