how many items do you produce a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many items do you produce a day?

I know some people's crafts take longer than others but I wondered how many items you can produce in one day on average?

I'm seriously under producing, I know, so please tell me you all make millions a day so it gives me a kick up the jacksie!!!
    Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
    Precious Creations website
    Precious Creations facebook page
    Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
    My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

How long is a piece of string? It really depends on the craft, I make jewellery and bags and I find it much easier to make a few of the same things at the same time to save time. If I am making earrings I make all the earwires in one go so I get into a rhythm and then all the dangles to go with them. If I am making bags I do all the handles and then all the linings and then the bags themselves. It certainly speeds things up.

Melanie

Comment

Yesterday I produced 74 items the day before 2. Depends what I am making. The 74 were snomen and pendant blanks so are relatively cheap, the day before was a bowl making day so took longer.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

It All depends

As other people have said it varies depending on what you are making as on Thursday I was building up stock of my Shabby Chic dolly pegs and did 240 but they are really quick and easy but I only made 3 peg bags and an apron yesterday.
        I am working on a patchwork quilt today which I won't get done so I will have a grand total of 0
        What are you making and how many?

Love
        Amy

Comment

I was thinking I could make about 10 sets of things I have in mind if I just got off my botty and got to it.But some days it takes ages, other days it takes less time.
          Dont beat yourself up, we are all different an owrk at different paces.
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

thanks for the replies guys! well at the moment I'm making tutus to order, at halloween I was doing about 4-5 a day, I paint but these take a little longer as I have to wait for things to dry in between but I usually have 2 on the go at once anyway and I've just started doing little purses (upcycling), I'm handsewing most of it so I guess it's taking longer for that reason.

What do you all do if you're half way thru something and it's not turning out how you'd like - do you put it aside for another day or keep going and know it'll turn out right in the end?

Suzi
            Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
            Precious Creations website
            Precious Creations facebook page
            Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
            My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

Oh dear. It all makes my one or two a week sound a bit slow. Although, again, depends on what I am making. A large quilt can take 3 to 6 months. (I do other things in between though)
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Some days I do nothing - w*rk and family tend to get in the way of me enjoying myself - but if I get some time to myself I can do anything from part of something to a dozen or more.

It also depends on how I feel - but my crafting is enjoyment not a way to make a living for me.

There are far too many "ands, ifs and buts" in my life.

Linda

Comment

Obviously my work as done in the evenings, probably like most of you but If I am in the right frame of mind, I can make 4 or 5 items in a evening. Once I get started I forget to stop. Not good for my sleeping habits
                  Rosemary
                  www.glitzandglamourjewellery.co.uk
                  www.flickr.com/photos/glitzandglamourjewellery
                  http://www.facebook.com/glitz.and.glamour.jewellery
                  http://www.glitzandglamourjewellery.co.uk/blog.html

Comment

As said before, "how long is a piece of string", but when I am in the mood I can really shift some timber. 'Woodturning', and can turn out some nice work, but if I'm not in the mood I'm really useless. As such you will often catch me down on my allotment, or doing some of 'er indoors jobs list.
                    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Try to work a little every day

Some days I can make dozens of (stationary/card) items and others I can only produce a few -either I'm not in the mood or I have other online work related things to deal with.

If I have an order, however, I work like a machine and can spend all day and night creating until it's done.

For the more intricate or time-consuming items (origami/beaded mobiles, beading in general) I might only be able to complete one in a day or two -mainly because it's too much work for one day or I get pains

Miho
                      Miho *^_^*

Miho Suzuki Shop
                      Twitter
                      Facebook

Comment

I can't work out how long it takes me as each figurine is different and one set of toppers can be simple yet still take me a good week to finish depening on what else I am doing.

Because the toppers are in and out of the oven and I have to allow plenty of time to let them cool down (learnt my lesson the hard way by trying to get them done quicker by touching them when they were still warm and had bits drop off!).

Plus it depends on what I feel like, whats going on that week and how much other stuff like housework, shopping, cooking, etc etc etc.

To be honest I wish I could get into a routine and only come into my craft room at certain times and days but I seem to be popping in and out at all hours and trying to fit everything in together.

So all in all, its kind of impossible to say how long it takes me but last year I only took bookings for one set a week but I have to get myself moving a bit more this year I think and try and get a couple of sets done a week!

Pauline
                        Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

It depends what I am making, if a full size quilt than this could take 4 days, a lap quilt done in 1 or 2, also how long my back holds out (but that is an age thing!).

I would say if you are producing quality that you are pleased with don't worry about the numbers. You can more make smaller things such as earrings and probably make a fair few in a day, as I said a single bed quilt, there is no way I would cut and piece in 1 day, so as said before it is all dependent on what you make.

Just enjoy what you are making and don't put pressure on yourself to compete with what someone else does, we all work differently as we are all unique.

Comment

Can vary considerably depending on orders really.
                            Can be 1 a day to 12-15 a day on the run up to christmas.

I prefer to really take my time and have only 2 or 3 a day but it's amazing the buzz you can get when it's busy and you're working full on, just couldn't keep that sort of pace up for long though.

Comment

It depends on what Iam making, what wood I am using and what else there is to o. I have to try and be as quick as I can without compromising quality so that I can sell for a sensible price. Some things take 30 mins, others can take a few hours. Occasionally I make something that may take a few days. I am intending to get into a sort of production line mode in the New Year and part do a lot of things ready as I often have to change chucks, go from spindle to chuck etc etc. I suppose if I am doing something like crochet hooks I can make a dozen or so in a day, bowls probably 3 or 4 depending on the wood.

pete
                              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X