quick SEO query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick SEO query

please can some of your more techie people help me with a quick question.
    Google has now found my website and brings me up when people write safimel into the search engine but the line it brings up is the writing which was at the bottom of the page when it was set up and not a line of text I would like it to show. I have now changed that text to something which I feel may be better but will this automatically be changed by google or do I need to do something to help it get done?
    Many thanks and sorry for my stupidity!!
    www.safimelcardsandpendants.co.uk

Google picks the "snippet" is show. If you don't like what you see it basically means you need to add some text content relating to the keywords you are targeting.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

ok but does it update it automatically from where I have updated the website with the text I do want and if so how long will this take or do I have to contact google to get it done?

Comment

I had a look at your site and coding and I couldnt see description or keywords meta tags in your code. If you want to show a particular description in your Google wording you need to add a description in your meta tags for google to pick up on.

Caroline
        silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
        bespoke handmade jewellery
        Silver Jewellery blog
        Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

google spiders tendb to go for key words and <h1> tags......can't find any of these in your html.

This is why. google has picked out the text that it thinks is most important.

Add in some meta keywords to your header and a description and google should then pick this up.
          Helen Victoria
          classic and contempory, bespoke jewellery for any occasion
          Phoenix Trader
          http://www.helen-victoria.co.uk
          [email protected]
          www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Helen-Victoria-Jewellery/152577689219?ref=mf.

Comment

I want to understand but I have no idea what you are talking about meta tags? I used fasthost to do my site and just assumed it would be picked up eventually which it was. where do I find meta tags and how do I put them in. Please excuse the stupidity, technology is seriously not my strong point, I can explain the complexities of pension rules and can just about manage to make cards but computer stuff is really beyond my brain ha ha!

Comment

html?? please clarify also!

Comment

html - this is the language the source code is written in. When you have internet explorer open click view on the menu then select source (firefox its 'page source') and you will get a window appear showing you the html for the page you are viewing.
                Cheers,

Chris

http://www.blossom-crafts.co.uk
                http://www.wowthankyou.co.uk/blossom-crafts
                http://www.blossomcrafts.blogspot.com

Comment

html is how your website is written. Its like the behind the scenes text that tells the internet how your website should look.

If you view the source of your website as stated above and have a look at all the gobbledegook this is your html. At the top of the list you will see this

<head> and in this section you should have this
                  <meta name="keywords" content=" the section will finish with this </head>

following this should be about 5 or six words, that describe your site...ie jewellery, silver, beads...etc that the user can type into a brouser (eg google)
                  Then google will go off and search for these words and bring up what it finds. Bare in mind that there will be 1000's of websites with the same key words so don't be dissapointed if your website does not appear at the top of the list.

<meta name="description" content=
                  This is the the text that will appears underneath your website in google ie

Helen Victoria Jewellery
                  helen victoria jewellery based in hampshire selling hand crafted jewellery.

so in your list of html underneath the keywords you should see this

<meta name="keywords" content="
                  helen victoria jewellery based in hampshire selling hand crafted jewellery.

these are the bits you are missing... if you needs help setting this up give me a pm or speak to the person that created your website.

hope this helps!!!
                  Helen Victoria
                  Phoenix Trader
                  [email protected]

Comment

meta tags

Hi,
                    If you are struggling with meta tags etc, there are some get free services that you can use that build the meta tags for you and then you just copy and paste them onto the top of the index page of your website.

The free service I use is provided by Scrub the Web, can't get more straightforward than the service this site gives when it comes to meta tags.
                    http://www.mythologyhellenic.com
                    http://www.creativenaturecardsuk.com

Comment

thanks for the replies! I built my site myself using fasthost sitebuilder so have not got into the ins and out of such things yet! I will explore further to see if I can change the metatags myself but may come back for more advice thanks so much!

Comment

i have managed to add some metatags to the site, hoping that the rest will now sort itself out and google will pick these up thanks

Comment

Each and every page should have differnet meta tags.

If you signup to google webmaster tools ( google "google webmaster tools") I will tell you what's wrong with the site.

I wouldn't worry much about the meta tag "keywords" are google no longer uses this as a metric..

Hope that helps..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                            Each and every page should have differnet meta tags.

If you signup to google webmaster tools ( google "google webmaster tools") I will tell you what's wrong with the site.

I wouldn't worry much about the meta tag "keywords" are google no longer uses this as a metric..

Hope that helps..

does it not? i will have to pass this on at work as a great deal of effort is put into the keyword aspect.
                            I will have to some research into this!
                            Helen Victoria
                            Phoenix Trader
                            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X