Profit and Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profit and Loss

I've just been going through my sales and writing down what has been sold and when and also Ebay and Paypal fees.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I work out total profit and loss for the Inland Revenue please?
    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

I don't think it's a case of profit and loss to start with...
    You write down everything you've spent on the business, materials bills etc, then you write down how much money has come in to you by way of sales.
    Subtract the first one from the second one and there's your profit.... (remember that most businesses make a loss to start with (ie the figure you are subtracting is bigger because of all your start up costs....
    That's the figure the tax man wants to know about, so basically the more materials, bills etc you can show you've paid out, the less 'profit' you've made, and hopefully small tax bill (or none at all)!!!!
    Have i explained that right?
    Not sure if i'm making sense
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's what I'm doing - I keep all the invoices for both sales and purchases, plus I have a book for recording sales and dates (it makes it a bit more fun, having something just for sales too!!!)
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

You shouldn't need to provide anything until requested to do so by Inland Revenue. You should receive a tax form to complete with the information. If you have one and struggle with it, PM me and I'll ask Jon (accountant hubby) to guide you thro it.
        Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

I have a excel workbook set up with bank payments/receipts, petty cash payments/receipts, bank recociliations, debtors and prepayments, creditors and accruals, income and expenditure acc and trading, profit and loss account templates. All with the formulas set up, all you have to do is adjust it for you business and enter your figures! Let me know if you want it emailing it to you!
          http://georgebee.etsy.com/

Comment

We haven't got Excel but I've been recording all my 'ins' and 'outs' up to the year end so I think I've got the gist. Still waiting for my Tax Return from the IR. Shall I just file it online anyway?
            Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
            Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by littlesnuggler View Post
              We haven't got Excel but I've been recording all my 'ins' and 'outs' up to the year end so I think I've got the gist. Still waiting for my Tax Return from the IR. Shall I just file it online anyway?
              Have you told them you need to file a return - they don't just automatically 'know', the responsibility lies on the individual to inform them. Not really fair, but this is the Revenue we're talking about
              Melanie

"When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?" Serenity

http://www.myspace.com/kandmcreations
              http://www.kandmbeadshop.co.uk/ | http://www.kandmcreations.co.uk/
              http://kandmcom.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeBee View Post
                I have a excel workbook set up with bank payments/receipts, petty cash payments/receipts, bank recociliations, debtors and prepayments, creditors and accruals, income and expenditure acc and trading, profit and loss account templates. All with the formulas set up, all you have to do is adjust it for you business and enter your figures! Let me know if you want it emailing it to you!
                I would be interested in something like this, I have a paper accounts system but I want to do it on my pc as well or even instead of, I have excel but I am not really good with it but if the formulas are all set up it should be easy enough even for me to use.
                Maz

Preserving yesterdays memories for Tomorrow at www.willow-crafts.com

Comment

I was sent a tax return form and it looks very daunting, but I am simply recording incoming and outgoings and when I sit down and have a look at it I'm hoping all becomes clear. I'm sure it will as everything I'm doing is quite simple at the moment. I'm keeping all the paperwork to prove my claims if needed.

I still think its alot to go through just to sell a few paintings here and there, but there you go thats life I suppose.
                  Amanda
                  xx

Comment

A great start to being self employed is to attend a course at the inland revenue. They are free and go through the basics of book keeping. They also offer you a friendly face to help with any problems you might experience during your first couple of years.

The IR also have several useful publications with some good basic advice.
                    As Melanie says, you have to inform them that you are working as a self employed person.
                    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

GeorgeBee
                      I would really love one of those excel spreadsheets you have. Would you send me one?
                      Thanks

Comment

Hi! I would love one of those Excel forms too if that's possible?
                        Thanks so much :-)

Find what you want to do and then do it with all your heart.

Comment

Unfortunately this is an old thread and GeorgeBee hasn't posted on the Forum since February 2008 so you might not get a reply.
                          Wood Tattoos
                          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                          Facebook
                          Flickr
                          Twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X