No announcement yet.

Creating a website, where how and what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a website, where how and what?

Hi All,

After considering and finally getting my own design stamps into production, i am thinking of opening a website with not only my own but all crafty products, like papers, peel off, stamps tools, etc everything a crafter needs.
    But the downfall is, where do I start????

Website creation is simple for me, but its the knock on the head, of tax, legalisation costs etc, and thats where it stops, i dont know where to begin.

Fair enough supplies maybe hard to get hold off, but ive some connections to do that with, but what else do i need to think about.

regards

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking in your post but I thought I'd let you know I got an email in my inbox yesterday saying 1-2-3 reg are offering a free secure site cert (normally £99) free if you set up one of their e-commerce sites.

I might add I do not work for 1-2-3 and have never used their specific services! so cant recommend them but it seemed like an interesting offer.

If you can clarify what help you're asking for I might be able to answer - thanks!

Suzi
    Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
    Precious Creations website
    Precious Creations facebook page
    Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
    My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

Originally posted by PreciousCreations View Post
      I'm not sure I understand what you're asking in your post but I thought I'd let you know I got an email in my inbox yesterday saying 1-2-3 reg are offering a free secure site cert (normally £99) free if you set up one of their e-commerce sites.

I might add I do not work for 1-2-3 and have never used their specific services! so cant recommend them but it seemed like an interesting offer.

If you can clarify what help you're asking for I might be able to answer - thanks!

Suzi
      I got one as well. I run my website through 123 and find them OK. Not as a shop though. Check out their details on their website.

Pete

P.S. I don't work for them either, just a satisfied customer of theirs.
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

HI,

thanks for a reply. But sorry i didnt explain it well.

What i mean is where do i need to start to start up an internet business (i have no idea) lol

Thanks

Comment

You'll need to register as self employed for tax but unless you earn loads in your first year you'll probably not have to pay any tax (if you go to my blog via my tweet there is a link to an inland revenue self employed tax course).

Have you thought about using etsy, folksy etc until you get going?
          Otherwise you'll need to buy a domain and server space with e-commerce but you say you know what you're doing with regard to all that?
          Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
          Precious Creations website
          Precious Creations facebook page
          Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
          My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

Hi Chalkz & hello to a fellow noobie (I'm getting addicted!),

Your initial post seems to raise a few points. One around setting up a website and the others around setting up a business (tax, legislation etc.) unless I have misunderstood and you are refering to tax implications & any legalities around what you propose to sell online?

Can you clarify what points you want more info on?

If it's around setting up a website shop I can probably help, if your query is more around specifics relating to your craft sector I probably can't.
            Handmade Natural Soap from the Peak District, Derbyshire
            Handmade Therapeutic Soap,
            Organic Bath & Body Care.

Comment

Hi Chalkzy,

I understand where you're coming from, I've just gone through the same thing, and got all my answers here. If you single click on my name you can view all my posts on this forum - you will probably find a lot of decent answers in the posts I've made on this forum cos I've been asking about all those aspects.

Here's my basic summary:
              Tax...you have 3 months within opening your business to register as self-employed (even if you're working) with the tax office. I am taking the view that as long as I keep clear records of everything I've spent and earned, I will deal with my first tax return whenever it hits my doorstep, and apparently it's not too hard to do online. My dad, who's an accountant, has also told me that you don't pay tax until you're in profit - and that means everything, cos you might be making a profit on materials but not when you include the cost of the website and insurance etc, so you wouldn't have to pay tax yet in that case.

Legal issues:
              It depends what you're selling, but basically you need to look at things like the online selling regulations and various trade acts. A lot of governemnt websites have these and it can be helpful to look at sites on consumer rights too. This is what I found hardest to figure out cos there was so much! You also need to be aware of any specific rules for your products (eg for me, there are nickel content laws and also exemptions such as I do not have to refund earrings for hygiene reasons unless faulty). I looked at the terms and conditions of lots of sites and tried to make sure I had it all covered.

I'm no expert though so PLEASE do not take my word as gospel or proper legal advice!! :P
              Last edited by supersezzie; 21-12-2009, 05:54 PM.
              http://purpleswirley.com

Become a fan of my facebook page and you could win a gorgeous necklace!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PurpleSwirley/190387371643

Comment

Contact your local Business Link and you get a meeting with an advisor who can help you through all this lot! Their website is very good too

Judith
                www.happysheepdesigns.com

Photographic cards, prints and gifts, and hand-knitted/crocheted accessories and clothing

www.busyted.co.uk

Home of Busy Ted! Also find him on Twitter @busytedstuff and on Facebook

Comment

sometimes the inland revenue run courses on how to fill in tax returns and what to do when setting up a new business. They might have details of courses on their website.
                  http://www.mythologyhellenic.com
                  http://www.creativenaturecardsuk.com

Comment

Working...
                  X