The dreaded revenue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded revenue

Hi all, I wonder if you can help. I sent off the forms to the revenue about three weeks ago to set up as a sole trader. I haven't heard anythign back though. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?

Many thanks
    Kerry

Originally posted by Planty28 View Post
    Hi all, I wonder if you can help. I sent off the forms to the revenue about three weeks ago to set up as a sole trader. I haven't heard anythign back though. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?

Many thanks
    Kerry
    You have to remember we are talking Gov depts here, they are notoriously slooooooooow :-(

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I think it was at least 6 weeks before I got my NI exemption certificate through

cj
      www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
      Become a facebook fan
      Check out my blog

Comment

First I heard when I applied was a form asking for an insurance contribution.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
          First I heard when I applied was a form asking for an insurance contribution.

Pete
          That's pretty much the way of it! I didn't get any special letter, just one saying that it appeared I now had to complete SA as I was self-employed. Took a while for the penny to drop!

Sarah Gail Designs
          Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
          Crafty Cat Events
          Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

I rang them up and did it over the phone. It did take a few weeks though to get the forms to sign to say I wouldn't be making enough to pay national insurance and I got my certificate a few weeks after that.
            I have now got my self assessment forms, but they don't have to be in until Jan 2011 so still time to get my head around them!
            http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

They only have to be in by Jan if you want to calculate everything yourself - if you want them to do it you need to get them in by September......!

Judith
              www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Eiledon View Post
                I rang them up and did it over the phone. It did take a few weeks though to get the forms to sign to say I wouldn't be making enough to pay national insurance and I got my certificate a few weeks after that.
                I have now got my self assessment forms, but they don't have to be in until Jan 2011 so still time to get my head around them!
                The tax office run courses on what expenses you can claim and how to fill the tax return in, I've just been on the setting up one which was interesting and confirmed that I was on the right track. Bonus is that it they are free and you get free tead and biscuits lol. But seriously I would recommend the courses which can be found on the hrmc website, seems there had been some delays in the courses but they are trying to get as many in before the closure of some of the offices but even then they are looking at alternative venues and who better than a Tax inspector to get advice for free from.

Comment

Oooh thanks everyone, they are probably just being slow then. And thanks for the heads up on the courses Xavtia, I'll get onto the revenue's website. I've been in accounts for years (my proper but unloved job) so should know what I'm doing but it's different doing it for yourself isn't it.......... Kerry

Comment

Yes the Tax office is slow, I am still waiting to hear back from them and it's been 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by prem2pram View Post
                      Yes the Tax office is slow, I am still waiting to hear back from them and it's been 6 weeks.
                      Due to the changes in made in the emergency budget a lot of things are having to be changed so they are running a bit behind at the moment the lady running the course said on tues, I'm sure you'll hear something soon.

Comment

Cool - and I'm sure they will be as patient with us come payment time - tee hee

Comment

Do you get a notice back from them once you say your Self Employed?

I just got a huge NI bill, then once picking myself up from the floor I realised that they must now know I'm SE
                          I Love Handcrafted

Handmade Marketplace for the UK - Coming Soon

Join us on Facebook! I love Handcrafted

Comment

Originally posted by nicksyb View Post
                            Do you get a notice back from them once you say your Self Employed?

I just got a huge NI bill, then once picking myself up from the floor I realised that they must now know I'm SE
                            As has been said already, the NI bill can be the first notification you get of the fact they've processed your SE paperwork.

Sarah Gail Designs
                            Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
                            Crafty Cat Events
                            Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

My NI contribution is tiny. £2 something a week. When I had my son 2 years ago, this meant that I qualified for Maternity allowance @ £117 per week. That was a bit of a bonus!

Now as I am the main money earner, (last year something like £6000!) we also get loads of tax credits. DH is also self employed.

Kate
                              www.babynamepictures.co.uk
                              www.twitter.com/katenamepics

Comment

Working...
                              X